Striker Heads and Cam on GenIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am currently looking into increasing the power in my GenIII. In speaking with Dan at Viper Specialty our conclusion was the striker street Heads and torque cam is best for my needs and aspirations. Going to port match my intake and add belanger headers. Dan believes this setup will put down 570-620 rwhp.

Is anyone running that setup that can lend some insight into the power, drivability and all around performance? Also I would love to see a dyno chart if possible.

Are there any other options I should be considering? I did look into having Greg Good port my stock heads but in the end I think the Striker setup out of the box is a better way to go. I would be interested in hearing opinions on that also.

Thanks Tom

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking into this myself for awhile. You can't go wrong with the Strykers if you don't mind spending the $$. I think it's a little overkill for what we want. You could spend less that will accomplish the job (about half) on reworking your heads. Anymore specifics on the "torque cam" Dan is talking about? Stock cam is already a pretty good "torque cam". I think what we're looking for is a bigger hit above 3K rpm which requires hp or simply more power. It would be nice to get that without losing too much bottom end. Overly large ports and too much intake duration will bleed off torque at lower rpms where most driving is done. We also want to get as much compression (via the heads) as we can get away with on 91 gasoline.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Strikers are not that expensive

2) More horsepower = more heat......strikers have better coolant flow and probably will help this quite a lot .. JM can tell you why

3) I would call Jeff Morey...he can give you good info...and nice guy to talk to

4) visit the web site..lots of info there incld dyno charts...I think it's JM cylinder heads Striker heads

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do get the stryker heads, send them off to Greg. I think I recall a thread whereby he was able to work his magic on the stryker castings.

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Arrow, they have a Gen IV Head kit with a modified intake set up for the 06. Send the heads to Greg for porting and have him spec a custom grind cam. You will have more than 620 rwhp if done right. The 08 exhaust will bolt right up with the new heads.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are numerous options for head and cam changes, do not focus on peak rwhp. You want best average hp across the power curve. A proper combination is the key. The right parts and tune are critical. If you track your car then peak numbers might be better.

Best choice is to go with a package that includes the parts and tune and has been done before.
We see about 520-560rwhp with this combination, really good low end torque. More peak power can be had by changing the cam timing, but low end torque will suffer.

Dan is a reputable vendor and JM has a proven product.

Hope this helps.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definitely change out the cam if your doing heads. the stock cam can be upgraded for sure.

like tony said, GG can make those heads flow even better.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan believes this setup will put down 570-620 rwhp.

FYI:
Mid-High 500's expected with TQ Cam.
High 500's-Low 600's expected with HP Cam.

Both cams are JM's design. The HP Cam has 10 degrees more duration on int/ex resulting in more peak power, but offers less torque across the board. The Torque cam, while it makes less peak power, has more power everywhere else.

Of course, this is on a full header/exhaust car, with a port matched manifold which has been cleaned up, as well as throttle body and intake on a good tune. Not just the heads and cam itself.

Tom is very concerned about low-end torque, and I don't blame him, since that is where we all spend 99% of our drive time. Increasing port volume on a head which already has fairly large ports, is likely just going to result in higher peak power, and lower torque, again putting us back where we started. I can understand doing so on a build which needs the additional flow or it becomes a restriction [TT/SC/8KRPM N/A] but on a very mild stock block Heads/Cam, I don't think he is going to see enough gain to justify the additional costs- and may even see a loss in areas he would have preferred to keep higher. Overly large port volume is also the secondary reason that the Striker Race Heads have been outed over the Street version... the primary being the inability to get the compression high enough to utilize the heads design efficiently, due to the larger valve size and lack of piston/valve clearance when bolted on top of a stock bottom end.

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an FYI, Gen II creampuff, smaller engine, Striker head + cam, full exhaust, no intake manifold work, stock throttle bodies, hi flow cats. 580 rwhp + 580 rwtq

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just an FYI, Gen II creampuff, smaller engine, Striker head + cam, full exhaust, no intake manifold work, stock throttle bodies, hi flow cats. 580 rwhp + 580 rwtq

Gen-2 is a slightly different ball game... but yes, that is within the realm of what I would have expected.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, try some more searching on this board. Dan at DC did Anthuan's (supervillian) and i think he has comments here,, a guy from NCA has a number of posts regarding the work Todd at A&C did for him, and I'm sure there are a number of posters on the board. Anthuan's made about 600 on DC's conservative dyno and seemed to have better trq across the board then the Gen IV's like mine that make 600. Your in good hands wtih Dan L. up in NY, I thought hard about going this route on my 06, had some concerns about passing CA emmissions but in the end found a great deal on my 08 and went that way. Good luck on your build! Mike

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did look into having Greg Good port my stock heads but in the end I think the Striker setup out of the box is a better way to go.

Are you really sure about that?

If the strikers are different castings just maybe...
but then thats gonna cost allot more.

When I went through this with him, GG does have some hot proven cams.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just dont see the need to spend the HUGE bucks for the strikers over GG heads but camfab is certainly one of the most knowledgeable guys around and he swears by them. i know GG has posted in the past about the strikers being a better casting but i know he can get the same flow or more from his work.

id be surprised if a gen3 with these mods didnt get in the 575-600 range. but compression will obviously be an issue in this case

nader, safe to assume headers and exhaust are getting done too ? ( i dont think you have them now)

713-290-1103 is gregs shop number in case you havent called him already to compare and do some more homework

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i just dont see the need to spend the HUGE bucks for the strikers over GG heads

By the time you factor in the portwork, Cam, Rockers, Pushrods and the fact that Tom will need to locate Gen-3 cores which he would have to pay for in order to utilize GG heads due to time constraints... and then subtract the fact that the Striker price INCLUDES Heads, a Cam, Jesel Rockers, AND pushrods... its not very far off to take either direction.

