Introduction

Bud Fox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all

Just picked up my first viper..a 96 blue and white 1 owner GTS. car has very low miles. I bought the car as a weekend/sunday driver and not to race. Car is all original. Just wanted to do a few upgrades,mainly bolt on stuff that can be removed if needed. Was thinking air filter and any minor items that you guys think are appropriate upgrades. Thanks In Advance...great site also

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:2tu: Welcome, Join VCA asap & post what area you live in . :dunno: Then other Viper owners will help in future. :drive: Pictures of car also helps.:lmao::lmao:

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Join up with the VCA....it's a great community!

Congrats on your first Viper...sounds like you got a mint GTS!

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like a nice viper to start off i wood do the air filters and exhaust then go from there

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the tires are old, new tires. Filters/Smooth Tubes and Exhaust. That's mainly the best things if you wanna keep it simple. I did all these things within the first 2 months of owning my car.

Also, an accessory that is somewhat important and was actually the first thing I bought for my car, were the Trunk Struts. The stock one's on the rear hatch aren't very good.
I paid about $40 for mine.

Here is a link: REAR HATCH TRUNK LIFT SUPPORTS SHOCKS STRUTS ARMS PROPS - eBay (item 170613758766 end time Apr-08-11 13:47:59 PDT)

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed on the tires comment. If they are the originals then this should be the first "mod." Also, welcome to the boards!! :)

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase of a highly desirable GTS! Let the mods begin & dont hold back...lifes too short.:2tu:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Bud on your new ride & definitely join the VCA as soon as possible. The VCA is a great group of guys & gals with a world of knowledge about Vipers waiting to help with just about anything you can think of & you can get some great discounts & make some good friends. My car is a RT/10 2000 model & the tires looked brand new (only 8k miles on them) BUT they were very hard & very Dangerous. Didn't realize until I bought a new set & it was like night & day (I would have never thought they would have made that much difference) side by side they looked almost the same. Just make sure there is nothing around you the first time you want to see a lil' bit of what it will do, cause the rear end will swing around on you before you know it. You might be a Great driver, I'm just saying. Enjoy & Be Careful!

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Bud on your new ride & definitely join the VCA as soon as possible. The VCA is a great group of guys & gals with a world of knowledge about Vipers waiting to help with just about anything you can think of & you can get some great discounts & make some good friends. My car is a RT/10 2000 model & the tires looked brand new (only 8k miles on them) BUT they were very hard & very Dangerous. Didn't realize until I bought a new set & it was like night & day (I would have never thought they would have made that much difference) side by side they looked almost the same. Just make sure there is nothing around you the first time you want to see a lil' bit of what it will do, cause the rear end will swing around on you before you know it. You might be a Great driver, I'm just saying. Enjoy & Be Careful!

This is true... be very careful, you have the enormous V10..a monster of an engine in the front of the car, and yet pretty much *nothing* weighing the car down in the rear except for the spare tire. I actually removed mine and put a custom sub box in with 2 subs, but regardless.. you also don't have any ABS either. So just realize, while learning to drive the car the back end will swing out on you sometimes. Once you get a feel for the car, you will know how to correct it. Just always be on guard. I've had two close calls before and have been driving mine for 3 years.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great choice Bud! That old car will turn heads everywhere so be ready for the random cellphone pics and numerous thumbs-up...

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 B&W was purchased just like yours last year. After joining the VCA and reading/participating in the forum I found some great advice and some personal changes. Top of the list, dump the stock tires. It doesn't affect collector value to change tires and you won't end up in a ditch. Power steering bracket/pulley fails over time, upgrade them. Check your engine and trans mounts, most likely they are failing so upgrade to poly. Adjust your doors for sag. Flush all fluids. The rest is all personal changes so have fun and make it yours!

Attachments

• 1-17-11 123.jpg
    1-17-11 123.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 5

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice choice of car, congrats! As VooDooRob says...change all fluids just to be safe and know all are good.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Along with other advice, if you plan to drive the car any distance at all ( hours at a time), consider swapping out the cats for Hi-flows. This mod really improves the driver and passenger comfort. I almost never had to use the heater before the mod and now I have to occasionally. We drove the car to Denver and back. before the mod. The biggest complaint from my wife was the toasty toes. After the hi-flow cats modification, she is happy to ride along with me.

The car will sound even better.

YOU BOUGHT THE BEST LOOKING VIPER.....but then again, I might be a little biased....:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456