2012 - 2013 - 2014 ....?????

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there any REAL word on a new viper? I have owned multiple Vipers and currently do not own one. I plan on buying a new one when / if they come out. It seems I have seen a few semi-bogus pictures of them but is there any GOOD information about them???? Please???? I hope!!!! :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all talk at this point. they saw what is supposed to be the new viper at VOI. they were told its to be. thats it so far

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Certainly appreciate the enthusiasm - but wasn't it a clay mock-up that was seen at VOI? I'm cautiously optimistic since Giles is a Viper guy - and only time will tell. Certainly has been one of the best kept secrets.

800 of us saw it in person! No question if only question of when!

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:dunno: I just hope it DOES NOT look like that picture in the latest Car & Driver Rag.:nono::nono::nono: Looks Horrible.:usa: I'd buy a corvette before I'd buy that & man that's really getting bad.:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: I also hope they bump up the HP. to at least 700,knock off about 400 lbs.& put in a good 6 speed automatic. If not it will quickly become a Dinosaur. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno: I just hope it DOES NOT look like that picture in the latest Car & Driver Rag.:nono::nono::nono: Looks Horrible.:usa: I'd buy a corvette before I'd buy that & man that's really getting bad.:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: I also hope they bump up the HP. to at least 700,knock off about 400 lbs.& put in a good 6 speed automatic. If not it will quickly become a Dinosaur. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Blasphamy!!!!:crazy2::mad:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeremy, welcome back. Everyone who went to VOI saw the next generation Viper. Get your order in you won't be sorry!
Take a look at this and then think........Yeah, but 10 times better.

2_vd_viper_1440x900.jpg

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, it was a styrofoam mock up with no interior or engine. Per other posts in other threads, it was used to obtain feedback from those present at VOI who saw it. They were also shown a number of different potential seating alternatives. It has also been rumored that the Gen V drivetrain has been spotted/heard running around inside a Gen IV mule. Last, but not least, Ralph Gilles publicly stated that it will be a 2013 model released sometime in the second half of 2012. Since that is still quite far off, my guess is that a strip tease routine, like the one we saw with the 2011 Chrysler 300, will not start until late Summer or Fall. I am excited about the Gen V. Ralph is an active road racer, the head of the Dodge Brand and Senior VP of Design for Chrysler. If anyone can produce a monster that meets 2012 Federal regs and, at the same time, has the soul of a Viper, Ralph is the person to do it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah right. :rolleyes: And a car without windows, A/C or a top will ever sell. :rolleyes:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Yeah,but ten times better"
Now that's a tall order;). I'll believe it when I see it:rolaugh:
When did C & D acquired the picture of that Viper in the April issue?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i saw it and it looks like a 72 gremlin

Aaaaaaaaahahahahaha!:rolaugh::lmao::rolaugh:

Thats funny! :D

Yes, it will look good. That is part of the reason Dodge showed it to the VCA in September. They want to make sure it is done right and that it is liked.

And with Ralph in the drivers seat, you can bet it will be good in all aspects of the car from style to power.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you really say AUTOMATIC :confused:, it is a Dinosaur, that's why most of us like it.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeremy, welcome back. Everyone who went to VOI saw the next generation Viper. Get your order in you won't be sorry!
Take a look at this and then think........Yeah, but 10 times better.

2_vd_viper_1440x900.jpg

I was at VOI and saw the "new car". This is the closest resemblance I have seen yet...

It WILL be worth it!!!!!

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If that is the case then I am OUT. :crazy2::crazy2: Hell, if I wanted an automatic I would have bought a MB.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Second half 2012" in the auto industry is not far off at all. 14 months? Is there a factory? Mule?

I don't doubt that Ralph/ Dodge have the capability to produce a fine new Viper but it is hard to see anything being produced that fast.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Second half 2012" in the auto industry is not far off at all. 14 months? Is there a factory? Mule?

I don't doubt that Ralph/ Dodge have the capability to produce a fine new Viper but it is hard to see anything being produced that fast.

