Side Mirror Spring Disconnected

F

FrgMstr

I searched on this but could not find a solution.

The spring that connects the drivers side mirror has come loose. Is there any simple way to fix this or should I take it into the dealer? The car is under warranty. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

OP
OP
F

FrgMstr

Talked to the Viper tech at the dealership. He laughed when I asked if there was a trick to fixing the mirror. Then he said, "You got a warranty right?"

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the viper side mirrors are attached with the same set-up as the corvette C5's.
If they are the same, there is a spring and a cable that run up through the centre of the mirror housing, on top of the spring is a small washer and a clip that holds tension on the spring. Sometimes either the washer or the retainer clip above the washer will wear out and cause the mirror housing to simply sit loosely over the mirror mount. There was a decent detailed write-up (with picture)on the corvette forum in regards to repairing this item. Apparently the only other repair method was to buy an entire side view mirror assembly (big $$$), and replace the defective one.
The corvette forum fix supposedly provided a more permanent solution than replacing the side mirror assembly with another assembly containing the weak spring items.
I hope this helps.

OP
OP
F

FrgMstr

I lost the power steering pump this last weekend driving the Three Twisted Sisters outside Kerrville. The car got driven probably harder than it ever has so it is not surprising that the PS pump started howling like a Skill Saw this week. That is covered under warranty and so is the mirror, so I will let Dodge just put a new one on. If you have a link to the thread in the Corvette forum, would you please share? Now sure where to look for it. But your diagnosis of the problem sounds spot on.

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll most likely get a new mirror assy. fom the dealer. The mirror needs to come off, then the housing from the door follows to replace any missing parts that might have come loose inside. The mirror needs to be snapped back in place and reinstall assy. Not an easy thing to do you could break the mirror taking it off if you're no careful. I had to replace my broken mirror and it was nerve wrecking doing all that but it all went well.

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a link to the repair.
97vette.com
The door panel disassembly will be different, but the actual mirror portion should be the same.