new to the forum, and hopefully new to a Viper soon too!

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since their debut I have always loved everything Vipers stand for. 15 years ago we even rented one on our honeymoon.

About 8 years ago I bought a '68 big block convertible Corvette. It seemed like the coolest car I could afford, it was $15,000. The other option at the price would have been a Miata. Since then I have dumped a ton of money into it, and it still isn't perfect. It's fast (495hp, 540tq), and handles as well as, if not better than, any 60's era car. But it needs about $20,000 in body work and paint to look good.

I had not even thought of buying a Viper until Saturday when I saw on in a used car lot. It's a silver 2003 convertible with 8000 miles, asking $46,000 obo.

I drove the car and found it to be extremely comfortable. Rumors of Vipers being crude and uncomfortable have been greatly exaggerated.

What draws me to the Viper is the exclusivity. I love the new Corvettes, and I respect the factory blown Mustang, but both are a way too common.

I have a few questions about this specific one that I drove. There was no carpet in the trunk, and there were a bunch of small holes in the fiberglass. I assumed there had been a huge stereo in the car at some point.

There is one other odd thing, there is a sticker on the side that reads "650 Horse Power". I asked the owner if the engine was stock, and he said yes, thats just a sticker. Who would do that to a Viper??.

Do you think it's likely that someone has N2O on the car at one point? That would make me a bit leery of this car.

Even though I have admired Vipers since the beginning, I no very little about them.

I need your help to school me.

What I want the viper for is to replace the '68 Corvette in hope that it will be just as exclusive, just as fun, but a heck of lot more comfortable. For instance there is no way I could tolerate a cross country trip in the Corvette, I could easily in Viper. Just having a trunk to hide valuables is a huge convenience.

thanks,
~Jay

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay, where are you located?

There are plenty vipers out there for you to pick from. Dont get sucked into the first one you find on a used car lot. What Generation do you really want? What color do you really want?

Any viper that you do get serious about should have the VIN# checked with carfax as well as be inspected on a lift to verify that it hasnt been in a significant accident.(if that is a concern to you). A very large percentage of these cars have been in some sort of accident.

Are you specifically looking for a Gen3 Vert or are you also interested in Gen1/Gen2/Gen3coupe/Gen4 ???

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the looks of the coupe, but in SoCal there are so many days where convertible would be nice.

I don't know the difference in the generations, but I do not want the 1st gen with no windows and the really bad targa top.

Was 2003 when they first introduced a real convertible top?
The Coupes are beautiful, but not what I want.

I happen to like silver. My Corvette is red, so it's time for a change. The Viper will get enough attention, so a subtle color like silver might be nice. But I am open to some other options.

I'll ask the seller for the vin and check it out.

I think 2008 is out of my price range. I really want to stay as close to $40,000 as possible. In California I'll need to pay about 10% to register it, so I need to be mindful of that enormous expense also.

Is the local Dodge dealer a good place to have it inspected?

Thanks for the help.
~Jay

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay,
Make sure to look through our classified area before you begin reviewing "retail" Vipers. You'd be FAR better off with a known VCA owner's Viper.

You should also contact the Souther California VCA Region for more help before you get serious.
Southern California
website Lance Kouchi
[contact] Huntington Beach Ca
Phone: 310-420-3930

V

Venomiss

SoCal Viper

Start here and contact the local Southern California Viper Club.

They will be a great reference for every question you listed.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Respectfully,

The windowless Gen 1 is VIPER.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Dont hold back!

As for you, Viper you will find you like. Yes, the media takes the crude car thing too far. It is perfect in my opinion.

As for your car, sounds like it was more of a toy car than a preserved car. Take a look through the classifieds on this site as well as DODGE VIPERS FOR SALE! Buy Dodge Vipers For Sale at Dodge Viper Trader. Used and New Dodge Vipers for sale!. You will see many cars are available. Unlike Vette and other collector car purchases, Vipers are a bit different. Let the car find you. Dont worry if the car is in NY and you are in CA. There is a total of 25000 Vipers made. There is way fewer out there compared to a Vette or mustang. Choose the model you like best, color, etc and look for it.

Also, pick up a book called The Viper Buyers Guide by Maurice Liang. You will find most of your questions answered. Many before they even become a question!

Welcome!

Robert

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll check out both the local clubs and the classified here. The used car lot I visited is a for sale by owner lot, not a normal car lot. It's a great place to buy and sell cars. But mostly normal cars.

~Jay

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Since their debut I have always loved everything Vipers stand for. 15 years ago we even rented one on our honeymoon. ...................
Even though I have admired Vipers since the beginning, I kno very little about them.
..........What I want the viper for is to replace the '68 Corvette.........

thanks,
~Jay

Used car lots with 'stories' that dont match the facts scare me. {Like the drilled trunk, and the 650hp decals. I dont like NOS on cast pistons.

The 03 trunk is about the ugleest trunk in the automotive world. No Carpet, not even a felt liner, was included. They are available however

A carfax that tells nothing means they dont know anything.... it does NOT mean there were no issues.

When you 'dissed' the Gen 1 just a tiny bit, you hit a nerve with some Gen 1 purists....... I doubt you intended to, and the thermonuclear response was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I think. Almost every long-time Viper owner had a vette or 2 in our younger days..... and a 68 Cvt-BB is hardly a ****!

Last edited:

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DC performance in culver city

quote=Jay M;2935313]I love the looks of the coupe, but in SoCal there are so many days where convertible would be nice.

I don't know the difference in the generations, but I do not want the 1st gen with no windows and the really bad targa top.

Was 2003 when they first introduced a real convertible top?
The Coupes are beautiful, but not what I want.

I happen to like silver. My Corvette is red, so it's time for a change. The Viper will get enough attention, so a subtle color like silver might be nice. But I am open to some other options.

I'll ask the seller for the vin and check it out.

I think 2008 is out of my price range. I really want to stay as close to $40,000 as possible. In California I'll need to pay about 10% to register it, so I need to be mindful of that enormous expense also.

Is the local Dodge dealer a good place to have it inspected?

Thanks for the help.
~Jay[/quote]

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeh because none of you guys ever take shots about gen 3-4 cars lol. Ignore mr. gen 1 guy clearly he has the thinnest skin on the planet.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this guy serious?

Pretty much...

To me, Viper is still a basic and open car...

(I did say "respectfully".. because I know my ideal isn't for everyone....)

The rest of you guys are welcome to enjoy your power options, gizmo's and quiet rides...

Cheers

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I drove the car and found it to be extremely comfortable. Rumors of Vipers being crude and uncomfortable have been greatly exaggerated."

You have obviously never, ever rode in or drove a Gen1 Viper. Gen1's are raw, loud and menacing street legal race cars that let you know who is the boss! They don't have the luxury items that some like but most don't. Sure very few had a/c but most didn't. No heads up display. No navi. No cup holders. No electric seats. Even the radio was a piece of ****. Couldn't hear it anyways, so why put a nice one in there?
So to answer your question, yes, the Gen3 and Gen4 Vipers drive really nice, the Gen1's.............. not so much.

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one I rented 15 years ago was Gen 1, and it was all those things. I especially liked how every time I stepped on the gas the glove compartment would fly open. It really made the car seem fast :)

~Jay

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take my rather rash and foolish comment back Jay.... (foot-in-mouth and all that..)

Many here know me to be a gen 1 nut but I'm honest in my opinions.. This (more modern) viper forum isn't the place to be a throw-back. While I may move into a later model viper; I still remember the old days when viper filled a void... Back in the day,.......Dodge saw the need and filled it with the car I still enjoy.

Perhaps one day, I'll slip into a new one but until then, I'm digging' my old gen1.

Cheers

Last edited:

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It may surprise you then that some newer owners like myself are looking forward to the day when I can add a Gen 1 & 2 to the garage. I love them all, and they are all Viper to me.

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take my rather rash and foolish comment back Jay.... (foot-in-mouth and all that..)

Many here know me to be a gen 1 nut but I'm honest in my opinions.. This (more modern) viper forum isn't the place to be a throw-back. While I may move into a later model viper; I still remember the old days when viper filled a void... Back in the day,.......Dodge saw the need and filled it with the car I still enjoy.

Perhaps one day, I'll slip into a new one but until then, I'm digging' my old gen1.

Cheers

I dig your Gen 1 too. It's just not what I want at this point in time. When I said I love everything that Vipers stand for I was speaking especially about Gen 1.

~Jay

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may surprise you then that some newer owners like myself are looking forward to the day when I can add a Gen 1 & 2 to the garage. I love them all, and they are all Viper to me.

I'm now driving my third gen 1...and it doesn't surprise me that there are many guys out there who want to add a gen1 to the stable! It's classic American Muscle, after-all. Just don't forget where it came from!:2tu:

I've been looking at a some later models tho...because I miss the track :(

Gen1s need a good rollbar to run these days (mostly).

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So back to that silver '03. If I were to make an offer, what would you consider a good deal?

thanks,
~Jay

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string, without seeing any pics of condition etc

If you like Silver Verts, why not buy a few raffle tickets for the VCA ACR car :2tu:

By the way, welcome to the forums :2tu:
Mark
:uk:

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me, it looked like a new car. I mentioned the holes in the trunk, and the silly sticker on the side.

Assuming there that it had never had N2O, what would a fair price be for a 2003 with 8000 miles?

~Jay

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Taking this a bit off the subject but what do you folks think about this Viper dealership in CA Dodge Vipers, Dodge Viper For Sale New & Used, sales, Plymouth Prowlers for sale, Plus Viper Pictures & Sell your viper, buy a viper, purchase a viper, & More and do you know anything about the RED 2000 RT Viper he is trying to sell

Just about everybody in the Viper World who has dealt with Marv Rose was very happy with the transaction. I trust him.....he has been around a long time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4