Maybe dodge can steal the viper frame etc. back from mercedes who stole for the SLS. That would give it a head start..

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, at this point I'm sort of in the middle. Any manufacturer can show a mockup concept car...doesn't mean a thing. I do hope, as a Viper owner, that the marque does continue and that the promises do become reality.

That said:
- Even Porsche put a tiptronic in their cars...not popular to the true enthusiast but, from a marketing standpoint, expands the business case so it has a better chance of being successful financially. Just because it is offered doesn't mean you have to buy it!
- Though the concept rendering above is not "the real thing", it does have a nice look (IMHO)...obviously a combination of Gen II and Gen III/IV (back), but modernized a bit. Whether you like the rendering or not, it does demonstrate how the Viper could evolve and for me, if it is "ten times better" then just imagine what a traffic stopper it will be.
- Let's hope this whole thing is real...:2tu:

Didn't Chrysler and GM receive the lowest ratings for quality? If they don't make a marked improvement in the quality of the vehicles they produce, bottom line profits could impact the feasibility of continuing the Viper.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that they are going to use the same frame or something very close to it; tweak the Gen IV motor and programming to increase its output with the possibility of a forced induction OPTION in the five to six pound range perhaps using the pistons developed for the ACRX or something similar; offer a six speed with paddle shifting available ( paddle shifting is already available on certain 2011 Dodge models); revise and tune the suspension to make it a bit less subject to Viper bite while at the same time improving its road course performance beyond its current capabilities; dramatically expand the available electronic options ( like radio selection) by having far more robust and flexible wiring/electronics; and have a choice of interiors. It will of course have to have ESC per the Fed regs but hopefully it will be a Viperized version that can be turned off to the maximum extent allowed by law.

Lastly, I think there will be three versions: Regular, ACR and Dragpack.

Do I know any of the above with certainty? NO. But the assumptions seem reasonable after reading what has been stated and hinted at, and given the time line mentioned by Ralph.

My best guess is a very late Fall, 2012 availability.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My sources tell me the chassis and body is Maserati while the engine is Dodge. So yeah, expect the base price to be almost 100K for sure. :crazy2: While it might be cheap given that the finish of Chrysler's current lineup is really spectacular, the price point is really inflating quite spectacularly. :dunno:

Gen 1: 1992 - 1996: Base 50K - 58K
Gen 2: 1996 - 2002: Base 66K - 72K
Gen 3: 2003 - 2006: Base 80K - 82K
Gen 4: 2008 - 2010: Base 86K - 91K

That's 82% inflation over a 18 year period. Eat than Bernanke. :nono::lmao:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about removing consumer/economic inflation from your 82%.

$50,000 in 1992 is the same as $78,482.89 today. So, the Viper has grown somewhat in real dollars, but not as much as it seems. They did add power windows... :lmao:

Seriously, a lot has been added since 1992. I have had the first 3 Gens and there was a significant upgrade each time.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something tells me that, once all the 2008, 2009, and 2010 stock is all gone, a flood of information will be headed our way. It would be bad for Chrysler to release any meaningful information before then - it could really screw the dealers who have cars on their lots and are trying to get rid of them.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about removing consumer/economic inflation from your 82%.
If the point is to say the price is inflating a lot, why would I remove inflation? :dunno:

And how does that explain an 8K rise from 2002 to 2003? Most auto manufacturers don't jack up the price sharply. Chrysler never price gouged it's consumers by overly pricing it convertible Viper unlike most European auto manufacturers.

And by raising the price point significantly, then offering 20K off MSRP is just stupid marketing. It destroys resale value and reduces (but does not eliminate) customers who might want to upgrade.

My observation is that the Viper is slowly creeping up from the attainable world-class sports car it once was to a just-out-of-reach world-class sports car.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely a mule is driving all over Europe as people probably think it is the next thinly veiled Ferarri or something. What better place to test it out? Nobody is going to suspect anything of an Americna Viper, especially us American's NOT over there. Our Europeon breatheren near Italy need to snap a few pictures for us. I am sure the car is there right now.