Just failed NY inspection

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not driven my car in a while. My inspection ran out last June. I keep in on a tender so batt never goes dead. In NY they started sending letters if you do not get it inspected they will not renew your registration. So I pulled her from a dead sleep off my lift drove it about 10 miles, inspector said I have about 4 codes and it has to be driven more. And get it hot! I drove 10 miles it should be at operating temp. I have never had that problem before. Anyone else have that issue with long storage. I need to do same thing with my old 442. That one expired last April LOL. Thanks for any input you guys have.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually just took my '01 to get e-checked yesterday. The only thing I do before waking her from a dead sleep to get inspected is let the car come up to temp before I drive her. Let it run for fifteen to twenty minutes then get in and drive. :)

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky that they will only go as far as not registering it anymore, over here if you do not get your car inspected on time there is a large fine to pay.

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually just took my '01 to get e-checked yesterday. The only thing I do before waking her from a dead sleep to get inspected is let the car come up to temp before I drive her. Let it run for fifteen to twenty minutes then get in and drive. :)

Hey Bob wow,I thought more owners in Ohio, cause this is the only state I know the law in, would get collector plates. I have them on the viper and dakota, no e-check or anything.

They will just gladley screw up the spelling on your vanity plate :mad: And then discountinue the red,white,and blue plate (that matches the car) and replace it with a color picture from a kindergarden classroom :mad: Oh well engough of my hijack theard ranting.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very common problem... Before bringing the car in, sometimes you have to drive it 50+ miles at certain speeds to get the computer to clear all the codes. Just a nature of the beast, and the guys at the inspection stations deal with this all the time.

One thing that may be a help in the future is to get a good code reader. You'll know in advance if there are any saved codes, and you can clear them. It might not clear 'all' the codes that show up on the emissions test device, but at least it will give you a heads-up that you need to properly prepare the car to get through the test.

NY is almost as bad as California when it comes to emissions testing...

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bob wow,I thought more owners in Ohio, cause this is the only state I know the law in, would get collector plates. I have them on the viper and dakota, no e-check or anything.

They will just gladley screw up the spelling on your vanity plate :mad: And then discountinue the red,white,and blue plate (that matches the car) and replace it with a color picture from a kindergarden classroom :mad: Oh well engough of my hijack theard ranting.

I first looked into that when I got the '01 but it was such a hassle at the time that I just said forget it. At the time I was told that ohio didn't consider the car ('01 viper) a collector car and that I would have to write the state a letter explaining why I though it was a collector car and send pictures. Plus, I think you only got 2k miles a year. Things may have and probably have changed though.

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I first looked into that when I got the '01 but it was such a hassle at the time that I just said forget it. At the time I was told that ohio didn't consider the car ('01 viper) a collector car and that I would have to write the state a letter explaining why I though it was a collector car and send pictures. Plus, I think you only got 2k miles a year. Things may have and probably have changed though.

You just have to get a letter from Chrysler saying that there hasn't been more than 8000 cars made in that model year and you can get the plates. And we all know it's well under 8000 cars made a year

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clear codes, drive about 40-50 miles and take ditto inspection

Handheld reader can help cut down on the miles before inspection

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad I don't live in a state that requires that inspection nonsense. When I'm in Hawaii they require inspection and it's just a raquet to soak you for some repair money. Go to one station and they will tell you somethings wrong and they will fix it, but go to a different place and it's something else wrong..... of course they can fix it. :mad:

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad I don't live in a state that requires that inspection nonsense. When I'm in Hawaii they require inspection and it's just a raquet to soak you for some repair money. Go to one station and they will tell you somethings wrong and they will fix it, but go to a different place and it's something else wrong..... of course they can fix it. :mad:

I agree. Same way in Maine. Private mechanics can get their state inspection license, and you have to go to them to get your car inspected. Of course, there will ALWAYS be something wrong with it that doesn't exactly meet state inspection guidelines, so they can sell you parts and service.

Some states do it the correct way, they have state inspection stations at the DMV. That way, there is no conflict of interests in regards to selling you service. They do your inspection, and you either pass or fail. That's it. I like them to the point that it does keep the overly-unsafe junkers off the highways.

:usa: Nick :usa:

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Few things, the computer probably wasn't setting off OBD-II "Codes" but rather a "Readiness" signal. The computer needs to make certain that none of the parameters are off for a few different systems, and this takes time IE the driving for 50 miles or so.

The codes weren't actual problems, but just that the systems were reading "Not Ready" and thus weren't able to process a code yet.

Very common. Even if you clear codes with a code reader, the readiness codes are separate and the car will need to be driven.

Good luck!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In CA, there was a lot of abuse of the system by mechanics, and CA DMV implemented the "Test Only" station system. In short, if you have an older car, or one that DMV thinks might not pass, they tell you to go to a "Test Only" station. That way, the chances of you getting an accurate diagnosis of the problem are a lot higher. I'm not sure if this program is still in place (budget cuts) but there was a while where DMV would send you to a "Test Only" station, and if you failed, you were eligible for up to $500 in 'free money' to fix the problem. It was pretty cool - I have an '85 Bronco that is in that range of years where OBD wasn't implemented, and Ford implemented all kinds of stupid things to make it pass smog when new (it has one of those stupid 'electronic carbs' on it, smog pump, and lame electronics). After the car had about 200,000 miles on it, it never passed smog no matter what I did. I'd always get sent to a Test Only station, it wouldn't pass, I'd then get an estimate on what it would take to fix it, and DMV would contribute $500 to the effort. I got my cat replaced, EGR system cleaned out, carb rebuilt, and smog pump replaced over the years. That was about the only 'good' thing about the CA smog system.

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Old stale gasoline will also cause problems. Drive it and put in some fresh gas, Kleenflo makes an additive that is supposed to guarantee a pass. Good luck.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if its a test the reads the odb11 plug, bad gas will not fail the car, if your batt went dead or you cleared trouble codes,you have just reset all the readiness moniters and will have to drive it till they clear/.:(

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your PCM is constantly performing diagnostic tests on the engine and other vehicle systems. Generally when it finds something wrong it will set a code and turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light or Check Engine Light as it is often called). Some codes it will set as pending. Pending codes were detected once and as long as they don't recur within a set number of operating cycles the MIL will not get set. This means that if it continues to detect the same fault it will set a hard code and turn on the MIL. The PCM will monitor things like misfires (often detected by a slight change in crank speed), lean conditions, rich conditions, catalytic converter efficiency, etc. Some set hard codes, meaning they immediately turn on the MIL, others are pending.

There are also a series of IM Monitors or tests that must pass to indicate that emission systems are operating properly. These will include but are not limited to Evaporative Emissions, Heated O2, and several others which I don't remember. The car must be operated through a set number of cycles in order for these tests to be run and completed. Many of the IM Monitors will test and pass or fail very quickly when the car is driven. Others, particularly the Evaporative Emissions monitor, may take several warm up/cool down cycles to complete. You could drive your car 1000 miles and the Evap test might not complete. Some IM Monitors only run when certain conditions exist. For example engine temp is below 140 degrees at start and then rises to over 180 degrees and fuel level is between 15% and 85% (these numbers are only examples). If these conditions are not met then the test will not run. A common problem is the gas cap. If it is loose the Evap test will fail. It generally takes three successful trips in the car to clear on its own once the cap is secured. If you clear codes with a code reader the IM monitors all get set to "Incomplete". The car will fail inspection until they have had the chance to set again.

When you take your car for emissions inspection they plug into the OBD II system and there cannot be any codes set, the MIL cannot be on, and the IM Monitors must show as either "Complete" or "N/A". Not all cars support all IM Monitors. In MA it is possible to pass the inspection even though the Evap IM Monitor is "Incomplete". Not sure why that is though.

A code reader will tell you whether the MIL is set, whether any hard or pending codes are set, and whether the IM Monitors are "Complete", "Incomplete", "N/A", or "Fail". I'm not positive but I do not believe having your car sit with a tender on the battery would cause a code to set or an IM to go incomplete.

As I understand it this is also why the Mopar controller will not pass emissions tests in several states. It does not perform several of the test for the IM Monitors and they therefore always show as incomplete.

OP
OP
F

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you for all your input. You guys are great! I topped of gas. When weather clears up in a few days I will try and take for a good run see what happens. I have an OBD.
I/M status:
HEATED CAT N/A
EVAP SYS NO
2ND AIR SYS N/A
A/C N/A
02S HEATER NO
EGR SYTEM N/A
Everything else ok. I guess the N/A stuff is not used.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slip him a 100 dollar bill and he will lick and stick it problem solved

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for all your input. You guys are great! I topped of gas. When weather clears up in a few days I will try and take for a good run see what happens. I have an OBD.
I/M status:
HEATED CAT N/A
EVAP SYS NO
2ND AIR SYS N/A
A/C N/A
02S HEATER NO
EGR SYTEM N/A
Everything else ok. I guess the N/A stuff is not used.

Seems to me that there should be more IM monitors that are applicable. In fact I think my 06 has at least 4. N/As mean that the PCM does not perform the test. The "NO"s are why you failed the inspection though. They must show as complete.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#1 What year is your car?
#2 Do you have rear O2s or O2 simulators?

Depending on what year your car is you should have 7 monitors. At least five out of the seven have to be cleared as ready in NYS. I went through this last year I could not get the dam heated O2 readiness monitor to go ready. Reason being I had O2 sims installed for the rear O2s and there is no heated simulation that occurs with the simulator. This took me many days of driving and questions to figure this out. I replaced the sims with real O2s and problem solved. Whatever you do dont disconnect your battery as this readiness check will start all over again. The cat monitor and the EVAP monitor are the two toughest ones to get ready. I dont know why but they just are.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper