Exhaust Drone Solution and Custom Exhaust Sound Video

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I was debating about putting this on the exhaust thread but figured that thread has become pretty long and this solution may just get lost in the shuffle. I have a 97 GTS. My exhaust set up has stock headers, roes 3 inch hi flow cats, 3 inch Dynomax 24222 side sill race mufflers and rear muffler deletes. The exhaust tubes from the muffler back is the stock diameter, very little performance increase will be realized with a 3 inch cat back set up on a NA viper with stock headers IMO.

We just had a dyno day and mine was said be the loudest and meanest (by one of the members) however KNG SNKE was there with his roe SC viper with modified exhaust and I think its really is a flip of a coin as to whos is the loudest/meanest. Its to be expected with my set up that drone would be present....well it was and I was ok with it, it was a trade off with having a loud bad ass sounding viper for cheap money. Sure you can buy the very nice but expensive Corsa and eliminate drone however my set up is so cheap and sounds much better/aggressive IMO, that is if you are looking for the "dont F with my viper" sound. In a past life I built high end custom car sound systems costing upwards of 30K+. I was introduced to the Dynamat Xtreme sound deadening material and it worked wonders for keeping in the sound and keeping out road noise. I'm in the process of upgrading my sound system (again) and had to take out some of my rear panels so while I was in there I applied the Dynamat Xtreme sheets to the the "rear tube" and the surrounding area. Its definitely a DIY job.

I notice the rear tub is flimsy fiberglass. I put light presser with my finger on that tub floor area under the spare tire and was shocked at how much it flexed and how thin it was. I did one layer of the Xtreame sheets and the rear surrounding area, The areas I'm talking about is the vent areas, the rear wall where the gas tank is behind and rear speaker enclosure, (I avoided the area with the rubber grommets to access the rear tail lights, the plastic in that area was thick and did not flex). The bottom of the tub where it flexed the most received 2 layers as well as the floor area in the vent space.

The result is 90% of the drone GONE!!!! and the remaining 10% is not harsh at all.

Cost:
Dyomax 24222 $55 each X2 $110
Dynamat Xtreme $80

So now I have one of the insanest sounding cat back exhaust systems with almost no drone for the cost of $190 :headbang:

Courtesy of KNG SNKE: Mine is the solid red GTS (As always sounds better in person)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-a_qY5GjIA&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, I may have to pick some up. Got any pics of where you applied it all?

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wish I did, I forgot my phone a work yesterday so no pictures yet, i just put the carpet sections back down but I will pull it up again to take some pictures...so stay tuned

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, When I was installing the dynamat I did not have my phone with me to take pictures and before stopping for the day I reinstalled the carpet, speakers, most of the interior pieces, amp bracket and spare tire. I was going to bite the bullet and pull everything out again to take pictures for this thread but yesterday I needed to make progress on my car and moved forward, I have been tight for time and falling behind on the progress of my viper, I still have tons of parts sitting in boxes needing to be installed. I could not take a step back so unfortunately there will be no photos. This is a super easy install and if anyone needs help with applying the sheets or other questions I would be happy to help....just ask :D

Last edited:

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where did you buy the Dynamat Xtreme sound deadening material, part #?

no pics, could you explain better about where you applied it in the quarter panels & the speaker area's?

thanks.

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just spent the day putting Dynamat Xtreme in the back of my '97 GTS, didn't work at all.....:(

looks like it's either ear plugs or cats now for me....... :rolleyes:

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just spent the day putting Dynamat Xtreme in the back of my '97 GTS, didn't work at all.....:(

looks like it's either ear plugs or cats now for me....... :rolleyes:

I just got some of that Dynamat Extreme material for my GTS, and you are saying that it didn't work? Ugh! What type of exhaust are you running?

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got some of that Dynamat Extreme material for my GTS, and you are saying that it didn't work? Ugh! What type of exhaust are you running?

well, i finally got my full 3" exhaust right, good low rumble & nominal cabin drone:

YouTube - '97 GTS full 3 inch exhaust.MOV

i used belanger headers, no cats, 4 magnaflows in the sills & 2 more magnaflows where the rear muffler use to be with an "H" pipe...

in the sills are:
MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER 4" X 4"X 14", 3.00" ID 14419

outback:
MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER 5" ROUND 14" BODY 3.0" C/C 12867
now i must say that i did the above exhaust work & it definitely cut the drone easily in half, but the dynamat did nothing.......

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what type of dynamat did you use, did you cover every inch on flimsy area in the tub and did you use multiple layers? i can assure you my drone is almost gone

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
now i must say that i did the above exhaust work & it definitely cut the drone easily in half, but the dynamat did nothing.......

also if you already did drone reduction mode on your exhaust you may not notice that big of a reduction in drone, also you commented on ear plugs or cats, the dynamat will reduce drone but will not eliminate loudness, drone is a bass residence noise that is very annoying and that is what it reduces

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

i was able to snap this picture the other day, there is also a layer of dynamat behind the carpet where the amp mounts, you will notice a small shinny piece near the amp rack stud

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what type of dynamat did you use, did you cover every inch on flimsy area in the tub and did you use multiple layers? i can assure you my drone is almost gone

Dynamat Extreme, put it down just like you described in your first post........ no reduction in drone, and yes - i know what drone is........ i'm glad it worked for you, just doesn't work for everyone i guess.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool video, great music! But....I wanted to hear your exhaust but it was hard to hear over the music. Do you have any clips of just your exhaust? I'm debating taking out my (dumb) resonators and replacing with just straight pipe...hence, normal muffler delete pipe. That would be closer to your current setup.

Thanks!

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool video, great music! But....I wanted to hear your exhaust but it was hard to hear over the music. Do you have any clips of just your exhaust? I'm debating taking out my (dumb) resonators and replacing with just straight pipe...hence, normal muffler delete pipe. That would be closer to your current setup.

Thanks!

I dont but kng snke does, hes the one that has the original video...I'm sure he can get you some clips

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your PM has the links to the videos. You can also view my you tube videos if you double click the dyno day vid and find his car.

I run M&M headers, catless, 3 inch corsa back on a Roe 5lb car. It definitely sounds mean. Little bit of backfiring, lot of stink, LOADS of good sound.

I am not sure of Johnnys setup but from the rear it looked stock with the exception of a monstrous roar. It sounded great.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper