GTS "BASS" Solution - Update and Volunteer needed...

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to update you guys with this "Bass solution project", since I have had a few PM's from some of you and I don't want to leave you guys hanging without knowing a little about what's going on. I NEED A FEW VOLUNTEERS!!!! SEE MORE BELOW! Since I started working on this 3 weeks ago I have built and re-designed about 4 of these kits as test subjects to test the acoustics, weight, dimensions and other related properties that myself and you guys would be looking for in a design like this.

Once again, the goals of this project are:

1. Add some much needed Bass to our car's existing audio, while using our stock amplifier.
2. It must be light weight.
3. Maintaining the location of the spare tire for safety (per the original Viper design) in case of a rear end impact.
4. Having the ability to remove this with ease, for track outings
5. Have a "Show Worthy" appearance to impress others and add more "car show trophies" to your collection.

So with the above challenges I have to face, here is where I am at, as of now.

1. Done
2. As of now, the total weight is 37.5 lbs with both of the subwoofers included. Materials for the next phase should be approximately 2 lbs, so the final product should still be under 40 lbs.
3. Done
4. Should take approximately 5 minutes or less to remove this entire kit and head to the track.
5. I am working out details and ready to move forward on this phase.

Of course the above goals are for the "Stage 1" kit, which will use the stock amplifier, but I would also like to provide a "Stage 2" kit, that will have an additional amplifier for those of you that really want to be heard. I will discuss details on this kit after I complete the "Stage 1" kit and make it available.

VOLUNTEERS! If you are in the Austin area and are willing to come down south. I am located just a few miles from A.R.T. if that helps with the general area of Austin, (near I35 and Slaughter). I need about 2 volunteers, soon, preferable with a stock stereo or if you have an after market stereo, that will be fine, but I am looking for a few cars with a more "stock amplifier" application. I would like to use your car for about 30 minutes to "test fit" this kit and check the acoustics from an outsider's point of view. In exchange, I am willing to give you a break in the price of this kit to make it worth your while. And of course, I will be very careful with your car! PLEASE PM ME AND WE CAN WORK OUT DETAILS. I will post up in this thread when I have enough volunteers so I don't waist anyone's time, Thanks.

If you have missed a little about what's going on with this, check out the link here to see what I am talking about and the goals / solution of this project in this thread here: http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...s-working-serious-project-you-interested.html

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics will come but I don't want to spoil all the fun! Just use your imagination for now and picture yourself going deaf.

ok.... here's a picture my friend took of me trying to figure out hot to get the sub into our cars. This is why it's taking me so long on this.

You must be registered for see images attach

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-Frog- what is your background in car audio? I would guess you have some extensive experience. In a past life I was a custom car installer for Tweeter. I have worked on and created $15,000+ show car audio systems, if you ever want to bounce some idea off me feel free, I think it is great what you are doing :2tu:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the good stuff always happens in Texas...I need to move...

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of drivers are you using? At 37lbs they can't be that big. Will they go down below 20hz?

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
-Frog- what is your background in car audio? I would guess you have some extensive experience. In a past life I was a custom car installer for Tweeter. I have worked on and created $15,000+ show car audio systems, if you ever want to bounce some idea off me feel free, I think it is great what you are doing :2tu:

Thanks Johnny, I appreciate the offer. My experience is just from my hobby and interests in car audio which lead me down the road to my current technical / engineering career. I have done tons of installs and car audio work but nothing in the price range of what you have done, lol. Very cool! I have exhausted most of the angles and resources for this particular design, while keeping it somewhat price friendly, but I'll let you know if I need a little advice. Thanks!

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of drivers are you using? At 37lbs they can't be that big. Will they go down below 20hz?

Good observation. I'll get all the detailed info out later, but these drivers are 12" and very light weight for a reason. I want to have low powered drivers which are easier to drive from our stock amplifier. The GOOD thing about lower powered drivers is, they are alot lighter in weight. If I were go with competition 2,000 Watt or 3,000 watt drivers, we will easiely exceed 100lbs in the car. Also, higher wattage drivers require ALOT of power just to get them suckers going, which means we would need a larger amplifier, adding even more weight to the car. Unfortunately, air space is VERY limited in the trunk IF you keep the spare tire in the trunk, which is one of my requrements for this project. Many of the competition, custom Viper steups you may see every once in a blue moon require a TON of air space for their subwoofer setups. This is the main reason you see the enclosures taking up the entire trunk and removing the spare tire is a requirement to gain this much needed air space. Typically larger and higher powered subs require a ton of air space but I am pretty darn close in my design, to what is needed for these particular subs I am using. The subs I am using are a VERY WELL known brand. I am designing this for myself, just the same as I am designing it for you guys, so I don't want some crappy cheap speakers back there. We Viper owners have a reputation to uphold at car shows, so these are name brand, competitive speakers with other show cars.

About 20hz, well the human ear cannot hear below 20hz. These speakers, in this particular enclosure are screaming at about 29hz to 40hz when I do a frequiency sweep in the current state it's in now, with my function generator. However, keep in mind, my enclosure has not been fully sealed yet because I am still working on the design. Also, I will gain a little more air space in the end product than what I currently have at the moment. So in the end, with more air space and a tightly sealed enclosure, I do expect them to resonate pretty well around 25hz possibly. But, in real world applications, bass below 30hz is usually only heard in "bass competition" type music. Most music from POP, Rap, Country, Rock, etc... will only use bass frequiencies from the 30hz - 60hz range with bass drums, bass guitars and synthesizers. The weird thing, is these subs actually do come alive again at 22hz, but it's just a bunch of SPL (Sound Pressure Level) movement from some kind of resonating harmonic from the box...

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am using a pair of 12" kicker solo classics, they are a throw back to the solo barics of the 90's Can handle a good amount of power and sound awesome not to mention itty bitty living space.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
given your knowledge I'm sure you may know this, you can stuff the enclosure to simulate a larger airspace however a tip: I found that if you do a good thick coat on the inside of the enclosure with dynomax or stinger roadkill spray then stuff it the enclosure will work better with the subs if you are lacking air space, i have even forgone the stuffing and just used the spray with excellent results

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh