Viper Roundup

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a wedding in Austin on Saturday but were driving the Viper up for the roundup on Friday and Sunday.

Andy Wheeler

Vip1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Were going, we always look forward to The Viper Round UP, not sure about the scavenger hunt on saturday, we are thinking of taking a hill country drive maybe to Fredericksburg and a winnery (Since we dont have roads like that in Houston) and meeting up later after the hunt, Just not sure yet. No matter what we do it will be nice to see everyone an all the Snakes.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a wedding in Austin on Saturday but were driving the Viper up for the roundup on Friday and Sunday.

Andy Wheeler

What wedding are you going to???? My cousin is getting married in Austin on Saturday and I am missing it because I already got tickets to the Final Four in Houston with some of friends from out of state before the wedding was scheduled.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What wedding are you going to???? My cousin is getting married in Austin on Saturday and I am missing it because I already got tickets to the Final Four in Houston with some of friends from out of state before the wedding was scheduled.

A cousin as well, but Gov. Perry and the First Lady are attending and I am meeting with him about the A&M BOR job that I am a finalist for. Down to 2 of us and I find out in late April if I get the appointment.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, we were looking forward to our first "Hill Country Round-up", until this disjointed round-up stuff started to surface .... now we're thinking put the grand or two towards home improvements instead, until the club can get on one page (at least as Texans).

With some saying no Drive-in movie, no interest in scavenger hunt .... well what if some aren't into Dyno time or track time as much :dunno: I agree with some, to me the Twisted Sisters, some Kick a$$ BBQ, and a Winery and/or crashing Hondo's in Fredericksburg, is what we're looking for ...... but we would've enjoyed most anything as a 'Viper Club' vs. independent regions trying to define their own "Hill Country Round-Up's"

I believe we'll pass this time and try to make the next VOI, where maybe we'll all have the same (or similar) ideas :headbang:

Vip1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Slithr, We're planning a hill country drive on Saturday to a winery an BB-Q I know of about six cars so far from Houston, If you want to join. We've been to all the Viper Round UP an well worth the trip just to see the amount of car I'm sure their won't be as many as last year for the reason you stated. I guess when you drive the Hill Country everyday its just no big deal but when you travel for the roads thats what we want to do.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
We will be sitting this one out. We'll go next year if Ryan runs it.

Vip1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
shooter, Sorry to hear that its always nice to see the Houston group show up in forces .We're trying to put togather some kind of Hill Country drive.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm with Slithr, no idea why we couldn't have just supported Tiff.

I know if the Houston VCA hosted an event like this and all the other clubs came in and planned their own events instead of attending what our president planned I'd be a bit disappointed.

After people started complaining the guy even put together a poll for us to vote on to make everyone happy which was sent to the Houston VCA president to forward to us which he didn't do.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Slithr, no idea why we couldn't have just supported Tiff.

I know if the Houston VCA hosted an event like this and all the other clubs came in and planned their own events instead of attending what our president planned I'd be a bit disappointed.

After people started complaining the guy even put together a poll for us to vote on to make everyone happy which was sent to the Houston VCA president to forward to us which he didn't do.

...With 48 hours until the deadline over a weekend to do so. Tiff's intentions aside, he might as well not have bothered. Blame Ivan if you want. I would have forwarded the email and asked everyone to vote STAT if I found myself in the same position assuming I was plugged in on Friday or through the weekend to be aware of the sudden need for regional feedback. Either way, the data would not have been valid given the truncated timeline.

I hope the Buckeyes pull through. I'll just go to the Final Four instead or hit MSR-H.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike it's not Ivans fault just noting the effort Jason was putting forth to work with people which he didn't have to do.

When friends invite me to dinner at their house I don't tell them what to cook.

As I said in the other thread we'll agree to disagree.

Vip1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the the people that have been to the Round Up in the past were looking forward to the great drives that have been put together in the past not trying to diss the event, we want to show up in support, just some alternative to the schedule for us. When we heard of the approximant dates we made sure we were available, not knowing the plans and hoping for some of the same. I guess we could just make the best of it or just not go. (If you invite a group to the beach then take them into town, some might just want to stay and enjoy the beach.) To my understanding we are splitting into groups for the scavenger hunt and meeting back up later anyway. We are not asking them to change their agenda just be understanding with the people from out of town who would like to enjoy the country roads. just my 2 cents. Have a great weekend

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be at the Final Four Mike, that is why I am not going (and was disappointed with the date change).

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slithr, We're planning a hill country drive on Saturday to a winery an BB-Q I know of about six cars so far from Houston, If you want to join. We've been to all the Viper Round UP an well worth the trip just to see the amount of car I'm sure their won't be as many as last year for the reason you stated. I guess when you drive the Hill Country everyday its just no big deal but when you travel for the roads thats what we want to do.

