OK TOM - Mobil 1 5-40 Turbo Diesel vs. Mobil 1 ESP Delvac 5-40

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
SO I been convinced that 5-40 was the way to go based on some of your previous posts - and just noticed that Mobil 1 has 2 5-40 diesel oils out there:

Mobil 1 5-40 Turbo Diesel - Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40
Mobil 1 ESP Delvac - Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40

:dunno:

Oreilly has the the first one on sale right now for $19.99 / gal and the delvac is normally closer to $30 / gal.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does someone PM Tom that there is a question that needs to be answered, or is there something else like the bat-signal spotlight that someone uses ?

You have to offer free beer for instant response, otherwise one of my Bat-elves send me a PM that says "hey, you should look at this."

Everyone, please: I have answered lots of questions here and would be happy to keep it up. I do have a real job now so don't have as much time to look for questions, but since my experience (and I would like to thing my reputation) is pretty good here, I would really like to keep everyone informed. If you don't get an answer, PM me. And then PM me again. *** are automatically sent to my email, so I will get them.

The Mobil 1 Delvac is the diesel engine oil formulation; anti-wear, great dispersants and detergents, extended drain. The ESP version is for passenger car diesels and so has some formulation changes to conform with the on-board particulate and NOx reduction emissions equipment. For Vipers, no need to go "fancy" and I think "expensive" since the ESP version was originally developed for Mercedes diesels.

You'll be fine with the diesel version and I think ESP will cost a lot more and maybe only available at M-B dealers.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Rotella T6 synthetic 5-40 turbo diesel. Every motor (gen 2 viper,truck,accura,lawn tractor etc) sings when running. Usualy 1/2 the price of the mobil 5-40 turbo diesel.

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D I am well stocked with the pre J series oils (CH+, CH, CHI). Once I heard the news the "good stuff" was going away I bought a bunch of 5w-40 Delvac and 15w-40 MX (non-synthetic) oil. This pic doesn't include the other Delvac products I also buy in bulk.

You must be registered for see images

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D I am well stocked with the pre J series oils (CH+, CH, CHI). Once I heard the news the "good stuff" was going away I bought a bunch of 5w-40 Delvac and 15w-40 MX (non-synthetic) oil. This pic doesn't include the other Delvac products I also buy in bulk.

You must be registered for see images

That is impressive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper