Drivers window not working.

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to roll the window up and nothing. It looks like it might be the motor in the door? The window up and down switch works as I switched wires and made it work for the other window. The wires look good all the way to the door. No fuse for the windows? If its the window motor whats the trick to get out? I have the 3 nuts off but how do you remove the cables?

Glen

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The wires look good all the way to the door.

Did you check for current all the way to the motor? I would start by checking the wires in the rubber boot leading from the chassis to the door. A quick forum search will yield MANY threads about broken wires leading to odd door problems (mine was a speaker wire broken, but they're all jammed in there tight).

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glen, is that elbow healed enough to be messing around with your car?! ;) couldn't stand not tinkering on it could ya? Take care. Jeff

OP
OP
Glen97

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glen, is that elbow healed enough to be messing around with your car?! ;) couldn't stand not tinkering on it could ya? Take care. Jeff

Now that's funny. I had surgery Friday I think I was playing with the car Sunday. Janis tells me everyday if I could work on the Viper I could well she had a list. This window thing has me stumped. I have the car apart again.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glen, my first guess would be one of the wires going through the door at the hinge has broken as previous suggested. These wire get bent and bent back every time the door opens and closes. After so many cycles the metal fatigues and breaks.

Good Luck!

PS I just now realize that it was Janis's Vette I saw in the parking lot at the club meeting. I guess it is kinda hard to drive a viper with your right arm in a cast.......

OP
OP
Glen97

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glen, my first guess would be one of the wires going through the door at the hinge has broken as previous suggested. These wire get bent and bent back every time the door opens and closes. After so many cycles the metal fatigues and breaks.

Good Luck!

PS I just now realize that it was Janis's Vette I saw in the parking lot at the club meeting. I guess it is kinda hard to drive a viper with your right arm in a cast.......

I'm just getting ready to go test the wires from switch to window motor. Yes that was Janis's vette and she even wanted to park up front. It's even harder to sit in the right seat of a vette with your wife driving.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just getting ready to go test the wires from switch to window motor. Yes that was Janis's vette and she even wanted to park up front. It's even harder to sit in the right seat of a vette with your wife driving.

Now THAT'S funny! I know when we raced karts in Sacramento on Saturday you seemed to be pain free, hope it was that way on Sunday when you started tinkering. I also believe you have a broken wire in that rats nest at the foward door jam as well, good luck! Jeff

OP
OP
Glen97

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. It ended up being one of the wires broken going through the door hinge area. Just a fyi Blue and white wire from window switch to window motor. Drivers side. Right side the wires are purple and brown.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. It ended up being one of the wires broken going through the door hinge area. Just a fyi Blue and white wire from window switch to window motor. Drivers side. Right side the wires are purple and brown.

Same thing happened in my GTS. I have heard that it is pretty common.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My driver's window goes up very slow.. the passenger side always rolls up quicker. Most likely the motor for it, so I will be having this looked into over the summer for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave