A barely audible mid/high pitched whine/whirr

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I searched, with no luck. I know this is going to be exceptionally hard over the internet, but I have a noise...

There is a barely audible (due to frequency) whine/whirr when the car is running. I haven't been able to locate it, but in the cabin it sounds like it may be coming from the rear... not 100% sure. It is best described as an electrical whine, like when there's a bad ground or something and you hear it over speakers; however, this occurs with the stereo off.

Any real noise drowns it out, but if it is quiet in the car you can hear it. I can't seem to hear it outside the car due to the engine noise itself.

So this is probably a "keep an eye on it" issue, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms before something broke... I'd rather not be away from home only to have a fuel pump or something go kaput (if it's something I can R/R ahead of time).

Thanks for any ideas!

Jon

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't really sound "electrical", but you can get a whine/whirr sound from your rear end. It usually isn't anything to worry about, but just annoying.

OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom thanks. I should mention it occurs at idle in neutral as well, so I don't think it's gears. (I should have said that).

nutkees

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have an amplifier in the back and your RCA connectors runs along the same side as your power input, you could get a electronic whine which can also change when you press the pedal.... Maybe something to look into.

OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about your fuel pump chief?

That's what I was kind of wondering...

I don't have the manual in front of me. Easy to replace? (the Corvette fuel pump is inside the tank and requires dropping it)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I was kind of wondering...

I don't have the manual in front of me. Easy to replace? (the Corvette fuel pump is inside the tank and requires dropping it)

The fuel pump is in the tank. You access it behind the seats.

Why do you want to replace it? The sound is normal....

OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel pump is in the tank. You access it behind the seats.

Why do you want to replace it? The sound is normal....

I don't :) Wasn't sure how normal it was... mainly asking in case it wasn't and didn't want to get stranded somewhere if it was avoidable.

While I don't know the Viper, I do know the sound of a fuel pump pressurizing, this sounded different, but it may just be because I don't know the Viper.

Thanks!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
some pumps r noisy = some not = does not mean they r bad

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't :) Wasn't sure how normal it was... mainly asking in case it wasn't and didn't want to get stranded somewhere if it was avoidable.

While I don't know the Viper, I do know the sound of a fuel pump pressurizing, this sounded different, but it may just be because I don't know the Viper.

Thanks!

Looks like you just got your car in April....Congrats

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave