Which to buy- '06 or '08 coupe

Can't Stop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which model year would be better to get? The Viper would only be street driven on nice days, not tracked. It would be kept stock. Reliability would be more important than ultimate horsepower. Do the '08's have any problems with the variable cam timing or any other problems? I like the hoods on the '08's but with the larger vents, do they have overheating problems in 100 degree stop & go traffic? With the revised electronics in '08, were there gremlins? What problems do the '06's have? What should I look out for before buying a Viper I can read the specs, but would like some real world input before buying a Viper. After reading some of the posts, I am impressed with the knowledge & professionalism of the members of this site.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say go with the '08. Since you mentioned "Stop and go traffic" I am guessing you plan on taking it to work on those "nice days" and the clutch is much easier to deal with in an '08 than an '06 JMHO. The '08s don't have an overheating issue. Far from it in fact. Those big vents in the hood have a duel purpose. Not only do they extract hot air from under the hood, they also help to create downforce. I have not had any issues with my '08 in terms of electrical problems so i'm pretty sure you're o.k. there. You mentioned Reliability as well. Here is one thing to consider. I am not saying that anybody with an '06 has reliability issues, far from it. Dodge built these V/10's pretty solid. The point i'm trying to get at is if you go with the '08 you will have a car that is two years newer. Also, you will have 600HP under your right foot. :D Just something to consider.

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, you didn't mention price, but that's always a factor. The general consensus is that you should go with a Gen3 if you plan on building the motor or if you get an incredible deal. Go with the Gen4 for every other reason. I just went through this decision making process myself and have the same usage (although I drive it in bad weather) and I would say go with the Gen4.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^
I agree with both post above!! I went from 06 to 08. Get the 08.

Same here......The 08 is the ONLY way to go.NEVER had any heating or any other problems at all. NO GRIMLINS!!! and the 06 comes with "run crap tires". The handling is totally better in 08. :headbang:

The red one is the 06, the black one is the 08. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i love my 06 not one issue and never overheats. plus i love the wider stripes on the 06 instead of the 08

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06 with an 08 hood, 500 hp is plenty enough my other cars have more then enough power. So there was no need for the 600 hp version.

OP
OP
C

Can't Stop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx for the replies. I appreciate your opinions. O1Sapphire Bob--your right, it would be driven to work on 'nice days' and is there ever too much horsepower under the right foot?
Stranger355-A year and a half ago I was limited to an '06, but the '08 seem to have come down in price and the savings account has gone up.
VicTxV10 & Roysviper--Tx for the input that it was the right decision to step up and there was no remorse for the '06. Also for addressing the electrical. Electrical is harder (and scarier) for me to diagnose/fix than mechanical. QuickSRT10/SRT8 & 10SecSleeper--I was concerned that the '06s had the cooling prob. and that is why Dodge went w/ the large vents on the Gen4's. Tx for addressing that concern.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love my 08. Drove it to Salt Lake City and back without any issues as did everyone else in our club with gen 1,2,3 or 4 cars.

2006m5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also looking to buy a 08 vert
What would be a fair price on a 08 vert ,venom red with 1800 miles?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4