Recent Viper crash in Miami on Route 1

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct, but this thread is about an accident involving a Viper and dead people in the car the Viper hit, not your **** fantasies.

i think the big 10 cylinder did the prius in, not the heels

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sad for all, even if fashion cause this

btw, i drive my viper in flip flops all the time, they give great pedal feel, but never wearing my luccheses

You must be registered for see images

Ricksnake1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Say what you may about Dave, but I love the step by step mod`s he posted of his side sills.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
people in cowboy boots drive vipers too:nono: kinda like guy high heels:nono::lmao:

F

FrgMstr

High heels are the real killer here. I think we need the Democrats to look into this.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad situation, RIP.

I've got to wonder though, even though it was a head on, the passenger compartments are very much intact....were seatbelts worn by the drivers/passenger?

George

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't disagree with Dave....very familiar with OSHA (a) dated someone from OSHA (briefly) and (b) OSHA is all over my fire house.

So, yes, high heels in factories and situations similar...not allowed under any circumstances. OSHA not present in Corporate America, offices loaded with women in medium/high heels...no regulations there...in fact, probably looked favorably upon by the male corporate execs! :D

At car washes I'm familiar with, it is possible not only to get the bottom of your shoes wet, but wet AND soapy. Wet soapy shoes of any kind can slip off the gas/brake/clutch pedal causing possible panic and loss of control. So, let's not totally shoot the driver in the high heel (food)! Regardless of the cause, she lost control of a difficult to control car in the first place and two innocent people were killed...THAT is where the focus should be at this point until all the facts are available. And, even if the police report is made available, we may never know the "real" reason she lost control...might have been changing the radio station, answering her cell phone, sneezed, etc.!

And, yes, that step by step post by Dave was awesome!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meanwhile, high heels are stupid for walking let alone operating something with pedals.
Totally agree, they should be kept for walking around the bedroom :D

On a more serious note, Woo Hoo, one less Prius on the road,

BUT .....
Very very sorry to hear of the loss of the Driver and Passenger :( As a police officer, that I guess has to be one of your worse jobs informing relations of the tragic accident :(

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
As a Prius (wife's) and Viper (mine) owner, I will be interested to hear more about this once the police report is available. As George mentioned, the passenger compartment looks fairly intact. This is very concerning to me.
Thoughts and prayers to both families of those involved in the accident and may the couple RIP.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More information. I spoke to three other employees at the hand car wash when I had one of my cars washed today. All confirmed that the driver of the Viper was wearing high heels. They also confirmed that it was a Gen IV. ( They recognized the hood air ducts.) I also happened to sit next to two vehicular homicide detectives at lunch today. I asked about the accident. They indicated that there was another team of investigators looking into the event but that such an investigation is standard where a death occurs.

snakestress

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is quite sad to hear (and ironic). I drive with heels MOST of the time and thats because I am a shorty. I wear heels all the time so for me it is almost second nature. I walk/run/hike/drive in heels and my bf thinks its ridiculous but I have never ever had a problem with them. Common sense though when I am stepping on wet surface and before I get in the car, I check my shoes for traction and check carpet position and pedals, etc. Definitely makes me think twice about driving in my heels now though.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a shame, sorry to the family in the Prius. That's quite a lickin' that car took. Mythbusters did a whole thing on something like this, I won't get into all that but like bluesrt said, that V10 outweighs the front end of the Prius by a long shot. There's going to be alot of data about this one, speed, velocity, etc. That car had to been hauling somewhat to get across that median.

--RS

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the frames in the video at 1:44, 1:45 and 1:46. In particular look at the front right wheel position. The passenger compartment of the Prius is not intact. This was a head on collision. The Viper was proceeding South on U.S. 1 and jumped the median directly into the path of the Prius in the north bound lane.

As a Prius (wife's) and Viper (mine) owner, I will be interested to hear more about this once the police report is available. As George mentioned, the passenger compartment looks fairly intact. This is very concerning to me.
Thoughts and prayers to both families of those involved in the accident and may the couple RIP.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all know Vipers are pretty safe cars. I wouldn't think a Prius could survive a wreck with a wheelbarrow without being totalled. I'm saddened about the deaths, but I'm not surprised that the Viper driver lived and the Prius couple did not. RIP.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
High heels are the real killer here. I think we need the Democrats to look into this.

lol, oh its coming im sure. you just KNOW we NEED legislation for this.

and im sure there are a bunch of guys here who this will effect

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the big problem with car washes...excess tire dressing. This not only gets on the ground in the area that the driver re-enters the car (getting on the soles of your shoes), but also too much on the tire tread area and also on the ground leaving the car wash.

Who knows what happened....just speculation.

Bob, how far is the car wash from the accident scene?

My opinion is that to have both occupants die with seat belts on would be extremely rare....yes the car was mangled, but the head trauma area was not too bad from the limited video I could see. You might have crushed your legs, broken arms, etc, but to lose two souls in a modern car with airbags because of not wearing seat belts would be a damn shame.

Again, very sad for all involved.

George

George

Reaction score
Bob -I don't remember this accident being on our local news stations or in the newspaper, do you?

You would think a head on accident with a death would make the news.

And yes, I tend to watch the news and read the newspaper everyday.

Reaction score
I would assume the car wash will be involved in the litigation with the Viper insurance company.

Since we have a lot of the drivers down here have no auto insurance whatsoever, I would assume the Viper owner had the appropriate $$$ level of insurances and the car was registered and legal.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe she took off her shoes to drive when she got in the car ? i know i have done this many times with my flip flops.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You were told she was wearing high heels and you felt compelled to tell us. I feel that is a green light for me to respond to that. If it turns out what you were told was incorrect and you tell us something else you were told that makes my categorizing her as a stupid idiot as malicious or mean on my part, I will post an apology. Meanwhile, high heels are stupid for walking let alone operating something with pedals.
Tough crowd here - but,

Last edited by a moderator:

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe she took off her shoes to drive when she got in the car ? i know i have done this many times with my flip flops.

Dang it. You beat me to the punch.......

Directly saying that the Viper driver was at fault here is premature. Then attributing it to her shoes?

Suppose it was a kid trying to cross the road? She saved the kids life, got out of the way and then hit the Prius.

And another thing......what is with the morbid people taking video and pictures of this stuff.? It is dangerous, wastes everyone's time in traffic, etc. Get a life and get some common respect for others.....

Classless.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would assume the Viper owner had the appropriate $$$ level of insurances and the car was registered and legal.
Nobody carries enough auto insurance limit to cover two fatalities. Bigger limits if the driver is a rich guy with umbrella coverage that kicks in, but this situation is most assuredly going to underinsured motorist coverage and if so, good luck to the family of the deceased as insurance carriers regularly flirt with bad faith on underinsured coverage (of course if they were elderly as reported above, and had no positive impact on the finances of their survivors, the sad reality is that their deaths will not be worth much to the eyes of insurance). That said, what is really sad to me is that the legal framework in the USofA regarding driving means that the Viper driver will suffer no consequences whatsoever from her deeds. Civily sure, but she will not be in any trouble for what she did criminally. BUT, if she had a glass of wine with dinner, the someone ran into HER, it would be her fault and she would be in sever criminal trouble. We have it all confused in the legal system with it comes to driving.

PhoenixGTS, Esq.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody carries enough auto insurance limit to cover two fatalities. Bigger limits if the driver is a rich guy with umbrella coverage that kicks in, but this situation is most assuredly going to underinsured motorist coverage and if so, good luck to the family of the deceased as insurance carriers regularly flirt with bad faith on underinsured coverage (of course if they were elderly as reported above, and had no positive impact on the finances of their survivors, the sad reality is that their deaths will not be worth much to the eyes of insurance). That said, what is really sad to me is that the legal framework in the USofA regarding driving means that the Viper driver will suffer no consequences whatsoever from her deeds. Civily sure, but she will not be in any trouble for what she did criminally. BUT, if she had a glass of wine with dinner, the someone ran into HER, it would be her fault and she would be in sever criminal trouble. We have it all confused in the legal system with it comes to driving.

PhoenixGTS, Esq.

Apparently I'm not the only insurance guru in the club. Well put.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The accident occurred when it was still light out. The hand wash place in question is very careful about the tire dressing and places a towel next to the drivers door on the ground so you can dry your feet off before you enter the car. The workers were already interviewed by the police. The workers who saw her get into the car, saw her get in with her shoes on and drive away. To repeat, she was going south bound on a multi lane road. She lost control of the Viper. It jumped the median into the north bound passing lane.There was no other car involved with the Viper on its side of the road. The Viper driver was at fault.

It is not uncommon for people who leave the car wash and who go south to step on it a bit. However, I have no idea whether that happened in this case. If I had to guess, I would theorize that there may have been some pedal confusion. It is not hard to inadvertantly hit the gas while hiting the brake pedal in a Gen III or Gen IV. I have done that with the edge of my foot more than once but I always catch it immediately. However, because of the adaptives and the electronic throttle in a Gen IV, the result of that kind of mistake can be far more dramatic and abrupt.

I would bet, although I do not know, that the Viper driver has never had any significant experience or performance training in driving a Gen IV under adverse or performance conditions and, as we all have discussed ad nauseum, a Viper is a driver's car. It is not for amateurs. This may just be a case of another Viper bite situation - a very bad one. I have heard additional alleged facts but I think that it is not appropriate to post them here. Once the police report is available, I will get it.

The media have not picked up this story at all. It may be because the police report has not been finalized. It is odd that there was no preliminary story in the Miami Herald in a case where there was a fatality. They always cover that kind of story.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id still bet the car wash guys didnt see her slide off the shoe once she was in the car.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not uncommon for people who leave the car wash and who go south to step on it a bit. However, I have no idea whether that happened in this case. If I had to guess, I would theorize that there may have been some pedal confusion. It is not hard to inadvertantly hit the gas while hiting the brake pedal in a Gen III or Gen IV. I have done that with the edge of my foot more than once but I always catch it immediately. However, because of the adaptives and the electronic throttle in a Gen IV, the result of that kind of mistake can be far more dramatic and abrupt.

That is a tremendous amount of speculation derived from absolutely no known facts.
How come in every instance of a (male) Viper driver involved in an accident people here are always rushing to the drivers defense (it was a deer, it was a wet road, it was the tires).
But in this case with no facts except she was at the car wash and allegedly had high heels on (or off) she was totally at fault and guilty.
Maybe someone cut here off.
Who said she had the shoes on? Maybe she had to avoid something.
If it was a male it would have been a deer's fault?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And, it goes on...but I can't help but respond.

The male/female comments are a definite point...just because she is a she, does not mean she can't handle her car. In the past, when I raced Corvettes, I had come up against some women who were pretty damn good drivers, period, not just good female drivers.

Okay, the Prius...a small car, rented one in Orlando on vaca few months ago. It is small and feels small, doors very tinny IMHO. I do not like small, light cars..especially when my wife and kids are in the car. Just my personal preference, but the thought of getting hit while in a small car, for example by a 6k lb. Suburban is mind boggling and scary.

I think we should stop speculating about all the things she may have done wrong and wait for the police report. Having responded to many MVA's, if she was wearing heels while driving, the responding police/fire/ems would have extricated her and noticed if she was still wearing heels (unless they fell off).

For me, its about the sad loss of life. She is still living and she should count herself as lucky...crossing a divider, she could have hit a tractor trailer or bus, rather than a Prius...or, a Suburban!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a tremendous amount of speculation derived from absolutely no known facts.
How come in every instance of a (male) Viper driver involved in an accident people here are always rushing to the drivers defense (it was a deer, it was a wet road, it was the tires).
But in this case with no facts except she was at the car wash and allegedly had high heels on (or off) she was totally at fault and guilty.
Maybe someone cut here off.
Who said she had the shoes on? Maybe she had to avoid something.
If it was a male it would have been a deer's fault?

Holy smokes man. I would counter your statement and say that there are quite a few known facts as Bob has stated them, and the speculation has been pretty well contained. I also fail to see how gender has come into play here. When a man does something stupid and crashes/kills/injures he will be chastised here just like this lady is by some for the high heels thing.

Every event on this planet has speculation generated by it. Certainly goes for a car wreck posted on a car forum. Those that don't like the speculation as delivered will bash the speculators. If the correct version is ever known then those parties get to have it out one more time declaring victory over each other. It's what happens here and people that can't handle this discussion shouldn't visit threads like this.

Lastly, as Bob as well as any other similar threads note that there is no official report yet, this so called official report is nothing but an interpretation of the findings at the crash site. There may be some eye witness stories to go with the physical evidence, but once again, this official report is an interpretation, not some holy decree issued by the almighty himself that created and orchestrated the events leading to the crash. Point is, even this report can contain speculation. Please challenge it too. Like if they find the lady was in the car with her heels on after the wreck, how do you know she didn't put them back on thinking she would get out, but they were off prior to wrecking? Or, they were on during the wreck and she took them off after cause her feet hurt? Only God knows, and he ain't on the report team. So speculation is part of life here.

Last edited:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, Dave....reports are only as good as the witnesses/ responders generally...point taken. And, I only commented on the gender thing, because someone else raised it. Gender, for me, is not an issue here.

Just voicing my opinion based on others' comments.

:D