***Viper GTS Bass Solution - "Frog Box" - teaser pics***

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be posting this in the SRT section as well, because I would like to eventually provide something for the SRT folks as well in the future.

*REMEMBER* This kit slides right into your car in a matter of seconds and can be removed just as easy when you want to go to the track. Also, is keeps the spare tire in place for the safety of a rear end collision, preventing the gas tank from rupturing!

OK folks, you asked for it. It's 3:30pm Saturday and still haven't had anything to eat because I am really excited to post up some pics of a semi-final product for the "Stage 1" kit. It has been 1 month since I first came up with a concept to help us Viper guys get some Bass and it has been a very loooong month with many trials and error to make this the best solution to the problem with many other benefits. This will use your stock amp so there is no need to spend money on another amp unless you want to. I did a little re-thinking and brainstorming with friends and feel like this is a good way to name these kits below. I will probably be calling these the "Frog Box" and have a few different stages, with options for each stage. I will probably be moving this concept forward into other vehicles as well, like SRT 10's and possibly other high end cars as well. So I may be providing a "Frog Box" for the SRT 10, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Corvette. We shall see where this goes and if I have the time / resources to make this happen for other cars.

Stage 1 - Basic box, carpeted or wrapped in vinyl or leather. Will be able to do custom orders for this but basic black fabric will probably be the norm. With the speakers included, this will be about $500 and plug directly in to your stock amp to enhance the lacking bass and be nice enough to show off. Total weight of this kit with the speakers is 38lbs.

Stage 2 - This will have a fiberglass top instead of fabric. The subwoofers will be elevated and angled to bring out the custom styling you would expect from a custom subwoofer installation. This will look much more professional and be painted to match your cars color or possibly even be wrapped for custom options. This will also run off the stock amp and I expect this to weigh around 40lbs.

Stage 3 - Will be exactly like the Stage 2, but will have a fiberglass mount on top, in the middle for the amplifier, matching the styling of the subwoofers with a VERY custom look, pushing some serious bass through your Viper. This will be a bit overkill but will be alot of fun.

ok, here we go with pictures. I'll try to explain a few details when necessary about the pics. Don't mind my dusty car... It was a sacrifice I made to get something built for you guys!

*NOTE* Some pictures were taken with the flash on and off, to see the differences.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! SO light!

The box will have carpet / fabric all around the sides to prevent scraping on your trunk area parts. I didn't apply this at the moment because I wanted to get pics posted.

All boxes will have poly-fill included, to help with the bass.

Caulking will be done on the inside AND the outside of the box for the best seal and best BASS!

Spring terminals will be installed for easy, quick connections.

A few pics of a typical day in the garage....

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What little bit of storage there was is now completely eliminated. I guess I am not enough of an audiophile.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JL audio is a great choice, i'm guessing JL 12 W3 i used them when I was competing in audio shows, if i remember correctly depending on the ohms you use you can go as big as 1.125-1.25 cubic feet of air space, however they work great in .75 cubic feet if you "stuff" the box. Also did you use 3/4 inch mdf? you can get away with 1/2 inch if you spray stinger road kill further reducing weight. It looks like you have about a foot of air space, there is room to shrink the box if that is the case. If the are indeed 12s, consider doing 10s, you can shrink the box down and reduce weight even more and they are happy in a stuffed .5-.6 cubic box and the bass will still be teeth rattling, nice work

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also thank you for putting a divider between the subs, its often overlooked and really does make a difference, nice quality work :2tu:

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What little bit of storage there was is now completely eliminated. I guess I am not enough of an audiophile.

The point of this design was to maintain the location of the spare tire for safety, a light weight design, use your stock amplifier, car show worthy and easy, practical removal of the box for the drag strip or trips when you would need the storage space for luggage. So if you need your trunk space, you spend a munite to take the kit out and put your luggage in the car.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks JohnnyViper. I considered doing 10's but the air space will be increased with the fiberglass box (which is the original concept I came up with) so the 12's will work fine. The air space is right, at 1ft at the moment and should be right around the required 1.3 when the fiberglass box is complete. For now, this 1ft of space is plenty though! I actually used 1/2" MDF because if the light weight and the walls are small enough so there shouldn't be any flexing to worry about. The divider in the middle is for sound but also to help prevent any flexing. I originally built the box with 5/8"MDF but the 1/2" is actually perfect for this.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That takes whatever storage was left out of the picture. I was hoping to keep some sort of storage as the car is my daily driver....

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That takes whatever storage was left out of the picture. I was hoping to keep some sort of storage as the car is my daily driver....

I might can custom make something to run a single sub and give you some storage but it wouldn't look proportional. Sorry about that. I'll keep this in mind to see if I can come up with any ideas...

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice build but I think you overlooked something. The vents are blocked.......

Keep in mind that just because it's not totally sealed doesn't mean enough air displaced from both airbags can be evacuated in 8 milliseconds.

I think if you cut off the wings you may be able to solve the problem.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Keep in mind that just because it's not totally sealed doesn't mean enough air displaced from both airbags can be evacuated in 8 milliseconds.

The vents aren't really blocked. I took that into consideration. I didn't realize those were specifically for the air bags though? I have had vents like these in cars that didn't have air bags so I assumed it was for general air pressure relief from opening and closing doors or closing the hatch glass. All these things work fine but have not heard anything about the air vents and air bags relation. I do have a solution for that if need be though. Cutting off the wings will not look like professional car show worthy material but I will consider it and maybe a re-design. Do you have any data on the air bag deployment specs? I would like to check that out. Thanks!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's an easy fix, cut a smaller hole either side of the speaker boxes and fit a smaller speaker grille over the holes :2tu:

Nice work Frog :2tu:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well consider the volume of air that both airbags contain. Then consider that amount of air rushing through the cabinet at supersonic speeds. Where can it go? Either blow out the windows, or out vents. Also when you're driving with the windows down there will be back pressure build up in the trunk and putting strain on the window attachments. That's probably one reason why people have had hinges come lose. On the other hand if your airbag blows the last of your worries is if you blow out your ear drums. :dunno:

Here was my sub enclosure prior to adding a nitrous bottle. I had to compromise the spare for keeping the vents free. With the W7 that thing weighs like 40lbs. So now I make sure I have a can of fix a flat at all times.

Attachments

• kevlar sub.JPG
    kevlar sub.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fixed it for ya!

The point of this design was to maintain the location of the spare tire for convenience (of having a spare) , a light weight design, use your stock amplifier, car show worthy and easy, practical removal of the box for the drag strip or trips when you would need the storage space for luggage. So if you need your trunk space, you spend a munite to take the kit out and put your luggage in the car.

The safety aspect of the spare is urban legend. Having one on board if you get a flat is priceless:)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the legend of the spare tire is that in an RT/10 it is part of the crash structure but not a GTS. Old news here, search the old threads if you don't trust my memory.

Looks great man. Interested in hearing it someday. I don't carry my spare anyway, I installed a TPMS system and carry the SRT goo-n-pump kit.

Regarding storage, I do use the GTS for grocery and Lowe's runs quite a bit, but the front seat holds most of my shopping so no biggie here. I've got a 1-ton when stocking up for the entire week :beer:

PS I would as was suggested install some screened vents in the sides of the visible plate for pneumatic access to the cabin vents. One of those whyTF nots in my world.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well consider the volume of air that both airbags contain. Then consider that amount of air rushing through the cabinet at supersonic speeds. Where can it go? Either blow out the windows, or out vents. Also when you're driving with the windows down there will be back pressure build up in the trunk and putting strain on the window attachments. That's probably one reason why people have had hinges come lose. On the other hand if your airbag blows the last of your worries is if you blow out your ear drums. :dunno:

Here was my sub enclosure prior to adding a nitrous bottle. I had to compromise the spare for keeping the vents free. With the W7 that thing weighs like 40lbs. So now I make sure I have a can of fix a flat at all times.

Yes, it makes total sence that the vents are there to compliment the air bag release, but I have seen vents on many cars that did not have air bags, so I didn't think it was specifically for that. I'm making adjustments to the boxes and working on a nes single design now so we'll see if I can come up with something to make folks happy that want some trunk space. I never use my trunk and many others I know do not either, but I'll make some adjustments. I will make it so you can still keep the spare though... Also the W7's are nice, but ultra heavy and very expensive, so I'll try to come up with something to help folks on a budget. Nice Kevlar setup though!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every vehicle has vents to move air. When they added airbags in the '80s they had to really enlarge the vents. I've seen high speed film that showed windows getting blown out when there wasn't enough venting.

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any updates?

A few of my other threads were taken down about this, because I'm not a supporting Vendor / Sponsor. I didn't think about that when I originally posted about this and should have been more considerate to folks paying dues to sell and promote products. It's all good and no harm was done. However, my real world work contract was extended with my job in Austin, so I am not "out of work" like I assumed I would be. Because I am working so much at my job, I don't have time to work on the speaker enclosures like I origionally assumed I would. Maybe in a few months I will be able to get back on this! Sorry folks.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As mentioned awhile ago in one of your other posts. Please consider building a box that can angle the 2 subs(one on each side) with a space for 2 amps mounted in the middle. I will be in the Market for this next year most likely. I would this year if I wasn't buying so much other stuff.

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good!

I too may be interested in a sub box which makes use of the two sides.

Looks like you have another sweet ride in your garage too! :)

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As mentioned awhile ago in one of your other posts. Please consider building a box that can angle the 2 subs(one on each side) with a space for 2 amps mounted in the middle. I will be in the Market for this next year most likely. I would this year if I wasn't buying so much other stuff.

FYI if you end up going with a different set up, i would be interested in buying your current box

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456