8 1/2 months to hopeful purchase

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, I just got my posting privileges after signing up for the forums a few days ago on a recommendation from V10SpeedLuvr.
He told me that most, if not all of the questions I have can be answered here.
Ain't that the truth!
Right now I am about 8 1/2 months away from hopefully purchasing the right '96 R/T (white w/blue stripes).
I've been informed from a number of things to look out for from "other forum" members, but there's something I am trying to clarify.
The '96 is Gen II but the motor is Gen 1? Can anyone confirm or deny and clarify that for me? Not sure it will change my mind on what I want, but it definitely feeds my need for knowledge.
Thanks for your help!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a Gen1 but has some of the Gen2 enhancements. Doesn't have side exhaust and I believe the horsepower is rated at 415 vs 400 for Gen1s and 450-460 for Gen2s. Side windows are the curtains ans no outside door handles. Very nice cars overall... ******** on here has a beauty with a tastefully done custom interior.

He was selling it but I'm not sure what the status is... Some pics in this thread...

http://forums.viperclub.org/general...s-bridgewater-somerville-nj-cruise-night.html

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard !!!

Many refer to the 1996 R/T 10 as a "Gen 1.5".

To me, it is basically a Gen I on a Gen II suspension, with a Gen II type of exhaust set up. MOST parts are same as a 1995...and, because of the confusion caused by two very different types of Vipers being offered in the same year, I always cross-check the part numbers with 1995 catalog in most instances...except fot the Gen II parts listed above.

Our 1996 R/T 10 certainly rides more like our 1997 GTS than our 1995 R/T 10...but, they are all good!!!

Hope that this helps...noting others may chime in with a few more fine points.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a Gen1 but has some of the Gen2 enhancements. Doesn't have side exhaust and I believe the horsepower is rated at 415 vs 400 for Gen1s and 450-460 for Gen2s. Side windows are the curtains ans no outside door handles. Very nice cars overall... ******** on here has a beauty with a tastefully done custom interior.

He was selling it but I'm not sure what the status is... Some pics in this thread...

http://forums.viperclub.org/general...s-bridgewater-somerville-nj-cruise-night.html

Welcome aboard !!!

Many refer to the 1996 R/T 10 as a "Gen 1.5".

To me, it is basically a Gen I on a Gen II suspension, with a Gen II type of exhaust set up. MOST parts are same as a 1995...and, because of the confusion caused by two very different types of Vipers being offered in the same year, I always cross-check the part numbers with 1995 catalog in most instances...except fot the Gen II parts listed above.

Our 1996 R/T 10 certainly rides more like our 1997 GTS than our 1995 R/T 10...but, they are all good!!!

Hope that this helps...noting others may chime in with a few more fine points.

Thanks for the welcome and the info!
One thing I really like about the Gen1 is the side exhaust, but I read a few places that the change to rear exhaust actually helped raise the overall performance. If it's not too big of a difference, can a GenII be retrofitted with the Gen1 exhaust or even the newer model (GenIII-GenIV) exhaust?

Only one thing that's caused a LITTLE concern has to do with the engine head gasket and it's need for replacement. Know of anyone that had an issue with it?

Thanks for your responses.

BTW: Would it be a ViperSin to remove the '96 blue stripes and put GTS stripes in their place?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad recommended you eh? And you are staying away from red Vipers? I like you already!:lmao:

Really, welcome to the VCA forums. Alot of good people here, minus Chad!:rolaugh:

To answer your other question, no, gen 3 exhaust won't work. Yes, a gen 1 side pipe can be made to work if you really wanted it though. Advantage of the rear exhaust is you won't just hear 5 cylinders....

Again, welcome. Feel free to ask away! We all love the Viper subject. :)

Robert

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only one thing that's caused a LITTLE concern has to do with the engine head gasket and it's need for replacement. Know of anyone that had an issue with it?

With so many leaking early on, I think it'd be pretty easy to find a car that has already had the MLS gaskets installed.

BTW: Would it be a ViperSin to remove the '96 blue stripes and put GTS stripes in their place?

Not at all. We had a member here several years ago who did that, car was gorgeous!

Welcome! Be careful telling people that Chad recommended you join. He has quite a few enemies on here. :)

I'm equal opportunity at least. I've also got guys in Lambos, Ferraris and Bugattis after me :omg: :rolaugh:

Chad recommended you eh? And you are staying away from red Vipers? I like you already!:lmao:

I have a recommendation for you as well....but its very rude so I'll hold my tongue for now ;) :D

Last edited:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the info!
One thing I really like about the Gen1 is the side exhaust, but I read a few places that the change to rear exhaust actually helped raise the overall performance. If it's not too big of a difference, can a GenII be retrofitted with the Gen1 exhaust or even the newer model (GenIII-GenIV) exhaust?

Thanks for your responses.

Some would argue that converting a '96 to side exhaust will actually help performance since you will be reducing the overall weight of the car. I personally think it would be kinda cool if you converted the car to side exhaust. As far as the "viper sin," if you want to restripe the car then go right ahead. Have not seen a '96 rt/10 with full stripes so I say got for it!!!!! Oh and by the way....welcome to the boards!! :)

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
welcome! Sounds like you'll have quite a gem. White 96s were always among my favorite Vipers.

I can't remember the numbers off hands, but 96 was a low production year for R/T-10s (up until then, it was 2nd only to 1992). 415 hp, 488 lb torque for 96. I believe only 320-something came in white/blue saber tipped stripes, so would it be a sacrilegious to change up the stripes?? you decide. Also 1996 was the first production year at Connor Ave.

A pretty cool year in my opinion. Arguably one of the most interesting years for R/T-10s.

to add to the side pipes vs rear exit, I feel it's all a matter of preference, as each has a unique sound (I actually luv them both, the drone of sidepipes, the growl of rearpipes). As far as the HP boost, it came due to the change to the rear exit/single muffler exhaust design, which was freer flowing, as well as intake changes, but I sure a modified side exhaust would yield better flow vs stock rear exit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the great welcome everyone!
Got another question. Can these cars be tuned to be stronger and faster without adding any go fast additions?
With my current cars I know they can be Dyno-tuned for increased HP and Tq without adding any engine/drivetrain mods. Initially with a Viper I want to learn how to really drive it, but after that I don't know that I would change much having to do with the drivetrain. Funny as it may sound, I'm looking at this specific year and color because I wouldn't change a thing ever! It's a car that I see as done already.

Not sure that I will change the exhaust once I actually get the Viper. Best thing about the side pipes to me are the looks but I'm really trying to not let that overpower what I think a Viper was made for: Power and speed. If a side exhaust would lessen the performance then it would be a no-no. When it comes to the head gasket, that makes the search a li'l more interesting. Have to take that into account and ask the questions.

Last edited:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure that I will change the exhaust once I actually get the Viper.

Once you hear a Viper stock exhaust, you'll change it :D Maybe not to side pipes, but you'll upgrade the exhaust system. Great sounding (or performance oriented) stock exhaust is not something that Vipers are known for. My stock exhaust manifolds must've weighed 400lbs each :)

OP
OP
M

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once you hear a Viper stock exhaust, you'll change it :D Maybe not to side pipes, but you'll upgrade the exhaust system. Great sounding (or performance oriented) stock exhaust is not something that Vipers are known for. My stock exhaust manifolds must've weighed 400lbs each :)

Yeah, the moment you do your first mod, it is all down hill and open season. :rolaugh:

That's what I'm trying to avoid, but honestly if it'll help me increase hp and tq, I'm all for it.
'nother question: I noticed that there are two TB's as opposed to the 1 I'm used to seeing on cars. Are there CAI options for the Gen1 and Gen2 cars? If there are do they help enough to spend the money or is negligible?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I'm trying to avoid, but honestly if it'll help me increase hp and tq, I'm all for it.
'nother question: I noticed that there are two TB's as opposed to the 1 I'm used to seeing on cars. Are there CAI options for the Gen1 and Gen2 cars? If there are do they help enough to spend the money or is negligible?

Most people just go with smooth intake tubes and either K&N or Green intake filters. Supposedly, this combo picks up 10HP..mostly from the air filters I believe. I've read the complete aftermarket intake systems actually **** in more hot air than cold air. I've never seen a true "CAI" system (where the filter(s) hangs down near the bottom of the car near a wheel) for a Viper.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vendor wise (in alphabetical order). All are A+++++ vendors who you can trust 100%

Parts Rack (best to call, website only shows ~10% of his inventory)
Roe Racing
Tator's Garage
Viper Parts of America
Woodhouse Dodge

The one NOT to use:
XVipers (Michael Nouri)

For tuners, I'll let others speak up, as my car is stock so I've never had to go to a tuner

Check out this forum for vendor reviews:
http://forums.viperclub.org/new-products-supplier-specials-group-buys-vendor-reviews/

Last edited: