CEL was not throwing any codes via ignition or obd *FIX

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I would post this so that it may help someone with a similar experience.

I am new to the viper community I have owned my 2006 coupe with 19k for about 1 yr.

I was driving home from work (38 mile drive). The check engine light appeared since I was almost home I drove slow all the way home.

When I got home I decided to look online to see how I can pull codes. I couldn't find much here until I found a Dodge Truck SRT forum that showed how to pull codes with a ignition check. I thought I have the same motor probably same ecm I will try it out.

Ignition CEL test
The instructions were
- to put the key into ignition turn to on position
- turn key back to off
- repeat 3 times total at a rapid pace and the check engine light will start flashing in a series of flashes that can be deciphered into a code that you can look up.

Or you can go to autozone and they can do a obdII test to pull your code for free.

I did both and I got no codes.

I then read on another thread here who posted that their 08 wasn't throwing any codes. Link to that thread and learned about a Full throttle reset, which basically teaches the PCM what Wide open throttle is.

Full Throttle reset
The instructions for that were:
- push throttle down to the floor
- turn key off while foot still depressed
- restart car

I tried that and that didn't work.

I kept looking until I came across a couple people saying when the viper doesn't give you a code it could be the gas cap leaking causing the check engine light to stay on without a code.

Went to O'Reilly's and purchased a standard non-locking gas cap (non-locking cause I read the viper guys were saying that the locking caps didn't seal as well or would fail faster) Link to part. So I put the gas cap on and I restarted the car. The light remained on so I turned the car off and did the full throttle reset and restarted the car and the CEL went off.

Thinking back on my experience I remembered when my car would sit for long periods of time in my garage that my gas gauge almost seemed a lot less then before I parked it. I never thought anything was wrong cause I wouldn't remember what the exact last gas reading was before I parked it. It just never seemed right, never had a a cel, so didn't think anything of it.

I just wanted to share my experience with you guys so that you don't have to search around to find this information and it might pertain to someone out there.:usa:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I then read on another thread here who posted that their 08 wasn't throwing any codes. Link to that thread and learned about a Full throttle reset, which basically teaches the PCM what Wide open throttle is.

Full Throttle reset
The instructions for that were:
- push throttle down to the floor
- turn key off while foot still depressed
- restart car

I tried that and that didn't work.
Hadn't heard of that one. I think I read somewhere to disconnect the battery for a few min and it will reset the PCM.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave