Junkman- best way to get rid of windshield water spots?

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best thing to do is start off with good water and prevent the spots. I recommend installing a few inline filters or buy a system like CR Spotless. Another option is to simply buy distilled water by the gallon and do your final rinse with distilled water.

To remove the spots, start off with Glass Cleaner as a lubricant and Clay Bar, as Carmen suggested. I think vinegar works as well.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My DD, the CTV-V's windshield was a mess--water spots etc. The other night I used glass polish and glass pads on a Porta Cable and it looks like new.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing about water spots is that no two situations are guaranteed to be the same. So the best way for me (nothing but a wash is necessary), may not work for you. You can always start by cleaning you windows and escalate from there. As was mentioned earlier, clay is one of your more advanced methods and polishing your windows just as you polish your paint can also be necessary to address real stubborn spots.

So there's really not a "best way" because everyone's situation may be different. I proved that with my series on how to deal with water spots on your paint.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBJG_loTlQ&feature=channel_video_title[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUa_jGC7a7c&feature=channel_video_title[/media]

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys. i will try clay. Already tried Windex-a lot of it. I also have metal polish in a tube...I forget the brand. I have a PC also.

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mineral deposits that have etched into the surface will require machine polishing for definitive removal.

There's a big difference between "water spots" and the remnants of the minerals and pollutants that dig their way into your paint/glass by way of sun baking. This explains why acid rain, and mineral deposit damage is still in the shape of the water that once was.

A water spot is an above surface issue where etching from water is below surface, hence the need for refinishing.

If the suggested measures previously stated in this thread are unable to cure your ailment you should consider starting with a da and a product like zaino's Z12 which is a fairly mild glass polish.

Removing or significantly decreasing serious defects in glass will require more abrasive action. Lake country makes a very aggressive glass polishing kit which comes with multiple specially designed pads and glass polish.

Preventing water spots and other contaminants that come with it will be much easier so long as you stay on it. A simple quick detail wipedown after each wash should be sufficient.

I have never had success with vinegar removing any kind of water damage, perhaps it is sufficient for spots that are still moist? I have however heard it suggested for years.

Side note, White vinegar does make a great pre rinse as it does have good grime cutting ability for those without garages stocked with detailing products.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used vinegar to get off some tuff water spots on the top of my side sills (Gen 2) where it collects under the doors and it worked pretty well.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree with Brian. As mentioned above on my DD, I had to use a porta cable with Griot glass pads and glass polish--all the elbow grease in the world was not going to do the trick.

Now on weekend cars it may be different. BTW, Brian I may still need you to look at the scratches on my V hood.

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great videos AJ. Any videos that show how to take care of water spots that have been etched into the paint? For those who haven't used the Machine Super Wax and Americana Pasta Wax combo, I can tell you first hand that it works GREAT! My car currently has 3 coats of Americana :lmao: I enjoy throwing a coat of wax on after every other time I wash the car. Nothing better then seeing the metallic pop out after a fresh coat of Adam's Americana Wax!

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great videos AJ. Any videos that show how to take care of water spots that have been etched into the paint? For those who haven't used the Machine Super Wax and Americana Pasta Wax combo, I can tell you first hand that it works GREAT! My car currently has 3 coats of Americana :lmao: I enjoy throwing a coat of wax on after every other time I wash the car. Nothing better then seeing the metallic pop out after a fresh coat of Adam's Americana Wax!

I would polish paint the same exact way for water spots that have etched into the clear coat as I do for scratches. The process is exactly the same because the process of removing the water spots that are etched requires shaving the clear coat. Same with scratches. The thing is, you have to address the problem quickly before they etch too deep into the clear. Once they do, you are either going to have to shave much more clear or you'll be repainting.

Wayne64SS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I get horrible water spots after washing, and i have a culligan water softener. What else do i need to install in the water line to get rid of these? I live in the country so i have a 400ft well.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure your wash hose is connected to the soft water side of your culligan. Often the water softener is piped only to the inside the house faucets. This is because softened water is not good for irrigation, and most outside hose bibs still have hard water.

Nobody mentioned products such as CLR. They are much stronger and more effective than vinegar for mineral water stains.

Wayne64SS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have no separate spigots, the entire house runs off the culligan. If you've ever seen my lawn / lack of landscaping you would totally not doubt me on this. ROFL.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get horrible water spots after washing, and i have a culligan water softener. What else do i need to install in the water line to get rid of these? I live in the country so i have a 400ft well.

Are you having problems with water spots on your paint or glass?

Wayne64SS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm going to **** my Culligan man if they show up here one more time. Every time they come here nothing gets fixed and I get a bill.

Wayne64SS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Should i buy an entire house de-ionizer / filter? Does it help with buildup / stains on faucets / tubs etc?? I'll buy one for just the car unless it would be beneficial to buy a much bigger system for the entire house.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full house ionizer is not what you want. Too expense to run and removes all minerals which are beneficial to drinking water.

(We have a well and installed a Hague system for water treatment including PH correction, filter, and water softener. We also installed an reverse osmosis drinkng water dispenser that also feeds the ice maker.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper