Matte Black Wheel Care Question

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I got my SSR's powder coated matte black. Like the last set of wheels I had done I went to put a coat of wax on them and used meguiars nxt paste wax. I let it sit overnight so the wax would dry and came back this morning to remove the wax. What I found below was an extremely uneven shine, loomed horrible. Just spend 2 hours rewashing the wheels with dawn and hot water and I'm almost back to square one. Sob story aside what do you do to keep the wheels protected from brake dust and other crap? Wax was not my friend.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for a coating. I found that when I kept a fresh coat of wax on my gloss powder coated oem wheels the brake dust just washed right off no issues.

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
CCW said you can use this stuff. They supply a small amount with their polished wheels, but said it is safe to use on painted surfaces as well.

RejeX

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine are a satin black powdercoat finish and anything other than a cleaning solution tends to gloss them up a bit which is ok for me. I have used Speedshine and Plegde on them with good results for cleaning up brakedust afterwards.

Bruce

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine are a satin black powdercoat finish and anything other than a cleaning solution tends to gloss them up a bit which is ok for me. I have used Speedshine and Plegde on them with good results for cleaning up brakedust afterwards.

Bruce

Mine are actually a satin finish, found out today. Pledge like furniture polish?

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine are actually a satin finish, found out today. Pledge like furniture polish?

You got it. It is not just for Furniture anymore. I have used it on apint on my daily driver but not the viper. It works great on the rims though.

Bruce

F

FrgMstr

This is the issue. Matte black with satin finish and matte black with a smooth finish are two totally different animals. Satin is going to be a bear to take care off comparatively. I have two sets non-smooth finish matte black wheels for my Hummer. The problem is that if you do not clean these well, you will get residue and oxidation build up on the finish leaving a white/gray staining on these. Best thing to do is scrub these clean with a good grease cutting detergent like Dawn. If you want to keep the matte look, then do not put anything on them afterwards. Be careful not to scrub these with a really hard tire brush either, because then you will start to "polish" the finish. Honestly, I always found a layer of break dust on mine always made them look better in terms of the matte finish.

Clean them well and leave them alone is always what worked best for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave