Any of you all use these type of ramps for smaller servicing?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Found these on ebay and the picture obviously intrigued me. I have access to a full lift that I always use at my Dad's house which is about 10 minutes away. But it is a process getting the Viper on it, first I have to jack the car up on dollies and roll it into place so the arms can go underneath, etc. Anyway, I just wanted an easier way to change the oil mainly and with these it seems like I could do it at my place. I want to get a 4 post lift but just think it would be a little too large for my 2 car garage, these seem like a perfect compromise for doing oil changes except for being on my back (I've been spoiled always using the lift). I am wondering if there would still be any room under there, the pic still looks tight, they raise the wheels 10" and with the back down I know it would be more then 10 up front but there still wouldn't be a ton. Anyway just wanted to know if any of you guys use these type ramps at all :dunno:

Attachments

• viper_car_ramps.jpg
    viper_car_ramps.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 220
OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I've heard of quick lifts, really think they are worth 1200 though???? As far as the oil thing goes, guess it depends on the location of the oil plug, could help some cars drain even more if it is at the back.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked over the Kwik Lift on their website. Pretty cool piece, if you're looking to lift the car so you can work under it. Should be very good for regular sized (ceiling height) garages.

Looks like a good solution, but without seeing the quality of the steel and construction, hard to tell if it's worth $1,200, plus shipping plus $35 for packing. Then, they apparently don't ship to your house, but ship to a shipping terminal where you have to go get it.

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been just jacking up the drivers side of mine and letting it sit sideways. On my '97 the drain plug is in the center of the oilpan in regards to front > Back, but on the passengers side, so having it jacked up on the drivers side would appear to me to place the drain hole at the valley and drain all the oil. After my change I dropped 7.5 quarts in and was right in the center of the good reading on the dipstick, so I don't think there was any oil left in there (other than unavoidable residual).

:usa: Nick :usa:

Reaction score
It's a 10 quart system...

I have been just jacking up the drivers side of mine and letting it sit sideways. On my '97 the drain plug is in the center of the oilpan in regards to front > Back, but on the passengers side, so having it jacked up on the drivers side would appear to me to place the drain hole at the valley and drain all the oil. After my change I dropped 7.5 quarts in and was right in the center of the good reading on the dipstick, so I don't think there was any oil left in there (other than unavoidable residual).

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well maybe with the ramps you could get the front up then use a race jack on the diff to bring it level with some jack stands? :dunno:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i believe dave6666 uses ramps like those

also, i thought we shouldn't jack up the rear on the pumpkin :eater:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went down this road when a Viper tech put ten quarts of oil in my '97.
FAIL.

Holds 7-1/2 -8 quarts.

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, my '97 service manual states 7.5 quarts with filter change. Will probably upgrade to the higher-capacity pan soon as my original plastic oil pan gasket is leaking bad, so if I have to take the pan off, might as well upgrade!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those ramps work great for quick oilchanges on my truck and other vehicles.
However the incline is too steap for my lowered viper and i wouldnt use em anyway as the vipers plug is in the center which would leave alot of old oil in the pan when tilted back.\

If your considering getting these, the Brand "RaceRamp" is very pricey compared to any of the similar units that you can pick up at any autostore, or sears. I think kmart/walmart carry these thing as well
My set was like 30 or 40 bucks on sale at pep-boys.
Here is what sears has:
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah it is looking like ramps are not the way to go for oil drain purposes, unless there is a decent way to get the back off the ground safely with them. Would it be ok to jack at the differential and then put jack stands underneath? I hate the though of "twisting" the car by putting in on the jack area under the sill...

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go to the Race Ramps website, they have a ton of different ramps with different inclines to suit any type of car. You can go with 4 very slight inclined ramps, this would allow you to use a floor jack front and rear very easily. Use 4 jack stands to support the entire car up in the air and nice and level.

Look at model RR-RU. Don't forget, you can also back the car onto all four ramps if that gives you a better approach angle due to a very low spoiler.

The ones I used for a trailer appeared to be very good quality, not cheap but you kinda get what you pay for.

Cheers,
George

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah it is looking like ramps are not the way to go for oil drain purposes, unless there is a decent way to get the back off the ground safely with them. Would it be ok to jack at the differential and then put jack stands underneath? I hate the though of "twisting" the car by putting in on the jack area under the sill...

Twisting the Viper?!? The frame is incredibly stiff, you won't twist it. The Viper can also be jacked up by the rear frame supports. Very easy to do.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a mid-rise lift. With a pair of 2x10s on the ground, the Vipers clear. The car will lift about 50". Also great for brakes work, pulling wheels, etc.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice, thanks for the pics! That is exactly what I was thinking, how is the clearence underneath, is there a decent amount of room up front, I can't really tell from the pics?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ramps can get in the way when doing major work like tranny r&r although I have done it with them in place before. Now I move a jack around to the front and yank them out and put stands in like in this pic.

Although a lift would be nice I'm not moving to a house with a taller garage just to get a lift. The ramps and jacks are all light and are easily moved to one of my other garages when not in use.

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They didn't have the 2-piece ramps when I bought mine. Looks like a sweet option to have.

Definitely is. I had no issues getting in and out from under the vehicle while changing my slave, clutch, and flywheel last year.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sweet setup Daniel, I like those rears, so did you just jack up the rear like Dave and lower the car onto those? Also "how" do you guys use the jack on the rear, Dave I noticed you have 2, do you go up at the same time with both looks like? What about you Daniel? Thanks!!! I definately think this is a good alternative, although seems a bit pricy, almost 500 for your setup Daniel.

Last edited:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sweet, thanks guys, I purchased a lift and found out it was on back order after they took my money, just called them up and told them to cancel the order. Just placed a order for these ramps, should work just fine and my wallet is a few grand heaver because of them :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950