Hoodliner Stains... Painting...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me try again...

I would like to paint my "hoodliner". However, I have noticed that Gen 3's get white stains around the edges due to water.

I have seen nicely painted hoodliners with those ugly stains. I thought maybe a person could put some type of clear over the whole thing to prevent this? Has anyone done this or has an idea? I really like the painted "Fangs" on the liner, but I am not going to go to that trouble only to have it ruined by the white stains. Thanks. :)

v10Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Isn't the hood liner supposed to be flame retardant? Seems to me that paint would defeat that purpose....may be something to think about.

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the hood liner supposed to be flame retardant? Seems to me that paint would defeat that purpose....may be something to think about.

that's why they have high heat resistant paint.

If your worried about that, then I would not recommend it. I finished mine a couple months ago and just keep the water that may go into the vents at a minimum. No problems yet.

Attachments

• painted hood pad.jpg
    painted hood pad.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 53

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoodliner looks good! What paint did you use and how did you go about doing this, so a novice like me can maybe attempt this.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose you could paint the entire pad a flat or matte black to prevent the discoloration from the water. I was just wondering if someone had done that and if it was successful?

Thanks for the link. Nice write-up. The person who did the Gen 2 in that thread did paint the whole pad, but probably not for the same reason I was thinking. :)

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used flat and used a clear coat when completed all paint (All was high heat). I was going to paint the entire pad black but once I got the pad off of the car, all areas except the center section tend to bend rather easy and I was worried that if I did paint those areas that it would do something to the paint if it would bend so I just painted the emblem (You will see when you remove it). I did add my own custom paint in the small space above also.

Attachments

• show pic 3.jpg
    show pic 3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 37

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with flat black without clear and elected not to amplify the logo by painting it. (A little too over the top IMO, but too each his own) Since then those ugly soap stains have not reappeared. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with flat black without clear and elected not to amplify the logo by painting it. (A little too over the top IMO, but too each his own) Since then those ugly soap stains have not reappeared. Hope this helps.

Do you remember or can look at an old can to see what brand you used?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did my Gen 2 pad I did the entire pad for the reason you state, and I used semi-gloss with no clear top coat. I did not use high heat paint and years later it looks next day new.

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Georgthedog, I used Dupont Automotive paint Flat black, and I forgot to mention that I painted both sides to create a "seal" if you will. I didnt want the soapy water penetrating the liner from above either.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Georgthedog, I used Dupont Automotive paint Flat black, and I forgot to mention that I painted both sides to create a "seal" if you will. I didnt want the soapy water penetrating the liner from above either.

Very good advice!!! Thanks!!!:)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first bought my car, the hood pad had some stains on it. A $0.99 can of black spray paint at Wal-Mart took care of that problem. Almost 6 years later, still looks good.

When I later painted the Sneaky Pete emblem, I used a more expensive type of paint I bought at Home Depot (recommended by someone in a thread somewhere on this site).

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The back of the liner on the gen 3 has a metal type material so painting the back is not needed, if you notice that most of the stains are on the edges where it goes between the metal and top seal of the liner.

Fairly easy project to do but be careful with the tape that you use. Masking tape would not stick so I used blue painters tape and when I went to remove it, some of the sticky backing was left on the pad so I had to go and touchup with a brush. The tape also pulled some of the top seal of the pad off. It would have been an easy project for me if it wasn't for the tape issues.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose you could paint the entire pad a flat or matte black to prevent the discoloration from the water. I was just wondering if someone had done that and if it was successful?
Yes, Painted the whole thing. Yes, over the years some stains came back. Just painted it again. Looks great.

One problem I have is the ends are starting to come apart. Anyone have a fix for that short of replacement? I tried black duct tape but not very satisfactory.

Ricksnake1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who`s the "they" you are talking about? My Father would say They all the time as in "They wrote" "They say now" " They are raising the price of gas"
Just curious who your "they" would be

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow good thread, I was wondering about painting my hood, but the Members Only how to section for hood painting has all broken links for the pictures

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just replaced mine last year. It took awhile to get in it was on back order for almost a year.

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The back of the liner on the gen 3 has a metal type material so painting the back is not needed, if you notice that most of the stains are on the edges where it goes between the metal and top seal of the liner.

:nono:

This is true. Its the edges of the liner you should be most concerned with to create the "seal" I spoke of. Im more of a perfectionist than some, so by painting the entire backside of the liner may not be required but looks finished (if and when someone else removed it in future). Guess its like a book, you want the inside to be as good as its cover. Do it right the first time.............:2tu:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper