Ball Joint Issues

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2002 GTS with about 15,500 miles. During my annual inspection it was found that the lower rear ball joints were beyond acceptable limits and would need to be replaced. During the inspection it was also found that the upper rear ball joints had a good deal of play to them and would certainly need changing in the near future. It was also found that both the front ball joints (uppers and lowers) were beginning to see play. I was given an estimate of roughly 2,500 to fix just the rear lowers, 4,000 to fix both the uppers and lowers in the rear and 2,000 - 3,500 to do both the fronts. They cited that 75% of the estimate was part costs. My questions are: Does this sound reasonable? Do these ball joints really cost this much? Also why would my ball joints be failing at 15,000 miles? I can understand the rears with all the torque, but the fronts? Any and all comments are welcome.
Thank you

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Total BS. At 15K there is nothing wrong with your ball joints and the $ amount they quoted you is absolute robbery. Who are these clowns anyway? Is it a dealership?

OP
OP
M

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, not a dealership. A very honest garage. :dunno: I'll be calling around to find out prices for these ball joints, $750 per just sounds way to high. Anyone have an idea of what they cost? 2002 GTS.
Thanks in advance.

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow that is insane. Check out the performance ball joints from Woodhouse. All eight joints will cost you less than $750.

I also hope your shop is aware that the control arms need to be tightened at design hight under a ballast load if removed from the car.

Last edited:

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's an upper ball joint for $12.46. I don't know about the quality but if your garage is charging you what they say they're gonna charge you I wouldn't be surprised to see them install a $12 part.

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/Sea...2958&Pat=auto+car-usa+Parts+Brand+PartDetails

Maybe they quoted the gold plated ball joints, LOL. Sounds like the shop saw Viper and thought $$,$$$ $core! If they're your only shop and you believe they're honest then ask them to show you where/how they get $15,000 and call their bluff.

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the rears but you can check the fronts easily to verify the shops diagnoses. Lift each wheel several inches off the ground and grab the tire at 12 and 6. Rock the tire with a good amount of force and see if you can feel any movement.
This assumes, of course, that your bearings are ok as well as the other suspension components. You may want to remove the wheel and check the torque of the rotor mounting nut. On my 96 it is 150 lb-ft, not sure if it is different for your 02?

OP
OP
M

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your replies. I spent almost a half hour on the phone with my mechanic. He plans to call woodhouse and verify that these ball joints will work. He told me that Dodge/Chrysler saw this issue with the ball joints and in 2000 tweeked the suspension. Also they do not carry just the ball joints, and the reason for the high costs is to correct the lower you need to buy the whole knuckle set up ($620/each) and for the upper you need to buy the entire control arm ($780). His policy is to not install customer parts, but is willing to make an exception here because of the huge cost savings. He must have said "cluster f***" about 5 times LOL. Can anyone recommend any other after market companies that sell Viper ball joints? I'm sad to say that since I've became a family man the viper has slipped on it's priority :(. Thank you all for your help. I plan to continue my research.

Thanks - Matt

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:bonker:thats almost 8k with tax for ball joints hahahahahahahahahahah hahahahahahahahahahahaha

OP
OP
M

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What? No I am not spending 8K on ball joints! All I was saying was I believe he is confused and not trying to burn me. It's not like this is the first time I've used this guy. Who here takes there Viper to be serviced to a shop they don't trust? I can understand everyones comments on "he's trying to rip you off" cause thats the first thing I'd think AND THOUGHT... hence why I'm hear researching asking the people I feel know.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might not be able to order them seperate from the dealership just like the control arm bushings. If they go bad, they want you to buy a whole new a-arm. That's not to say companies don't make parts that will work. The old parts will just have to be pressed out and new ones installed CORRECTLY. While your @ it check all your bushings and arms for cracks, the bushing are known to go bad well before ball joints.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake Oyl Products has just started stocking all of the suspension bushings for all gens of Vipers. Give them a call. They Helped me out...