PROJECT: "******** ACR-700R" Has Begun

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After many months of research and planning I have finally started my ACR project. Subject is pictured here....

You must be registered for see images

As you can see I have already put my 6 spokes on and have my ACR 5-spokes waiting for some MICHELIN Slicks.
Here is a picture of some of the items I'll be installing on the car.

I am going to be pulling off my heads & intake and sending them out to Toddy @ BBG in Sacramento to do the blueprinting, porting and misc. machine work. I had a hard time deciding who I would let do this work but in the end I felt like Toddy and myself were on the same page as to the quality and performance I wanted. I am excited to start the teardown and get things rolling.

I took my ACR in for a baseline dyno run with 455 miles on it this week and can't wait to see where we end up at the finish . Per the initial runs my "COMPLETELY STOCK" 2009 ACR put down similar numbers other Gen 4 cars are seeing.

Hopefully some of you will follow along as I go through this process step by step and see what it takes to sqeeze 700 H.P. out of the Gen 4 engine. I will be posting a itemized parts list along the way to cover the project from start to finish. I will also be posting plenty of photos in this thread to show the process as I go along.

Feel free to throw out any questions you might have and I'll do my best to get you the "NO SPIN ZONE" answer.

Tommorrow I will be giving the car a good wash and then start prepping for the intake & head to be pulled this weekend.

Just remember "Too Much Is NEVER Enough"

Last edited:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "good wash" is the key to 700+ Hp. I know..I've been washing mine like crazy trying to get that number...and an excellent polish seems to help transition from closed to open loop tuning as well.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for being a *****...I'm sitting in the Vegas airport waiting for my red-eye back to Tampa. Just goes with the territory after a long week in SIn City. Good luck with the build. Sounds exciting.

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering but why do those headers look like they are already rusting? I would be trying to clear this up before putting these on the car. It sounds like a cool project though and should be fun but it would be a cold day in hell before I put on rusted headers. Just my .02.

OP
OP
F

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering but why do those headers look like they are already rusting? I would be trying to clear this up before putting these on the car. It sounds like a cool project though and should be fun but it would be a cold day in hell before I put on rusted headers. Just my .02.

Your just seeing the discoloration in the stainless steel cause by the heat/gas of the welding process. Trust me there is not one bit of rust on the whole system from Header to Tip! ;)

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUGGESTION: I would send the entire exhaust to Jet-Hot for coating.

And the name....very JH-like.
Maybe "ACR-DCC" instead?

Just wondering but why do those headers look like they are already rusting?
The discoloration you see is due to the welding/brazing process.
It's not rust.

OP
OP
F

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUGGESTION: I would send the entire exhaust to Jet-Hot for coating.
And the name....very JH-like.
Maybe "ACR-DCC" instead?

I'm taking a different route and using a titanium heat wrap on the headers for this year. Next year I may coat them based on how well the wrap works. Since I have to pull the motor to install a more durable bottom end I'll have another chance to pull them out.

I went with "********" because that is the option package my ACR has and I used that phrase A LOT in my stint with the USMC. :usa:

Last edited:

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification guys on the "rust". Hopefully the wrap works but I personally like the metallic ceramic coated headers so that these welding stains will be covered up. I have installed headers on quite a few vehicles and all I can say is that they are a continual PITA.....from bolts continually loosening to flanges warping and always leaking. I know they are a necessary evil for the big power which you are trying to achieve but for the extra HP is it really worth the hassle and maintenance?

Also, the intake manifold is truly a work of art.....I have never seen anything so well done....perfect in every way.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That intake manifold sure is purdy. :)

I suggested Jet-Hot because I have it on my Viper-powered Ram, and love it.
It dropped header bolt temps from 625F to 350F on the OEM cast iron shorty headers. Less than 2 weeks and about $400 door-to-door.

The Ti wrap may work well too. Keep us updated on temp drops with it.

Oh- and thanks for your service, Michael!

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just love these threads! Gonna follow this one for sure. Exhaust looks great!

OP
OP
F

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks nice. Are you changing out the engine mounts with some woodhouse poly mounts as this is an easy job with the heads out?

Well, I was going to do the motor mounts but after seeing there are some questions about them and the very sensitive knock sensors I am going to hold off for now. Since I plan on pulling the motor next winter to beef up the bottom end I'll have another chance to install them. I will be doing the trans mount now though.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the color of the car! You're doing everything I wish I could do to mine. What exhaust do you have?

Also, PM me your shipping address and I'll send ya some cleaning samples.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FastGuy68:

How much oil did you find within your upper intake manifold when you pulled it???

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FastGuy,

Great project! I did a similar set up in phases, headers and ECU, then intake then heads. Don't know anyone with the BBG heads or intake but I'm sure there great. With belangers, ECU and DC's intake and heads I made 602 on DC's conservative dyno.

I know from your previous posts you have a Giken and possibly a few other upgrades, here's some suggestions for you, get's DC steering bushings, the Prefix closeout panel (helps with heat, don't change the thermostat to 170, you'll get in limp mode in cold mornings), put a coil in the upper radiator hose (it can/will collaspe), wrap the p/s booster hose (see CCBrian's post), add Ross Murray's/Exoticraft rollbar (DC sells them too). Track with 95 plus octane and buy or build a catch can!

The guys running the Michelin slicks say thier amazing. Best wishes to you and keep us all posted, Mike

OP
OP
F

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the color of the car! You're doing everything I wish I could do to mine. What exhaust do you have?

Also, PM me your shipping address and I'll send ya some cleaning samples.

Thanks for the kind words about my Graphite Beast! The Headers are BBG ACR-X American Racing & the rest is all Borla ACR-X spec stuff.

Will send PM soon!:2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FastGuy,

Great project! I did a similar set up in phases, headers and ECU, then intake then heads. Don't know anyone with the BBG heads or intake but I'm sure there great. With belangers, ECU and DC's intake and heads I made 602 on DC's conservative dyno.

I know from your previous posts you have a Giken and possibly a few other upgrades, here's some suggestions for you, get's DC steering bushings, the Prefix closeout panel (helps with heat, don't change the thermostat to 170, you'll get in limp mode in cold mornings), put a coil in the upper radiator hose (it can/will collaspe), wrap the p/s booster hose (see CCBrian's post), add Ross Murray's/Exoticraft rollbar (DC sells them too). Track with 95 plus octane and buy or build a catch can!
The guys running the Michelin slicks say thier amazing. Best wishes to you and keep us all posted, Mike

Hey, thanks for the usefull info and I would have to say i have learned 90% of what I know about the Gen 4 Viper thanks to guys like you! :headbang:
BTW - I am doing self engineered oil catch can system that is a little more efficiant than the ACR-X set up. It's very similar but the small details make it cool. I'll be posting detailed photos soon. Here is a teaser pic....

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What RWHP number looking for? It seems low 600's (600-615rwhp) are what the Gen IV's will do with the mods you are performing.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious. Wouldn't it be more efficient to pull the motor and beef up the bottom end now? Also, are you goung to change the pistons out? I look forward to reading about your progress. Another change you might consider is sending your transmission out to Donato Engineering to have him take it apart, shot ball peen the parts ( strengthens them for higher HP applications), and install a .8 fifth gear and a .63 sixth gear. Having a true six speed makes a considerable difference. If the car is a 2010, you already have the .8 fifth gear but not the .63 sixth gear. ( I cannot see enough detail in the rear spoiler endplates to tell which year it is.)

Well, I was going to do the motor mounts but after seeing there are some questions about them and the very sensitive knock sensors I am going to hold off for now. Since I plan on pulling the motor next winter to beef up the bottom end I'll have another chance to install them. I will be doing the trans mount now though.

99FRC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the threadtitle says enough...

think again:nono:. I said RWHP!!! no way your getting 700 RWHP from a GEN IV without touching the cam and adding motec. maybe flywheel but not RWHP:eater:

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm taking a different route and using a titanium heat wrap on the headers for this year. Next year I may coat them based on how well the wrap works. Since I have to pull the motor to install a more durable bottom end I'll have another chance to pull them out.

I went with "********" because that is the option package my ACR has and I used that phrase A LOT in my stint with the USMC. :usa:

Good to try those titanium wraps.

Worked well with me so far.

Also, I would strongly suggest to replace the mounts with poly ones, because you will always have loose nuts all around the exhaust system.

Will you replace the flywheel with any lighter one?