Convertible Top

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a latch that holds the top in the down position (lever on the driver side to release) It is referred to as the downstack latch in the owners manual.

It seems to be VERY loose and not engaging on my car. Does anyone think this is an issue with driving with top down... will the trunk hold the top down without issues?

Anyone know how I might be able to tighten and adjust this latch? Can I pull the inner wheel well and access the bolts from in there?

F

FrgMstr

Are the mounting points for the locking mechanism actually loose? Is the locking mechanism worn? How much movement are you seeing the top make while you are running down the road?

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shouldn't be loose. You should have to apply a little force to the edge/corner of the top to engage the latch. Replacing the latch should solve the problem but the trunk lid will secure the top.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, I think you want to fix it for sure. I'd doubt at normal highway speeds you risk having the top fly away or something (although I almost literally had that happen on my Gen2, with a bad latch & didn't know it), but I'd be concerned about premature wearing from the loose rubbing of the materials, plus potentially losing a piece of hardware that you'll need in the fastner itself. I have a service manual at home, if no one has offered more detail for you by tonight, I'll take a look and see what the access is and what it might be like under there.
Dave.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can access the screws that hold the latch in place behind your seat. Just move the seat forward and tilt the back out of the way. Next pop off the plastic cover where the race harness attaches and reach insde to find the bolts. They can get loose. I remember mine were loose just after I bought the car.

OP
OP
R

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can access the screws that hold the latch in place behind your seat. Just move the seat forward and tilt the back out of the way. Next pop off the plastic cover where the race harness attaches and reach insde to find the bolts. They can get loose. I remember mine were loose just after I bought the car.

Thanks for the replies...

Are you talking about the sport hoop access cover? I'll pop it off and take a peak in there tonight.

DMAN - I also have the service manual on CD and can't find any reference to that specific latch. If you find it shoot me the page number.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that's where you attach your upper harnesses at but also access to the hoops. You can reach back in there with a small 1/4 inch type rachet and tighten the vert latch down. Its not tough just a little twisting to reach back in there.

OP
OP
R

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that's where you attach your upper harnesses at but also access to the hoops. You can reach back in there with a small 1/4 inch type rachet and tighten the vert latch down. Its not tough just a little twisting to reach back in there.

Thanks Shandon. Exactly as you described. It was a 10MM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R