Started work on my dash overhaul :)

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since it is so crappy here in KY with record rainfall and flooding I thought this would be a perfect time to start overhauling the "fuzzy" paint dash. I have seen so many of you guys who have painted it flat black and why it did not come from the factory like that is beyond me, maybe it was so guys like me could "tinker" with their dash :dunno:

Anyway I started with the small center section first as a "test gauge" for how the dash will be, and I have to say following the directions of others who have gone before me proved very easy. I bought a 5.00 can of ultra strength easy off oven cleaner, and 1 can of black primer and flat black paint and a Scotts scouring sponge (the kind that said it is not suppose to scratch). All in all it cost me 16 bucks for this look which I think turned out amazing :2tu: Now onto the dash removal I'll post some update pics when I get her done!

Attachments

• DSC01303.jpg
    DSC01303.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 000_3552.jpg
    000_3552.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 73

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm very happy I did mine and I expect you'll be happy with yours. It's well worth some elbow grease and a few bux in paint...

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah I know you are right, in the pic above that is just the primer coat and damn it is the perfect sheen for me, any reason I can't just use primer vs. a top coat of flat enamel????

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I know you are right, in the pic above that is just the primer coat and damn it is the perfect sheen for me, any reason I can't just use primer vs. a top coat of flat enamel????

I did mine and wondered the same thing... I went ahead and pianted a few coats of paint over it. That way if it was scatched there was still black under it.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine's got a few coats of flat over the primer then a sheen created when I wiped it down with speedwax... Came out with more of a mat finish that looks pretty good, IMO

-cheers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62