Official 2011 Tail of the Dragon Thread

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2011 Tail of the Dragon

The following is the general itinerary of the 2011 Tail of the Dragon Run. This annual event draws participants from several states and appears to be growing every year. We'll try to change a few cruise routes this year to keep things alive, but some things will never change! Based on past experience, there are some delays built-in that will allow us to stay on schedule and possibly add a site-seeing stop. Please note that we are scheduling a theater show Saturday afternoon for an entertaining rest break. This show will not appear as a scheduled show on their website, it will be added to their schedule for us and opened to the public as well.

Friday June 3rd Knoxville->Tail->Pigeon Forge
9:00am Earlybirds begin arriving to eat, gas, meetup
10:30am LEAVING ******* Barrel to Cruise to Cherahola Market/Exxon
12:15am Arrive Cherahola Market/Exxon, meetup with southern members, get gas/snacks
1:00pm Cherahola Skyway to Robbinsville, NC
2:45pm Arrive at Deal's Gap, meetup with GA/SC members
3:15pm Tail of the Dragon @ Deal’s Gap
4:30pm Cruise to Pigeon Forge via Foothills PK
5:30pm Check-in at Country Cascades
7:00pm Dinner at Alamo

Saturday June 4th Pigeon Forge->Smokies->Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge
8:00-9:45am Breakfast, car cleanup, gas
10:00am LEAVING for Mountain Cruise (Clingman's Dome, Lunch)
1:45pm Return to hotel
2:30pm Leave for “Grand Magic” Theater Show (http://grandmagicshow.com/)
3:00pm Theater Show
4:45pm Return to room
6:30pm Leave for Gatlinburg (Parade!)
7:00pm Dinner/Sightseeing/Shopping
9:30ish Return to Pigeon Forge (on your own)

Sunday June 5th Pigeon Forge->Home
9:00am Breakfast
10:00 TBD group cruising/drive home

Book Hotel: Country Cascades @ 800-223-6707.
48 hrs cancellation policy.
$72+tax (Omelet & Waffle Bar bkfast included).
Reference AL/TN Viper Club

OP
OP
B

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The final itinerary will be available as we get closer to the event. The itinerary will be mailed to AL/TN/GA/SC members through their respective club presidents and a posting on this thread will give others access to the itinerary and the trip details.

Please note that the Sunday schedule does not include an SCCA auto-cross event at ATL Motor Speedway. We are trying to accommodate our extreme southern members (there are a lot of enthusiastic drivers from Miami!) and also don't really want to cram too many events in one weekend. More details on the Southeastern VCA Rendezvous auto-x event will be sent through the regional presidents as details emerge. Expect sometime in July or early August.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett,

I've only been up that way once or twice. Is there any way we can get addresses for the ******* Barrel and the Cherahola Market/Exxon so we can look it up before hand or use GPS?
Hopefully some others that are more familiar can chime in to help out the others. :)

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett,

I've only been up that way once or twice. Is there any way we can get addresses for the ******* Barrel and the Cherahola Market/Exxon so we can look it up before hand or use GPS?
Hopefully some others that are more familiar can chime in to help out the others. :)

I think CB address is on last years thread. I-40, exit 373 Campbell Sta. Rd, I think.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett,

Or head south Thursday night. I hear some GA-VCA members may be at that really good ******* in Atlanta for dinner :D

AIRBNDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your coming from the Chatt. area , a nice drive is .... rt.64 through the Ocoee Gorge , into Ducktown { a quack'n good place }... take rt.68 north ... follow to the 68 / 294 split .... take the rt.68 dog-leg left { heading north }... follow through the mountains { 20 miles or so } this dumps you out in Tellico Plains { still rt. 68 }... I believe the first traffic light in Tellico , you would make a right , follow about 1/4 mile or so to the Tellico Market .
This cruise is beautiful right up to the Market where the real fun begin's !

Pennina and I plan to be meeting up w/ everybody in Tellico , but anybody who wants to ... we can meet up maybe in Cleveland ,TN. and all cruise the Gorge & rt.68 together to the Tellico meet .
INTERESTED ? [email protected] , email us and we'll make arrangements.

Todd

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2011 Tail of the Dragon

Book Hotel: Country Cascades @ 800-223-6707.
48 hrs cancellation policy.
$72+tax (Omelet & Waffle Bar bkfast included).
Reference AL/TN Viper Club

Did the host hotel change from the Shular to the Country Cascades? :dunno:

OP
OP
B

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got very explicit details for the drive down...too much to put here! Will send out to everyone a little later. It's almost a turn-for-turn put out last year by T. Curtner. The Ocoee western approach mentioned is what I usually take and it's a good way to Cherahola.

The hotel changed a couple of newsletters ago...hopefully everyone will get the message here.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, you guys are killing me....................................:D

Does the Country Cascades have enough parking for the trucks/trailers?

Edit: I just called, found out all the reservations for the shular were cancelled and I just booked with CC. I am planning on getting there on the 1st, making a week of it.

Last edited:

AIRBNDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
800-223-6707 ... call 'em ... they were really nice on the phone this morning when Pennina called to make reservations .:drive:

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tail of the Dragon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The gen 1 shower curtain is packed :2tu:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Tail drive on Saturday??? For those not ariving until Friday night they won't get a chance to drive the legendary Tail Of The Dragon. And what's the theater show all about?

OP
OP
B

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Until last year, most years had a Friday Tail and Saturday Mountain Run. There are 6 scheduled hours on the road (plus however many it takes to get to the starting point) for Friday and about 5 hours on Saturday. There is a contingency plan for Saturday to do the Dragon if Friday is a washout (like last year for most, in addition to that pesky rockslide that really threw a kink in things!). The show is an entertaining vegas-style magic show scheduled in the theater for our group and is intended to break the afternoon up before cruising to Gatlinburg...somewhat of a different approach to a rest break.

There's no problem for those wanting to do the Tail twice (weather permitting) or arriving late on Friday. It's about 2 hours from the hotel to the end of the Dragon and 2 hours back (short way), plus the traditional stop, eat, T-shirt, car/bike gawking.

Although it may go without saying, there is some consideration in scheduling for group delays, social vs ******** enthusiast members, and trying something new/different. What's good to remember is that the attendees make the event and one person's thrilling 318 turns driving only with their knees is as strong a memory to them as another person's perfection of their Gatlinburg parade wave....

Last edited:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, you guys are killing me....................................:D

Does the Country Cascades have enough parking for the trucks/trailers?

Edit: I just called, found out all the reservations for the shular were cancelled and I just booked with CC. I am planning on getting there on the 1st, making a week of it.

Which car you bringing? :headbang:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To make the Tail of the Dragon trip a little more interesting this year, Brett, AL/TN VCA President, has decided to have the 1st annual HOTTUB PARTY!! Me and a few other VCA members who are high rollers (and 1 slow yellow Viper owner) have rented a cabin again this year and it comes with a hottub. Instead of letting it go to waste, we're going to use it this year! I've already confirmed 4 VCA chicks (including the world famous "Viper Twins"!!)for the party with a few more calls to make. After Brett called me with this idea, he said that hottub parties can be boring and asked if we could host a hot oil wrestling match as well b/t the Viper chicks. I figured to hell with the security deposit, let's do it! Thats where we need sponsors. I figure out of all the Viper vendors, someone will chip in to pay for the oil and maybe donate a set of tires for the winner!

Me and Stretch will also go by Knoxville ******* to look for some contestants and so Stretch can order some cheesy fries :D

Also, since hot oil is well, hot, will any injuries incurred at said hottub/hot oil wrestling match be covered by VCA insurance? This is a VCA event afterall :lmao:

I thank you in advance of your donations and feel free to send stickers with your website for the girls to wear as outfits.

As I was talking to Chip (uvbnbit) about this plan, he asked that I put all blame on Brett. So, please remember if anyone is innocent in this idea...its me and Chip.

p.s.--we really are doing a hottub party at our cabin this year :D If you haven't decided to make the trip yet, NOW would be the time! June 3-5. We're meeting at the Tail of the Dragon around 2:30pm or so. We have between 40-50 Vipers each year! And this is gonna be the best one yet!!!​

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoping to have my engine back together by then. It will be cutting it VERY close! It ***** not being about to drive this thing for the last two months. Wish me luck!

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you use Mobil One 5-30!!!!

To make the Tail of the Dragon trip a little more interesting this year, Brett, AL/TN VCA President, has decided to have the 1st annual HOTTUB PARTY!! Me and a few other VCA members who are high rollers (and 1 slow yellow Viper owner) have rented a cabin again this year and it comes with a hottub. Instead of letting it go to waste, we're going to use it this year! I've already confirmed 4 VCA chicks (including the world famous "Viper Twins"!!)for the party with a few more calls to make. After Brett called me with this idea, he said that hottub parties can be boring and asked if we could host a hot oil wrestling match as well b/t the Viper chicks. I figured to hell with the security deposit, let's do it! Thats where we need sponsors. I figure out of all the Viper vendors, someone will chip in to pay for the oil and maybe donate a set of tires for the winner!

Me and Stretch will also go by Knoxville ******* to look for some contestants and so Stretch can order some cheesy fries :D

Also, since hot oil is well, hot, will any injuries incurred at said hottub/hot oil wrestling match be covered by VCA insurance? This is a VCA event afterall :lmao:

I thank you in advance of your donations and feel free to send stickers with your website for the girls to wear as outfits.

As I was talking to Chip (uvbnbit) about this plan, he asked that I put all blame on Brett. So, please remember if anyone is innocent in this idea...its me and Chip.

p.s.--we really are doing a hottub party at our cabin this year :D If you haven't decided to make the trip yet, NOW would be the time! June 3-5. We're meeting at the Tail of the Dragon around 2:30pm or so. We have between 40-50 Vipers each year! And this is gonna be the best one yet!!!​

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You better make it. Call me if you need help getting it back together and in. Sal

Hoping to have my engine back together by then. It will be cutting it VERY close! It ***** not being about to drive this thing for the last two months. Wish me luck!

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure will Sal, I'm paying JE an extra $300 to get my pistons to me by the middle of next week. My birthday is the 30th so I am hopping to have this car up and running good for my birthday present. ha Once it is up and running hope to get the break in done change the oil and be ready for the meet. Looking forward to it.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you going to have some young and unmarried girls there? You better if you want my donation:)

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's been the hold up, machine work?

Sure will Sal, I'm paying JE an extra $300 to get my pistons to me by the middle of next week. My birthday is the 30th so I am hopping to have this car up and running good for my birthday present. ha Once it is up and running hope to get the break in done change the oil and be ready for the meet. Looking forward to it.

OP
OP
B

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Contrary to published media reports, I did not sanction the "oil" part of the aforementioned hot tub event. It's sensationalist TMZ-wannabes like the two "innocent" parties that had "nothing" (actually more like "everything") to do with the planning, including some underwater cameras they secretly planned to attach somewhere inconspicuously on their person. Now that the newsletter is out on the event, all SE Region interested parties will flock to this thread for information and will get infomercials instead. I guess we'll see what type of crowd will join us in June...we'll either get a large pit of vipers in attendance or some pants-on-the-ground, backward hat-wearing, "Got a hemi wit dat?" attendees in their newly painted trucks (took nearly 13 cans!) with the tarp-lined-hot-tub-truck-bed....great...just great....

OP
OP
B

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chad, If you let a little air out of her, you can probably pack a little more.... (now I'm joining the "Gutter Gang"!....this is the stuff I was talking about!)

OP
OP
B

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
******* OFFICIAL UPDATE **********

Joking aside, this entry has the AL/TN club newsletter attached so everyone can get a little more information on the upcoming event(s).

Please register using one of the links in the newsletter so we can give a relatively accurate count to the places where we are booking reservations. There will be a final itinerary (including backup plans), maps, and attendee contact list sent out a couple of days before the event to those who register. This is a “busy” newsletter, so take your time reading the details…use our forum thread voice your thoughts, questions or complaints. Please note that each complaint should come with a solution and a person (you) to handle it…

…looking forward to another year of snakin’ the Tail Trail and shuttin’ down Gatlinburg for 15 minutes of fame!

Attachments

• Viper Club Newsletter - June 2011.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 44

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper