2011 911 TT vs. 1997 Viper GTS

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First and foremost I was on the fence about posting this because I understand it's illegal, dangerous and childish to test the speed of any vehicle on anything but a closed course... but I did.. so here it goes.
I bought my GTS bone stock about a month ago and I had been dying to get to cars and coffee since I hadnt had a vehicle "worthy" in years. I went with a buddy of mine who has a 11' 911TT 6 speed naturally, has a few supporting mods, intake, exhaust.
anyway, to get to said event we have to travel over a bridge that's roughly 4 miles long, well.. there was no traffic and nothing but open road.
We went from about a 50 mph roll to 150? we stuck next to each other like glue the entire way.. at the end I had given up less than half a car lenght on him that i'll attribute to learning optimal shift points of the "new" to me vehicle.
I am so impressed that of the top end grunt of a car that's 14 years old with zero mods right down to the paper air filter is right there with Porshes flagship car that was over 3 X what I paid for my vehicle. and most importantly mine still turned more heads at the show. :D

love love love this vehicle..
You must be registered for see images attach

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt the old Dodge hardware is still streetworthy, but I am surprised that stock you'd be able to stay with a newer TT.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt the old Dodge hardware is still streetworthy, but I am surprised that stock you'd be able to stay with a newer TT.

I don't think it's suprising, without a doubt it would have been a different story from a dead stop given the AWD hooks hard. but really stock trap speeds tell the tale of overall power, and they're very similar.

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised, but good run. I have a friend with a 98 GTS that ran another buddy with a 2003 911 TT X50 car, both can drive well, Viper had about 2 cars on him until 120 and by 130/140 the Porsche was a head by a fender before the GTS shut it down. I'd venture to say that you are a really good driver, and your buddy, is not. A newer TT, especially with mods should put an easy car or 2 on a GTS.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant believe people in this day and age street race....thats VERY dangerous.

PS, i hope that wasnt the gandy bridge (which i know very well on a sat night, allegedly)

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm always tempted on the Gandy to just let'er fly...but fear the local law enforcement has to have some system in place to keep a lid on that section of the road. I've never seen a cop or monitoring devise, but I just can't believe it goes unpatrolled. Too tempting but too good to be true too I fear.

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I happen to own both a 2001 Viper and a 2008 997 turbo. While both are great cars they are very different. My viper has full exhaust and tune and the turbo only has a turbo back exhaust. There is no question that my turbo would kill my Viper in any straight line run. The only reasons that a Viper would stand a chance is because of the turbo lag in the porsche or a bad driver. Once it was on boost and the driver knew what he was doing, the porsche would be gone. That being said, if I had to chose between the two cars, I would keep the Viper. Its more fun on the track and far more beautiful. The Porsche feels like a really nice, really fast car but the Viper feels special.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have your Viper checked out then cause a stock 997 turbo without PDK is a fairly even match for a Gen 2 viper if both are stock.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's hard to compare a newer 911 Turbo with an earlier GEN II Viper in the first place...

If you took a 911 Turbo(993) from 96-99 and put it up against the GTS, it would be a close race. Both cars are very similar in performance. However, I believe the 911 would be slightly quicker off the line, but the Viper would eventually pull away with slightly faster top end speeds.

If you took a new GEN IV Viper against a new 911 Turbo, from everything I read the results would be very similar as well. The Porsche might have slightly quicker acceleration once again(even tho it might be splitting hairs), but the Viper still has a higher top speed in the end.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest difference in a lot of newer cars and the Viper is the skill level involved to get good times. Sure, maybe I can beat a 997 tt (auto) or GTR (paddle) down the qtr mile or stoplight to stoplight, but I better be damn perfect. Perfect launch (not easy to do) and perfect shifts, or I very likely lose. These new cars with auto, pdk, dual clutch, etc are simple to run extremely fast times EVERY time. Engage launch control and either pull the paddle or let off the brake and your GONE in awd glory. I love the fact that it takes skill to get good times out of Viper (and other cars), but it's amazing to me how blazingly fast cars are getting and ANYONE can get behind the wheel and repeat those times over and over again.

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's amazing to me how blazingly fast cars are getting and ANYONE can get behind the wheel and repeat those times over and over again.

Yep... mash and go... I'm not a street racer but it takes the fun out it... the entire point isn't how fast your car can go when you say GO, the point is how fast YOU CAN MAKE your car go...

I'm a road track guy, but the traction/control and active handling are the same story on the track... I turn that stuff OFF. If the car is saving me, I made a mistake (keeping in mind I'm no Mike Schumacher trying to win podium and millions of dollars LOL)

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not surprised at all. I got a 2010 911 Turbo as my 'rental' while my Viper was in the shop... at first I thought it was a 1998, as the styling on it was terrible. The car had >no< bottom end, it was all as soon as the turbo kicked in at around 3000+ RPM.... absolutely terrible.... especially for a car that retails for $190,000. Give me a break.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, glad to hear the Gen2 is keeping strong. I can't wait to be near 600rwhp engine only, running the autobahn passing up prissy little Porshes.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, glad to hear the Gen2 is keeping strong. I can't wait to be near 600rwhp engine only, running the autobahn passing up prissy little Porshes.

I'll be jealous when you do hit 600rwhp haha. I was just thinking yesterday about eventually actually doing ported heads/cam or the possibility of a Super Charger lol. After I buy another daily driver, it's honestly either buying another fun car, or just making mine more fun having more power. The only reason I'm not completely set on spending all the coin to get more power is, because I think it would be nice to have another fun/fast car instead, especially to keep the miles lower on both.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anything can happeon on the streets.

GTS Viper=11.9 at 120 mph car when well driven

2011 TT=10.9 at 125 mph car when well driven

Dont know how this happenned but it is what it is and thanks for shareing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member