Vip, let us know if you still have something planned. Are you thinking 1 night at the South Austin Omni with the group, after a drive in the Hill Country/BBQ prior, and maybe Sunday afternoon in Fredricksburg before heading back to Houston, whatcha guys think'in :drive:I have taken the week off and am flexible :headbang:

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tiff asked Ivan to stop all plans for the alternative drives he was trying to set up which he did. After Richard and I talked it over we have decided we will not attend this year's round up.

OP
OP
R

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not going either. From what I understand no one from Houston is going. I here we may set up a cruise for that weekend.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's a shame that the Houston group isn't going to show up. Come on, guys, it's a weekend to get to know other Viper owners scattered around the state. I enjoyed the drive last year and I'm sure that I'll enjoy the weekend THIS year. It isn't all about the drive, but also about the opportunity to spend some time with others that enjoy our passion.

Houston will be missed as you had a huge turnout last year, but the show will go on. :omg: Bet there's still a few from the Gulf Coast that come up to Austin and just don't want to cross those that have been way too vocal about the agenda. :( I'll see those that can make it in a few weeks.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If we host it next year it will be interesting to see the turnout.

I'm going and looking forward to it.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
If we host it next year it will be interesting to see the turnout.

I'm going and looking forward to it.

Andy, I honestly think that if next years Roundup was in Houston, and one of the events was a photo scavenger hunt in Houston city traffic and a movie, I would sit that one out also. That said, I hope you have a good time in your 1st Viper roundup:2tu:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's disappointing but not unexpected. I'll do my best to address a few concerns.

The Roundup is by no means a bait and switch (as in your "beach vs town" scenario); there is still plenty of driving, it just won't be on one giant pack as it had been in the past. The Friday and Sunday formats remain the same, and Saturday is a slight deviation. I've heard complaints voiced in the past about the length of the drives and the "same old roads" so I organized something that about 5-6 other polled members had enjoyed in the past in various clubs; a photo scavenger hunt. The movie is something that is planned in addition to past events, as the activities for the group ended at dinner on Saturday.

The poll was short because the original plan's hotel needed an answer no later than Monday. I'd personally heard complaints about the original format, so I proposed a new one. The organizers had both heard different things so we put it to a vote, but unfortunately because of the hotel we had a limited time. We made that decision at 8pm and I had a published survey that was sent to our entire chapter and to the Dallas and Houston presidents within a few hours. 48 hours isn't a lot of time, but it was a one-question survey. If a group outside of the Central Texas region didn't get it please look to your president. I did everything in my power to make sure that everyone was contacted, but don't have distribution lists to other regions.

The scavenger hunt will not occur in traffic, as implied in this thread. I have no idea where that notion came from but it's grossly inaccurate. I have 2 pet peeves; bad table manners and traffic. The last thing I want to deal with is traffic, and I'm not going to send a pack of 50-60 cars into congested, unfamiliar city streets as an idea of "fun." The hunt is organized to circumvent that while hitting some of the major landmarks in and around Austin, and is structured such that you can pick and choose which clues you find, so you can avoid place altogether if you so choose.

The date change occurred over 2 months prior to the event. When the original Twisted Sisters format was proposed it was changed to the 1-3 because of a biker rally occupying the same roads on the 8-10. We left it that way. Whether we did the new format or the old it would have been those dates. I don't know why a date change would be disappointing, but despite my inability to comprehend said disappointment I apologize.

I reached out to Ivan to stop the the alternate plans for a variety of reasons.

1.) If one were to host a party, then in the middle of the party a clique breaks off and does their own thing, then returns later...how do you think the rest of the group would look at them? Some may not care, some may perceive the departure as elitist as the secondary group chose something they thought to be better. I was trying to circumvent any dissonance among peers. While it may or may not have happened that way, I didn't want the group to feel segregated no matter how good Ivan/Houston's intentions were.

2.) The scavenger hunt requires teams, so if we have 50 people sign up for the Roundup then the morning of the hunt suddenly have 20 people missing, we'll have problems.

3.) I want people to do the ENTIRE Roundup, because as we'd previously discussed we'd like the event to move around. Maybe the event is absolutely terrible, maybe not, but you won't know unless you do it. That way, next year when Houston (or Dallas) plans the event, they're bringing an all-encompassing knowledge of past events to the table and can make educated decisions about the format. That was explained explicitly in the other thread.

To summarize: It sounds like those that aren't attending had their mind made up from the get-go. This 3-day event is essentially a carbon copy of past events with a few added extras and one 4-5 hour deviation. Same dyno day, same tech inspections, same track stuff...but this time we're ADDING:

1.) Group dinners on Friday (not just Saturday)
2.) A movie on Saturday
3.) Gymkhana at Harris Hill on Sunday (in addition to hot laps and 3 classes of road racing)

Last edited:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those of you that aren't coming, we'll miss you. When it comes down to it, you're saying "because I can't go for an extended Hill Country drive, the event isn't worth my time or money." And if that's the case, I support you 100% in not attending. If all I wanted to do was go for a long drive on a winding road with some other cars, there is no reason to go all the way to another city for it and spend the extra money. I can't argue with that. But people that attend the Roundup do so to hang out with fellow owners and do the OTHER things listed that they can't do in their own city on their own.

As always, I encourage any and all to attend and hope to see you all soon. For those that are taking a pass on the Roundup for the time being, have a safe and enjoyable weekend; you shall be missed!

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The date change occurred over 2 months prior to the event. When the original Twisted Sisters format was proposed it was changed to the 1-3 because of a biker rally occupying the same roads on the 8-10. We left it that way. Whether we did the new format or the old it would have been those dates. I don't know why a date change would be disappointing, but despite my inability to comprehend said disappointment I apologize.

Since I am the only one who expressed disappointment in the date change, I will assume this is directed at me. My (our) disappointment was simple, we wanted to attend the event on the dates that were 99.9% set in stone, and that changed so we could not. There was nothing malicious meant by that statement toward anyone. I personally was surprised the date changed because some bikers were going to be on the road at the same time. Also, I feel that once dates are announced and people plan their schedules around them, they should be adhered to unless a major issue comes up (and motorcyclists on the road is not a major issue to me, and I rode one for 15 years). If the date had not changed, we would have been there regardless of the format, and we would not have participated in Ivan's alternate activities, because we believe in the group and being loyal to the activities planned. I am sorry you cannot understand our disappointment, but this whole situation and all aspects has us questioning our participation in the VCA. I hope the Round up is a success for the Club's sake.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Andy, I honestly think that if next years Roundup was in Houston, and one of the events was a photo scavenger hunt in Houston city traffic and a movie, I would sit that one out also. That said, I hope you have a good time in your 1st Viper roundup:2tu:

I understand were your coming from but I personally feel like giving Tiff the benefit of the doubt with his events. I used to organize a very similar event in the northeast for the last several years and understand how difficult it can be. I felt bad for Jason involving the alternate events and felt like members should either go and support or not go.

You guys obviously have every right not to go and there's nothing wrong with that in my book it's your choice.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since I am the only one who expressed disappointment in the date change, I will assume this is directed at me. My (our) disappointment was simple, we wanted to attend the event on the dates that were 99.9% set in stone, and that changed so we could not. There was nothing malicious meant by that statement toward anyone. I personally was surprised the date changed because some bikers were going to be on the road at the same time. Also, I feel that once dates are announced and people plan their schedules around them, they should be adhered to unless a major issue comes up (and motorcyclists on the road is not a major issue to me, and I rode one for 15 years). If the date had not changed, we would have been there regardless of the format, and we would not have participated in Ivan's alternate activities, because we believe in the group and being loyal to the activities planned.

I understand the statement now. It wasn't the date change that caused the disappointment, but rather the things the date change affected (your ability to attend).

The change was instituted so we'd have one less thing to worry about when it came to driving Twisted Sisters (when that was the plan). Nothing ruins a great, scenic drive faster than a soccer mom putting along in an SUV at 10 under the speed limit on a road you can't pass on. Cramming a few hundred motorcycles of varying skill levels onto the same road with us had a good probability of diminishing the enjoyment of our group, so we moved the dates.

I am sorry you cannot understand our disappointment, but this whole situation and all aspects has us questioning our participation in the VCA. I hope the Round up is a success for the Club's sake.

What exactly is the "situation" (aside from a character on Jersey Shore)? I've laid out the way I see things pretty plainly from where I stand in the few threads that have sprung up, but I have a hard time seeing where there is really a problem.

To be brief:
1.) One activity (out of four loosely-defined events) has changed. Instead of dyno/tech day, drive, dinner, track it's become dyno/tech day, scavenger hunt, dinner, track PLUS an extra group dinner, more track time, and extra track activity and a movie thrown in.

2.) The dates were changed and posted in late January. Had we anticipated that the majority of the group would have schedules so inflexible that it would prevent them from coming, we wouldn't have changed it.

That said, I respect the decision of the Houston members not to attend though I may not understand the reasoning behind it. Despite every attempt on my part to make this event as enjoyable to as many members as possible, some will still choose to not attend and that is perfectly fine. Most that have expressed some sort of dissent have not wavered from their stance, so if doing their own thing will ultimately make them happier than driving to Austin then carpe diem, good sirs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper