99 GTS Drivers door handle sometimes works??

chaserv10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 99 GTS. The drivers exterior door release sometimes works. The interior handle / release always works? Has anyone had this problem before, and what is likely wrong? Any help would be great.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have heard of others having this problem, you may have a frayed or broken wire. you will need to pull of the door panel and inspect the wires for damage, that is the first place I would start

OP
OP
C

chaserv10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking. It's 18 degrees here in Columbus Ohio, and my garage is not heated. I need to move to Florida..Thanks

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had a '99 RT10 with non-functional outer and inner handles. It was a frayed wire within the harness between the door and body.

Cut it, soldered a patch in it, and heat-shrinked it. Fixed.

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 99 GTS. The drivers exterior door release sometimes works. The interior handle / release always works? Has anyone had this problem before, and what is likely wrong? Any help would be great.
Had a similar issue and when I took the door panel off and checked it out, the spring for the punch button was messed up and sticking. It wasn't electrical for me. It's an easy job to pull it apart. Just make sure when you are taking off the big nut behind the handle and the little keeper pin you dont drop it inside the the door. Small fingers patience would be an advantage unlike my big stubs and short fuse!!! :D If you need a better explaination, drop me a PM. Before disassembling completly, once you get the door panel off I would check to make sure it's getting power to the switch. But if it works sometimes, I would guess it's not power related unless it's shorting out somewhere. Others may have a better idea but this was my fix for mine.

Reaction score
Sounds like the micro switch in the upper outside door handle. You can remove the micro switch and actually clean it up. The cost to replace it is around $59.00. Of course this is if the wires leading to the door are ok and not broken.

Best of Luck!

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My door just totally lost all power. Both door handles, power lock, and as of tonight, window. I cannot seem to find a broken wire when pulling the boot from the door, but I cannot get the boot to come off of the body. Any suggestions?

Nick

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nick, remove the gill panel in front of the door, this gives you more room to get at the boot on the body side with the door closed. Mine was stuck/glued to the body side, this made it much easier to get the boot free and inspect the wiring inside, I found a total of seven wires broken/respliced with cheap electrical tape and nothing else. It's a place to start. Jeff

OP
OP
C

chaserv10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys thanks for all the advice. I'll let ya know what I figure out its supposed to warm up here next week.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had the same problem about 5 years ago. as per chuck tator...." shoot some air in there, then shoot some wd40 in there and see if it goes away"

it worked for me for a long time, then i had to replace the switch finally (about 4 years later)