Using NOS to overcome very high DA

ILTTG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all, I was hoping some of forum the gear heads could give me their takes on the possibility of using a 100-150 shot of NOS on a Gen 4 to overcome the very high DA here.

The elevation of the nearest strip is 3900 feet, and after that, it's 4200 feet. Since I'm out in the desert, the temps are typically 80-90 degrees at night. Using various calculators, I get DAs of 6000-7000 feet. In practice, this has equated to times in the 12's, with trap speeds varying from 117 to 119.

I read the thread about the car's PCM powering down the car after a shift on NOS, which begs the question: is this happening because the air/fuel characteristics with the NOS is throwing the PCM off, or because of something related to the car making so much more power? If it's the first, then I'm probably screwed, but if it's the second, a 100 shot of NOS would only be taking me up to the car's rated horsepower at sea level (by my estimates I'm losing about 90 horsepower to the low density air.)

Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nitrous and gen4 doesn't work well together I believe. Pretty sure the pcm will shut down on activation. But I'm sure with a boatload of money it can be tuned to work

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I always felt bad for the guys running at Bandamiere (sp?). Density Altitude at it's worst, good luck.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know you have a fast stocker when your at a DA of 7000 and still can trap around 120 mph

OP
OP
I

ILTTG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You know you have a fast stocker when your at a DA of 7000 and still can trap around 120 mph

Yeah haha, it's pretty humorous showing up and seeing a C6 corvette run high 13's/low 14's. However, it's galling to see turbocharged ricemobiles doing so well. I was rather hoping NOS would regain some of that lost horsepower for me.

plumcrazy, it was my understanding that what was happening was that the PCM would kill the car's power after an upshift with NOS installed. What I'm wondering is if this would be mitigated by the fact that I'd be using NOS to get my car air with oxygen density similar to sea level.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good point, i certainly dont know. id get a hold of dan at viper specialty. he seem to know a lot about this kinda stuff with the gen4

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldnt adding..

headers
manifold
tune

yield 40 rwhp and get you around 120-124 mph trapps?

Im always weary on putting nos on these srt10 or z06 engines. Good friend of mine just blew up his c6Z06 engine after useing NOS about 5 times.

Good luck