DIY "KNG" Diffuser Blades Write Up

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you know I have had a set of diffuser blades tailored to a Gen 2 and it seems they do fit a Gen 1. The cost of this setup is 100 shipped for 4 blades and 2 8 inch flat stock aluminum braces. For a 6 blade set it is 140 shipped and it includes a 12 inch flat stock aluminum brace. Just shoot me a PM or email if you want a set.

A lot of folks have asked how to install the new diffuser blades that I have had fabricated. Here is the full writeup complete your task.

Disclaimer: As with any DIY project I have zero liability if you choose to follow these directions or use these blades. It is your job to mount them to your car and align them straight. I only provide the information and the product and what you choose to do with it is your business. If you want to mount them to your roof, hood or even your dash that is your business and I am not liable for any damage you do to your vehicle or any other vehicle.

Tools
Socket wrench with an 11MM deep socket
Phillips screwdriver
Double Sided Tape (Optional)
5/32 drill bit
13/64 or larger drill bit
Molding Screws (Autozone part number 961-210)
Speed Nut 8-32 (Home Depot)
You must be registered for see images attach

Step 1
Pick up a set of "KNG" Blades. Pictured is the 4 blade set (recommended) with 2 8 inch aluminum braces. The sets come in aluminum with no coating so powder coating or painting would be required.

Step 2
Note that there are 7 11mm bolts per side of your bumper cover.

Step 3
Remove the 2 bolts on each side that you wish to use as a mounting point for your blades. I chose the 2 inner most rearward bolts.

Step 4
Use double sided tape on the end of the diffuser with the blade, this keeps the blade from sliding around later when your drilling (optional)

Step 5
Attach rear 11mm bumper cover bolt to your blade and tighten by hand leaving enough room to rotate the blades.

Step 6
Measure, measure again, and measure again. You want to align the blades how you want to. It is easier if you have stripes because you have a reference point. Each inner blade on my car is just shy of 4.5 inches from the stripe. The outer blade is exactly 4.5 inches from the inner blade. Line them up exactly where you want them. Once they are aligned slowly snug the 11mm bolt down ensured not to move the blade. You want the blade to stay steady.

Step 7
Carefully push the unattached portion of the blade tight with the body. If you have double sided tape, this is where it helps out. As you hold the blade tight either make a mark or use the blade as a reference. Take your 5/32 drill bit and make a small hole in your bumper (a right angle drill makes this easy)

SRT Style Diffuser Blades for a Gen 2 - ViperClub Classifieds

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Step 8
Measure the distance of the holes you made. Make equal distance holes in the aluminum brace using the 13/64 drill bit (or larger). Once your holes are made push the speed nuts onto the brace. Please ensure to put the flat side of the speed nut on the same side.

Step 9
Remove all 7 11mm bolts holding the bumper cover on the side you are working on creating a droopy butt for your Viper. This means you will remove the blades at this step as well.

Step 10
Because I am right handed I used a jack for the drivers side of the car but it is not required. Take your molding screws and screw them in the front side of your blades and start threading them into the bumper cover. Reach your hand inside and when the screw starts to ********* stop. Place your brace on top of the screws point and the tip of the screw should fall right into those speed nuts. If it doesn't line up go back and drill out the brace better. Once all lined up snug down the front screw, but don't fully tighten so you can rotate the blades.

Step 11
Reinstall the 7 11mm bolts on the side that you are working on. Tighten everything down all the way except the 2 bolts holding the blades.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Step 12
Here is the easy part. As you start tightening the blades down at the screw end and at the 11mm end you will need to align the brackets on the blades. They will require minimal bending to align your blades to bend them into position then snug everything down. No need to "He-Man" these bolts since you will strip them out on your car.

Step 13
Take photos, lots of photos and be happy with the great deal that you received on the blades. (My photos are slightly dark, it is very overcast outside today)They look great, have a great offset to the vehicle, and are easily reversible. For people that are concerned about the blades eventually wearing on your paint you can use a thin piece of felt to line the flat side of the diffuser with so no damage occurs. If you decide to sell your car you will have 4 screws under the body extra that will look like body bolts or the holes are easily filled because they are so small. Enjoy.

Ground Clearance 8 inches with OEM ride height and 18 inch wheels.

Last edited:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish I could view the pics here in the office. Gotta hate the Gov't internet security team we have..but then again I shouldn't be browsing this site during work either...He He He.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive comments. Total time invested in this installation was 1 hour but that was because I measured 10 times per side. Realistically they can be put in straight between 30 and 45 minutes.

Rob your car as well as Treesnakes (saw the blades on his first) paved the way for me to want to make a mod like this easier and MUCH more cost efficient. Everything went exactly as I planned it would with no hiccups.

Currently 6 of 12 sets have been spoken for out of the next batch. I have 2 folks pending a set.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work John!

You had an idea. You gathered info and changed the design to be "easier" to install.
Then produced and market'd your idea. To finish, you took the time to create a detailed, easy to understand install thread.

All of this in about two weeks!!!!!!....:headbang:

I predict you will go far.... as soon as you are done serving your Country!!!!

BTW... Thank you for that too...:2tu:

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the great comments. 5 sets remain from the next batch being produced next week. Just received all of my shipping boxes today so I am ready to go as soon as they are made.

I installed a second set today on another bumblebee. As expected looked phenomenal. Super easy to install and the hole is so small that they blend in if you decide the look is not for you. (Pictures to follow shortly, we rushed out to grab a bite to eat and I forgot to snap them)

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those look different than the ones in the pics...

They are exactly the same. If you blow up the photo each row has 7 blades tape to each other giving the impression of them being larger then they are. I assure you they are exactly what I posted. Your set has shipped and your tracking number has been emailed.

Here is a photo of 3 individual ones.

Attachments

• IMAG0216.jpg
    IMAG0216.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 73

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are exactly the same. If you blow up the photo each row has 7 blades tape to each other giving the impression of them being larger then they are. I assure you they are exactly what I posted. Your set has shipped and your tracking number has been emailed.

Here is a photo of 3 individual ones.

DOH! Thanks. Looking forward to installing these. :2tu:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was half tempted to deliver yours. I will be passing through CT on Friday for my move to Rhode Island but wasn't sure how far out of the way you would of been for me.

PM sent on the above. BTW, I received my blades today, very quick delivery and well packaged. Will get them on soon. Have to paint them black first. Thanks! :2tu:

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM sent on the above. BTW, I received my blades today, very quick delivery and well packaged. Will get them on soon. Have to paint them black first. Thanks! :2tu:

What do you think of the quality? You will be the first vca member to review them. I have 4 people pending sales but haven't made the leap yet.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you think of the quality? You will be the first vca member to review them. I have 4 people pending sales but haven't made the leap yet.

Quality is very high. Very well made and the design speaks "not an after-thought"...i.e. very well done. I do have an SRT diffuser panel laying around somewhere and will post up comparison pics of the two designs soon. Thanks!

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think mine arrived yesterday between tornado attacks...Mrs. said I had a long box delivered...We lost power all afternoon/night so I didn't get to do much but wander around with flashlights.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think mine arrived yesterday between tornado attacks...Mrs. said I had a long box delivered...We lost power all afternoon/night so I didn't get to do much but wander around with flashlights.

The LONG box came first? That's my special surprise for you.

For the couple of people who tried to pm me my inbox has been cleared out now so resend your questions.

Tony if you have them powder coated and ready to go next Sunday and are not super confident installing them let me know and I will install them for you. I will have extra sets with me as well in case anyone else wants a set. As of this moment I plan on attending as long as work doesn't interfere.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may end up rattle-canning them. My powder coater gave up on the business after working on my intake and valve covers last year. :D He cried uncle and vowed to never work on another Viper intake ever again. But, he didn't say anything about diffuser blades. :rolaugh:

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may end up rattle-canning them. My powder coater gave up on the business after working on my intake and valve covers last year. :D He cried uncle and vowed to never work on another Viper intake ever again. But, he didn't say anything about diffuser blades. :rolaugh:

If he is unable to coat the diffusers he should not be in business. They are raw aluminum. Dip them then spray them. I understand the manifold and valve covers being an issue because they are not use to doing magnesium. I rattle canned the 2 sets I installed with rustoleum universal flat black. If you can find metal etching primer it should hold up fine.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score