*edit*... and ultimately it ends up as irrelevant as we just might be heading in a different direction ;)

Last edited:

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fairly certain GG has extra heads "ready for porting" as a swap.

Thats what i did.

I also found GG pricing to be good.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the time you factor in the portwork, Cam, Rockers, Pushrods and the fact that Tom will need to locate Gen-3 cores which he would have to pay for in order to utilize GG heads due to time constraints... and then subtract the fact that the Striker price INCLUDES Heads, a Cam, Jesel Rockers, AND pushrods... its not very far off to take either direction.

*edit*... and ultimately it ends up as irrelevant as we just might be heading in a different direction ;)

Dan, don't forget that he then has a set of heads he can unload for $1K as well if he decides to sell his stock heads

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Fairly certain GG has extra heads "ready for porting" as a swap.

Thats what i did.

I also found GG pricing to be good.

Already asked... no G3 cores left. But as I said above... neither of these options look to be the final route that this is going to take :)

Stay tuned for a slew of "neat" developments heading to a website near you in 2011 ;)

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Striker price INCLUDES Heads, a Cam, Jesel Rockers, AND pushrods... its not very far off to take either direction.QUOTE]

HaHaHa "INCLUDES"... dont make us laugh!

Customers honestly aint getting any deals cause its "included".

The parts are from different vendors, invoiced seperately then requiring assembly.

The assembler spends time ordering, and as a "proffesional" at the performance game expects, and rightfully deserves his cut to live just as good as the owner of the car.

Go ahead, put that "included" deal in writing for the orginal poster of this thread to WOW at.

I sure hope he gets a great "INCLUDED" deal.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dipapa I am not sure what you are trying to get at since Dan is one of the most valued experts in the Viper community and a straight shooter. Dan has gone above and beyond my expectations in helping me with identifying the best setup for me. In fact he has talked me into spending less money on a package more suited to my wish list and expectations. He could have easily let me spend more on a package that he would have made more but would be overkill for me.

Viper Specialty is successful for two reasons; the knowledge they bring to the table and their business etiquette.

the Striker price INCLUDES Heads, a Cam, Jesel Rockers, AND pushrods... its not very far off to take either direction.QUOTE]

The parts are from different vendors, invoiced seperately then requiring assembly.

The assembler spends time ordering, and as a "proffesional" at the performance game expects, and rightfully deserves his cut to live just as good as the owner of the car.

Go ahead, put that "included" deal in writing for the orginal poster of this thread to WOW at.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Wow, is all I can say. Who are you again?

I have no idea what you are trying to get at or prove, but you are actually... completely wrong from start to finish. Last I checked, when you subtract the price of Jesel's, Pushrods, Cam and Head Core from the Striker price [Which they are priced with], you are in the same ballpark as a nice GG port job. Hmmmm, looks to me like someone should be putting their foot in their mouth right about now.

Perhaps you would like to explain yourself?

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might help Stryker to put pricing on their site. I went with GG because the prices I heard about Strykers were astronomical. But if the Stryker price includes the valve train and camshaft I might have actually considered them.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the guys interested in Stryker heads heres a reference.

Hope you get every bit of quality & hp & price and dont be satisfied with the least bit of anything less.

It sure helps when the performance shop ordering is on the same page with the parts vendor/fabricator, then checks everything and your tuner, hopefully one in the same, is foaming at the mouth hungry, to make you some serious HP.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/610183-striker-heads-group-buy.html

I just happen to like GG.

He's been around, is negotiable, and will give you the "whole story" on heads, cam, motors.

For a caveman he can really talk too without scratching his head.. so have your cell battery fully charged.

Last edited:

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stryker/strikers are awesome for boosted motors. This comes down to money. You can get great results from stock castings being reworked by someone like Greg. You can also get great results from the Strikers. If money isn't an option and you're determined to stay NA, go strikers. If you ever decided to build/boost your motor, you'll be glad you did.

There really isn't a wrong option here. Just look at the costs and go with the one you're comfortable with, along with your builder.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my understanding the JM cam is not included in the striker head price of 7k. The cam is another grand but is suppose to make very good power. The jessel rockers are the best out there. I had a set and I liked better then the T&Ds but they are double the price.

I wouldnt do strikers unless the bottom end was to be built up. GGs price is fair and makes great power.

Reaction score
A lot of tuners are a little *difficult* to deal with. I am set up more towards the do it yourself crowd. After being in the Viper modifiction market since the beginning of the Viper, that's the market I like best. The car owners are far easier to work with. Along with the heads and parts he gets all the phone support he needs to finish the project right. I even take calls on Sunday to help guys.

If a Viper owner is using a tuner to do his build, he should follow his tuners advice on which brand head to buy.

I don't have anyone complaining about a lack of power or performance. I've had Gen 3 ported factory castings make 650 rwhp (dipapa). That compares well to any head on the market. I'm working on another Gen 3 project that will inch closer 700 rwhp.

I'm really liking what I see out of the Gen 4 castings. I have a project with a set of those that I've set a goal of 400 cfm for. That *will* make 700+ N/A rwhp.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave