My Mopar PCM is not working with K&N Typhoon kit

JoeCom05

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Gen4 got service and a K&N Typhoon kit this week. Full Belanger and Mopar PCM have been installed by Roanoke on car delivery in 2009.

I did a 100mls testdrive when picking up the car. Excellent/better throttle response above 4,500revs

On the way back home at Saturday night I drove constantly 150 mph and up on the German Autobahn. The PCM sent an engine warning light and stopped us cruising. After a 5 minute stopp I did a new try with 185 mph same error: fault code P2174

Today, Sunday, I drove back to my Viper shop and they worked 6h sorting things out (I fully trust in the guys of Viperteam):
After four 150mph plus testdrives removing the K&N, installing a new PCM, sensors... forward and backward things are clear:

The PCM installed by Roanoke 4/2009 coded ...AA... is not able to handle my new setup.
Now, having a new PCM installed and the K&N plus the full Belanger I love it. :2tu:

The cost of 2 Mopar controllers $$$ are no fun :omg:
My hope is Roanoke will have an idea when I´ll give them a call.

So beware of installing K&N´s together with AA coded Mopar PCM´s.

Last edited by a moderator:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you remove the rain deflector? I believe even with the PCM you throw codes if the rain deflector is removed.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen4 got service and a K&N Typhoon kit this week. Full Belanger and Mopar PCM have been installed by Roanoke on car delivery in 2009.

I did a 100mls testdrive when picking up the car. Excellent/better throttle response above 4,500revs

On the way back home at Saturday night I drove constantly 150 mph and up on the German Autobahn. The PCM sent an engine warning light and stopped us cruising. After a 5 minute stopp I did a new try with 185 mph same error: fault code P2174

Today, Sunday, I drove back to my Viper shop and they worked 6h sorting things out (I fully trust in the guys of Viperteam):
After four 150mph plus testdrives removing the K&N, installing a new PCM, sensors... forward and backward things are clear:

The PCM installed by Roanoke 4/2009 coded ...AA... is not able to handle my new setup.
Now, having a new PCM installed and the K&N plus the full Belanger I love it. :2tu:

The cost of 2 Mopar controllers $$$ are no fun :omg:
My hope is Roanoke will have an idea when I´ll give them a call.

So beware of installing K&N´s together with AA coded Mopar PCM´s.

This is your code,"P2174-AIRFLOW RESTRICTION DETECTED" you CAN NOT leave the "Drychargers" or "rain socks" over the K&N filters if you are driving the vehicle hard. It should not of taken 6 hours to fix or find out. There is nothing wrong with running a mopar PCM with a K& N filter

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoeCom05

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new Mopar PCM is coded ...AB... instead of ...AA... and everything works fine. A 2010 version.

There has to be enough air flow above 150mph to feed the K&N's. Otherwise the newer PCM would result in the same fault code.
???

Last edited:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Mopar PCM is coded ...AB... instead of ...AA... and everything works fine. A 2010 version.

There has to be enough air flow above 150mph to feed the K&N's. Otherwise the newer PCM would result in the same fault code.
???

Can you remove the rain deflector now?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is your code,"P2174-AIRFLOW RESTRICTION DETECTED" you CAN NOT leave the "Drychargers" or "rain socks" over the K&N filters if you are driving the vehicle hard. It should not of taken 6 hours to fix or find out. There is nothing wrong with running a mopar PCM with a K& N filter

Yes, knave heard this before.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Remove the K&N rain socks---I prefer the stock airbox.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had same issue with the rain socks on. Took them off and no more codes.

I have the K&N Typhoon kit and I think I'm going back to OEM box with K&N drop in. I hit the dyno this weekend and with headers, ported upper and lower intake and Mopar PCM I hit 582. I think my numbers should be a little higher and the K&N my be the issue. I've heard the Typhoon's don't really make any power from other users.

OP
OP
J

JoeCom05

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Attached a photo of the label on the Mopar PCM from Roanoke. The label of the new Mopar PCM looks different - not just a newer date :oops:

Attachments

• 2011-04 116.jpg
    2011-04 116.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 52

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>Today, Sunday, I drove back to my Viper shop and they worked 6h sorting things out (I fully trust in the guys of Viperteam):
After four 150mph plus testdrives removing the K&N, installing a new PCM, sensors... forward and backward things are clear:<<<<<<<<<<<<<

You mention the guy........................................who crashed my RT/10........:rolleyes:
I do not trust them - guess why? :lmao:

BTW, my GEN-4 runs perfect with the Mopar PCM delivered by Roanoke and installed myself back in 2009 with the help of a trustworthy Dodge dealership here in Southern Bavaria. :sun:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

JoeCom05

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The photo shows the label of my old PCM from Roanoke and underneath the white label is a code ...AA... instead of ...AB...

I hope to get the code tomorrow.

###

@ViperGTS:
As far as I know your Gen4 you don´t have the K&N Typhoon kit and full Belangers installed. Mine had no problems either before adding the K&N. The complete set resulted in P2174.

:double::double::double::double:

We all know they crashed your RT/10 three years before and you got a high compensation in total for that mistake. I and a hell lot more Viper owners trust in these guys and their Venom-knowledge. This won´t change by your grumble.
There is and has to be an end for every story in life...

Reaction score
What is also interesting is that the Mopar Performance catalog specifies "P5155254AB Engine Control Module, Stage 1, 2008-10 Viper". Yet if you were to order that today, you would receive this:

gen4module.jpg

Note that they now show the "AB" in the part number.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. Sure would like to know what the difference is if any. I got a very early one and I'm not convinced it's programmed correctly. I got zero extra horsepower out of it.

OP
OP
J

JoeCom05

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got further details and understand now the difference of the 2 management modules:

- the PCM which has been installed by Roanoke 2009 looks similar to a standard unit labeled like a Mopar PCM. When the Dodge dealer checks the PCM today with his analyzer by OBD2 they get the version number P5155255AA

- my new Mopar PCM and the one on the photo of Viper Parts of America look different & work excellent in my setting. Reading their informations via OBD2 deliver the version number P5155255AB.

=> My Viper is much more livelier on the new PCM above 4,500revs and this can´t be the K&N alone.
I don´t believe the AA- & AB- PCMs are equal in bits and bytes.

Last edited:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only differences is that the AB version will work better at higher altitudes, no other changes were made to it.

Glad I live in a low altitude area then. My car ran like crap at VOI in Salt Lake.

OP
OP
J

JoeCom05

Viper Owner
Reaction score
altitude = air pressure

There might be an influence on the K&N problem.

@mjorgensen:
As far as you can value after seeing the photos: Is my old PCM an original Mopar Race ECU or just a standard PCM?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper