Front Brake Pad Question

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 98 GTS and decided to start buying parts for some routine maitenance. I will be changing the rear differential oil, replacing the brake pads, changing the brake fluid, and replacing all the tires.

My question is, I purchased some "OE" pads for the car and the front pads have sensor wires moulded into the pad material near the backing plate. I have a 98' factory service manual and it's clear this was not used. Can somebody explain what the purpose of this wire is?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just snip the wire off. I don't know what other car this pad is used on. I assume that it must be for a low pad wear indicator, not used on the Viper.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what other car this pad is used on. I assume that it must be for a low pad wear indicator, not used on the Viper.

Interesting. I found the box that my EBC greens came in. They had the wires on them. The box lists Dodge Viper, Alfa Romeo GTV, and Fiat turbo coupe as the application. Probably is an indication why the EBC greens don't have the same stopping power as the OE formulation.

I did some googling. A Bendix pad listed for the Viper fronts on Autozone is listed on Summit for the rears for a Cadillac CTS/STS, Jaguar XJR/XKR, Volvo S60/V70, 2010 Camaro and Challenger.

It just goes to show that one has to be careful that just because a cross reference says a pad will fit the Viper; it doesn't mean that the formulation is what you want for your application.

If it is just for casual street driving, it probably doesn't matter too much, though. You would have to be the judge on that.

Reaction score
And be sure to get the Mopar limited slip additive from your dealer when you change the rear end fluid. Many an owner will post here after a change and complain of rubbing noises on turns without realizing that it was the lack of the additive when their gear oil was changed - even at many dealerships.

Congrats on your new car, now be sure to join the VCA, it's never been easier!

https://www.viperclub.org/join/

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely understand the need for the additive, as I reviewed the functionality of it back when I changed the differential oil in my trucks. The additive makes the LSD slip more, which doesn't sound like a good thing for an off-road vehicle, but is definitely crucial for a sports car.

Is the additive Viper specific? I suppose I can get the part number from the service manual to verify they provide the correct product.

And be sure to get the Mopar limited slip additive from your dealer when you change the rear end fluid. Many an owner will post here after a change and complain of rubbing noises on turns without realizing that it was the lack of the additive when their gear oil was changed - even at many dealerships.

Congrats on your new car, now be sure to join the VCA, it's never been easier!

https://www.viperclub.org/join/

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, the OEM pads had no wires.

MOPAR "Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140" 04874469...PLUS...MOPAR " Limited Slip Additive Friction Modifier" 04318060AB.

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to be clear, the OEM pads had no wires.

MOPAR "Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140" 04874469...PLUS...MOPAR " Limited Slip Additive Friction Modifier" 04318060AB.

I definitely realize the brake pads from the factory did not have this sensor wire. The brake pads are the OE compound semi-metallic brake pads from Kelsey-Hayes. It looks like the front brakes pads are the same as the Jaguar XKR.

Thanks for providing the part numbers for the rear axle service. The last time I went to the Dodge dealership to ask for the synthetic gear lube, they told me to go to the auto parts store! I will make sure I get the correct fluid additive either way.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You should have no trouble finding the correct fluids for, as I recall, you are near Roanoke. Ask for a VCA discount (once you have your VCA # in hand)!!!

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have no trouble finding the correct fluids for, as I recall, you are near Roanoke. Ask for a VCA discount (once you have your VCA # in hand)!!!

Good call on the discount! I planned to take the car over to Roanoke once the weather warms, so I'll add the fluids on the list of things to pick up. I also need to figure out of this car needs any of the safety recalls. I'd feel bad if I was on the track with this car and had the rear suspension come apart!

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like my GTS had the recall performed in 2002 by Bettenhausen Dodge in Tinley Park, IL. The Carfax for this car has all of the dealer maitenance listed, and it appears to be well documented. The oil was changed regularly and the coolant was changed at 10K miles and 25K miles. This is by far the nicest car I will ever own!

Now, the question is, where do I get this car aligned? Should I insist on Dodge dealer, or are most shops capable of setting the alignment? The car drives super-straight, but I'd like a bit more negative camber for auto-x season. Also, what are your experiences getting tires mounted? I will likely hand-carry the wheels/tires to have them mounted, so I don't have to worry about people not treating my car well. I hear people complain about tire mounting costs, but it seems to me that it shouldn't cost more than ~$20-$25 per tire to have it mounted and balanced.

To check Dodge's database on recalls, enter the last 8 digits of your VIN at their self service site:

Dodge - Contact Us

The main recall to check is 998.
:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...recall-998-999-read-before-you-go-dealer.html

Good luck!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Join the ILL VCA...great bunch, MUCH experience on tracks & SERIOUS auto-cross, well connected, very helpful !!!

That said, see if they can point you to best shop in your area. Once correctly aligned, remember you can grab about another degree of negative camber yourself for auto-cross easily by removing sport shims; they are easily reinstalled post event, no need to realign once you know the ropes.

Call Luke at Tire Rack 1-888-541-177 or 1-888-371-8473...his extension is 362...ask him about tire mounters in your area.

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll definitely have to join the VCA... can't wait to meet other viper enthusiasts in the area. There's a guy locally here with an ACR SRT-10 with the license plate "Beat ZR1". He is FAST on the track! And people say you can't auto-cross a viper.

I can't wait for warmer weather. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next year when I'll have to keep the car put away the entire winter!

Join the ILL VCA...great bunch, MUCH experience on tracks & SERIOUS auto-cross, well connected, very helpful !!!

That said, see if they can point you to best shop in your area. Once correctly aligned, remember you can grab about another degree of negative camber yourself for auto-cross easily by removing sport shims; they are easily reinstalled post event, no need to realign once you know the ropes.

Call Luke at Tire Rack 1-888-541-177 or 1-888-371-8473...his extension is 362...ask him about tire mounters in your area.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
By the way, I think that you'll get more readers and possibly better responses to your questions by moving over to the "RT/10 and GTS Discussions"... just a suggestion.

OP
OP
J

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, I think that you'll get more readers and possibly better responses to your questions by moving over to the "RT/10 and GTS Discussions"... just a suggestion.

I'll go ahead and leave this thread here. I can't think of too many other questions I'll have that haven't already been mentioned here at least 100 times. This site is an excellent resource.