Dyno Result Help

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok everyone, i need some help as this is an area I have much to learn in. I have a 97 GTS, 33K miles, Recent Hi Flow filters, Smooth Tube, New AB Wires, New spark plugs with proper gap, roe high flow cats, dynamat bullet mufflers and rear muffler deletes

I purchased a SCT tuner with a custom tune. The H/P. TQ results were pretty much the same as stock. Stock is in Red, Aftermarket tune Green. My stock tune seems to start off pretty lean then transition to a tad rich at the end. The aftermarket tune seems to have great A/F but I was told to shut it down by the dyno operator around 5700RPM due to pinging....What gives? I was told the aftermarket tune had no adjustment to the timing, what would cause the pinging if the stock program does not ping, why the lack of performance increase with a custom tune? The custom tune is set for 93 Oct and thats what I feed my viper

You must be registered for see images attach

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would call Your tuner and ask them these questions. Hopfully you ordered from someone who actually does this stuff and has experience like DC/ViperSpecialty/ROE. Not some middleman

I had a similar experience to you with my SCT tune. Dont expect much powerwize. Even a custom tune will only get you around 5-10hp
Base tunes from Both ROE & DC pinged on my motor. I purchased my SCT(roe) used form a forum member that had the same year and mods as me. After doing one pull and hearing a slight ping i called ROE & DC Performance to talk about a custom tune. DC was my pick as Chris was the most willing to work with me via emailing back and fourth tunes while on the dyno and not charging me anything ridiculous.

goodluck

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plugs/wires old ?

good advice on calling the tuner

nope, new ab wires and plugs with the proper gap.......I will say this and nothing more :) its not from a middleman but a well know vendor that has been helpful and working with me but the product did not produce the claimed power gains

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm just aggravated that I keep ******* away money on dynos on retesting with no gains, when its positioned to have great gains and no pinging out of the box

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hard for me to see but it doesnt look too lean to me. but im no expert. send the run file to the tuner, see what he says.

or id call doug levin and see what he thinks, he is pretty dang helpful

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't look lean at all to me. It slopes nicely down to 11.5 if I'm reading it correctly. Who's tune is it?

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my armchair...hard to tell. Sheet looks pretty good. Usually these engine love a bit more timing and on a N/A motor around 12.5 AFR. I wonder what your timing was from around 4-6K RPM? Your torque should be 40-50 ft/lbs above the stock tune all things being equal. Got some bad gas maybe? 10% ethanol mix vs 100% gas? Makes a difference.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
around here 93 10% ethanol is the norm, it was fresh gas and was running smooth and normal so I would rule out bad gas, the dyno operator suggested retarding or advancing the timing because of the pinging....I am done with tunes seems to be not for me....but I do want to make sure my factory tune a/f ratio is not going to harm my engine as its lean

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lean at initial WOT is to be expected since your engine is transitioning from Closed (14.7 AFR) to Open Loop and it take a couple of potatoes for the WOT fuel map to take over (at least to register on the dyno A/F meter). You don't want a huge rich spike but a nice slope as RPM, load, and timing all interact. It seems you are there already IMO. Also remember the engine was originally factory tuned prior to 10% ethanol blended gas...so it will naturally be a bit more lean in WOT vs what it was engineeered to be. Stock the Viper is rich above 4.5K to redline for several reasons...not related to making the most power however. Guess where the engine lives on the track most of the time and you can see why the factory has things rich at those key intervals. Your HP and TQ look right where they should be for your mods. You might just have a strong factory motor that tuning cannot extract anything more out of. What plugs are you running by the way? RC12ECC's I hope>>>

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see your HP raising again. I can tell you with smooth tubes, k&n, catless, corsa and a VEC NA tune I put down 425whp. I don't think the VEC NA tune did much and it was relatively hot that day.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see your HP raising again. I can tell you with smooth tubes, k&n, catless, corsa and a VEC NA tune I put down 425whp. I don't think the VEC NA tune did much and it was relatively hot that day.

yea I'm glad I'm "back in effect" Nearly 440HP I'm pretty happy with that on a stock tune and some bolt ons

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that is pretty much the same exact thing that happened to me last May when I went to that Dyno place. I only did two runs, the first time they told me to shut it off around 5700rpm and the second time around 5200 because my engine was also pinging.

Ok everyone, i need some help as this is an area I have much to learn in. I have a 97 GTS, 33K miles, Recent Hi Flow filters, Smooth Tube, New AB Wires, New spark plugs with proper gap, roe high flow cats, dynamat bullet mufflers and rear muffler deletes

I purchased a SCT tuner with a custom tune. The H/P. TQ results were pretty much the same as stock. Stock is in Red, Aftermarket tune Green. My stock tune seems to start off pretty lean then transition to a tad rich at the end. The aftermarket tune seems to have great A/F but I was told to shut it down by the dyno operator around 5700RPM due to pinging....What gives? I was told the aftermarket tune had no adjustment to the timing, what would cause the pinging if the stock program does not ping, why the lack of performance increase with a custom tune? The custom tune is set for 93 Oct and thats what I feed my viper

You must be registered for see images attach

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO the tuner and the dyno operator should be the same person. Every car is a bit different, and certainly once the mods start I believe that the tune is best written by iterative testing on a loading (e.g. Mustang) dyno. And I think that's absolutely necessary when adding FI to a car.

Not that you can't successfully run canned or mail-order tunes... I know lots of people are, without issue.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is some good info from my SCT results about a year ago.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...s-on-my-1998-GTS.?highlight=Frog+SCT+ART+dyno

David Weaver and the team from ART took care of the tune and did a great job. I wouldn't expect much HP from a tune on a "near stock" application. I know it's frustrating spending cash and not seeing much power in return, but these motors require alot of money and big mods to REALLY get going. The SCT should allow you to tune the car later with future mods, although you may not see many gains with basic mods at the moment.