New Owner

RyanRC187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I picked up a 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 a couple of weeks ago as a winging present to myself. :usa:

Just wanted to say hello to everyone.

You must be registered for see images

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My kind of Viper owner -------------competent in both high and low level flying, ha!

" I have the need for Speed!" A fighter pilot's motto on the ground or in the air!!:2tu:

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool. I met/talked with a pilot a few years back at an air show with the F18 Pukin' Dogs out of Virginia Beach.

OP
OP
R

RyanRC187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't those usually all land on CARRIER decks? Congrats, and THANKS for your service....

JonB~~~~:<~

They do - I got my initial carrier qual out of Key West in the T-45C back in February. And no problem, it's my pleasure.

My kind of Viper owner -------------competent in both high and low level flying, ha!

" I have the need for Speed!" A fighter pilot's motto on the ground or in the air!!:2tu:

A favorite movie to be sure. As cheesy as it sounds, it probably had some impact on me deciding to pursue this as a career.

Cool. I met/talked with a pilot a few years back at an air show with the F18 Pukin' Dogs out of Virginia Beach.

Nice. I've done some instrument approaches at Victoria from my time in Kingsville. And nice avatar. For some reason I don't seem to be able to upload one of my own.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have quite a few guys in the VA Beach area in the club. PM me your email address and I will forward your message to Tom so that we can get you added to the email distribution list. If you have any questions regarding the club, please let me know. BTW, nice looking car, congrats!

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man a Viper and an F-18???????????? Congrats on the Wings the car is cool the Wings significantly more so!!!!

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your service Sir!

An '03 Viper Red, looks familiar to me:) Great choice! I was fortunate to find one with 3900miles on it!
greg

OP
OP
R

RyanRC187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We have quite a few guys in the VA Beach area in the club. PM me your email address and I will forward your message to Tom so that we can get you added to the email distribution list. If you have any questions regarding the club, please let me know. BTW, nice looking car, congrats!

PM sent.

Congrat's & welcome aboard!!!

Congrats and Welcome RyanRC187! :2tu:

Fast & faster, you've got both covered! :usa:

Welcome and thank you for your service!

Nice one! Congratulations and thanks !:usa:

Thank you all.

Man a Viper and an F-18???????????? Congrats on the Wings the car is cool the Wings significantly more so!!!!

I have to pay for the Viper some how. ;)

Thank you for your service Sir!

An '03 Viper Red, looks familiar to me:) Great choice! I was fortunate to find one with 3900miles on it!
greg

Nice! Yes, she's quite a looker in red. I enjoy the looks I receive that I never got when I had my C5.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Those T45s always remind me of a mini F-4 Phantom..is that you at 10' for the 1st wire?

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
R

RyanRC187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those T45s always remind me of a mini F-4 Phantom..is that you at 10' for the 1st wire?

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry for the extended time without a reply, I've been busy getting settled here in Virginia Beach. The guy about to trap is not me - I took the picture from "Vulture's Row" while watching the other studs qual. You can see my airplane at the top of the picture sitting right by the LSO platform, to the left of the aircraft sitting adjacent to it.

OP
OP
R

RyanRC187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately it looks like I've come upon my first problem as a Viper owner. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated, and I've conducted searches with little results.

For the past month or so I was noticing that my car would making a "clicking" or "clunking" sound in slow (approximately 5-10mph) sharp turns, such as U-turns and driving in parking garages. Other than the noise, I've not experienced any other problems, but I wanted to get it checked out. I've read similar account of other cars needing their differential fluid replaced, which has oftentimes solved the problem. This morning I dropped the car off at the local Dodge dealer that has one certified Viper tech and told him off the issues.

I just got a call about an hour ago saying that he thinks the entire transmission or differential needs replaced, and then quoted me the outrageous prices of $5,300 for a new transmission, or $3,350 for a new rear end. Obviously those prices are completely ridiculous. And just now as I'm typing this I received a call from the representative that stated the tech wants to "put in a new transmission assembly and drive it to see if that fixes the problem."

Now I've told her to have him replace the fluid in the differential and I'll be coming to pick up the car. But I have a few questions.

1) Any good shops in the Virginia Beach area that may be of more help if replacing the fluid doesn't solve the problem.
2) What type of cost would I be looking at if I do need to replace the transmission? The differential?
3) Best sources to purchases these parts if it does come to that?

Thank you guys very much.

V

Venomiss

Unfortunately it looks like I've come upon my first problem as a Viper owner. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated, and I've conducted searches with little results.

For the past month or so I was noticing that my car would making a "clicking" or "clunking" sound in slow (approximately 5-10mph) sharp turns, such as U-turns and driving in parking garages. Other than the noise, I've not experienced any other problems, but I wanted to get it checked out. I've read similar account of other cars needing their differential fluid replaced, which has oftentimes solved the problem. This morning I dropped the car off at the local Dodge dealer that has one certified Viper tech and told him off the issues.

I just got a call about an hour ago saying that he thinks the entire transmission or differential needs replaced, and then quoted me the outrageous prices of $5,300 for a new transmission, or $3,350 for a new rear end. Obviously those prices are completely ridiculous. And just now as I'm typing this I received a call from the representative that stated the tech wants to "put in a new transmission assembly and drive it to see if that fixes the problem."

Now I've told her to have him replace the fluid in the differential and I'll be coming to pick up the car. But I have a few questions.

1) Any good shops in the Virginia Beach area that may be of more help if replacing the fluid doesn't solve the problem.
2) What type of cost would I be looking at if I do need to replace the transmission? The differential?
3) Best sources to purchases these parts if it does come to that?

Thank you guys very much.

Ask the experts-the SRT Engineers Live here today at 5:00-7:00 PM Eastern time(4:00 Central,3:00 Mountain, 2:00 Pacific).

http://forums.viperclub.org/forums/200-SRT-Engineering-Q-A-Area

Last edited by a moderator:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.........For the past month or so I was noticing that my car would making a "clicking" or "clunking" sound in slow (approximately 5-10mph) sharp turns, such as U-turns and driving in parking garages. ......... I dropped the car off at the local Dodge dealer that has one certified Viper tech and told him off the issues.

I just got a call about an hour ago saying that he thinks the entire transmission or differential needs replaced, .

FIRST: "Driveline Clunk" is probably the most common complaint of Viper Buyers, new or used. Your right ear and elbow are almost atop the diff, and you can "feel" the loading-unloading at parking-lot speeds, as well as the 6th-gear hiway lugging. Your 'condition' may be normal!

SECOND: These sounds are always lounder in reverse turns...........sometimes scary!

THIRD: The G3 rear diff internals are a weak link.........consider a new or used Gen 4 unit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RyanRC187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FIRST: "Driveline Clunk" is probably the most common complaint of Viper Buyers, new or used. Your right ear and elbow are almost atop the diff, and you can "feel" the loading-unloading at parking-lot speeds, as well as the 6th-gear hiway lugging. Your 'condition' may be normal!

SECOND: These sounds are always lounder in reverse turns...........sometimes scary!

THIRD: The G3 rear diff internals are a weak link.........consider a new or used Gen 4 unit.

Haha, yes it is a far cry from my C5 Corvette I owned - But you know what, I wouldn't take a comfortable Leerjet over a Hornet! Fortunately the new fluid and friction modifier appears to have done the trick after putting about a 100 miles or so on her in the past two days like the SRT Engineers advised on chat.

I am going to start looking into upgrading the drivetrain so I'll be able to take it to the track without worry when I finally get a chance.