Day on the Dyno - Intake, Exhaust, Tune Results

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having a dyno at your disposal has a few advantages, one of which being unlimited time to play around and see what yields the most power. So we got to messing with my '05 Viper with 9400 miles.

Started out by picking up a K&N Intake, Corsa exhaust and an SCT Handheld/ProRacerPackage. Total investment was around $1100 since I bought them used.

First a baseline pull with the updated flash from Dodge:
You must be registered for see images attach

Tune only, stock intake, stock exhaust:

Then we'll throw the intake on, and put the stock tune back in for those who order a K&N but don't tune it:

Now let's tune it with the intake:

Finally, how about throwing the exhaust on and tuning it some more:

Composite graph of the before and after:

Now all of the above results are presented via a Dynojet 224x with the SAE (Industry standard) correction factor with smoothing on 5 (This eliminates any aliasing error or sensor input error). Just to illustrate how dyno results can be manipulated, here's some free "keystroke" horsepower via STD and Uncorrected "Correction" factors.

STD:

Uncorrected:

Now if we wanted to look at what the car would do at the track at that given moment, the uncorrected numbers are the numbers the car is actually making at that given time based on the atmospheric conditions. The SAE numbers correct it down to the standard temperature, humidity and pressure to make a more fair comparison between dynos. Otherwise those of us at sea level in the northeast would always make the most power, we already run the fastest times! :drive:

Hope this might help others make decisions on where to spend their money when first modding their SRT10.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
351 Carlo--
Those graphs are great--actual results from each modification. Thanks so much for posting that info.--nice job!!!

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Carlo...glad to see you're up and running with the new Viper!

Where did you get the car tuned?

I did it in house. Tuning is easy...especially when your buddy is a well known tuner and you have a dyno.

Car was relatively easy to tune, especially compared to my Cobra!

Thanks all. Get me a few cams and Ill do a comparison test...:D

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh and if any GenIV guys have their drf run file, Id love to overlay my bolt on/tuned curves with a stock 8.4 and see how much more us GenIII guys need under the curve.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it in house. Tuning is easy...especially when your buddy is a well known tuner and you have a dyno.

Car was relatively easy to tune, especially compared to my Cobra!

Thanks all. Get me a few cams and Ill do a comparison test...:D

Sent you a PM

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
351Carlo-----Nice post. would also like to see that 08+ overlay. Again great post

Thanks! If a person local to me has an '08+ Viper, I'd love to get you on our dyno and see what it lays down up here so I can make that overlay.

Let me know if you're interested. We can make cool graphs like this:

The Viper actually made more power until 100mph.... and then the turbo spooled on my Cobra LOL. I stopped the run around 6k RPM in the Cobra (New motor), that's why the power just drops off at 130.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is outstanding. thank you and i can see now that going from my sct one size fits all tune to a custum sct tune just for my mods still isnt gonna yield the same kinda results as just getting tuned on the dyno with a sct...

thanks again and looking forward to reading your future mods

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh your the guy with the black Cobra? I had the GTS up there for a dyno day. I def need to get my Viper tuned for sure!!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Carlo, great numbers. Our diesel truck club has a huge dyno weekend twice a year, and they keep wanting me to put the Viper on - I haven't yet.

My 03 has a Mopar exhaust(Corsa, I think), K&N, and Mopar PCM, and I know she runs very strong, so those numbers are encouraging.

If I did the math right, even the stock motor is underrated torque wise, and even just and intake and exhaust is pushing torque into the Gen 4 range.

Last edited:

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, nice Viper! Do you have my dyno still there you can overlay? It was in 2009 though so it may be long gone.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those results,
So am I reading it correctly that by putting on the Corsa exhaust package its only increasing max power by 1%?
471.16 BEFORE
472.35 AFTER?

Just doesnt seem worth the monies?

The K&N filters seems justified though :)

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So am I reading it correctly that by putting on the Corsa exhaust package its only increasing max power by 1%?
471.16 BEFORE
472.35 AFTER?

Probably better sound and weight reduction. Those help a bit, but probably not too justified in $$$$ with hp. =(

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
471.16 BEFORE
472.35 AFTER?

That is correct; HP was increased by approximately 1, or 0.2%. There was a slight increase in torque however.

Exhaust, without high flow cats or cat deletes, rarely yields a significant horsepower gain on a car with a good stock exhaust system. We notice the same thing with Z06s, LX Platform Hemis, Mustangs, Etc. It's all for the sound!

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, nice Viper! Do you have my dyno still there you can overlay? It was in 2009 though so it may be long gone.

Actually I should still have it. Send me a PM with your email and I'll see if I have it on our server, then I can make the overlay at work and not have to rely on one of the guys to send it to me via email.

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go Kent; Figured you'd want a comparison vs a stock GenIII and then I threw in the intake/exhaust/tune GenIII too.

(Runfile27 is Kent's GTS)

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Threads like this is what makes this board so awesome. Thanks for taking the time to share this.

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the info, I have K&N on my car and some other things. Looks like I need to invest in a SCT device. Anyone know where I can get one from?

Thanks

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the info, I have K&N on my car and some other things. Looks like I need to invest in a SCT device. Anyone know where I can get one from?

Thanks

There are a few vendors who sell them I'm sure. You've gotta find a good reputable tuner who can get your car on the dyno and tune it too!

Good luck.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang... SRT-10 flows so much better up top! haha

Thanks for the overlay!

Sorry, I went to bed after my last post.