can anyone help me with heat problem. 2008

c65491

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok here is my problem..

my car is an 2008 coupe.

i have this heat coming from the driver side exauhst. i drove the car for almost 10 hours and it is soo hot . the heat comes inside while im driving.

is there any solution.

thanks

OP
OP
C

c65491

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i know they are hot

, but its only one side. the driver side. is there any thing to do so i can reduce the heat temp.. heat wrap on the exauhst maybe?
its my first viper.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Point the AC towards the driver's side and it should fix the problem.

Not sure about 08s but my 06 has the crossover exhaust and is known for causing a lot of cabin heat. Swapping to a true side exhaust helps.

VprFangs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a newbie. Not an owner yet. And no expert. But driving the car for 10hrs especially,those side exhausts will be giving off a heck of alot of heat. Regardless of the changes made to the Gen IV's. Do you have the a/c on recirculate?

VprFangs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it's only affecting the drivers side,i get it looked at asap before anything else. Sorry i didn't take that into account before. Must be getting old!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
2008 has NO crossover. How many MILES on the car?

CATS DO NOT PLUG THEMSELVES......neither does your toilet. Its a passive tube. SOMETHING plugs it, and unburned fuel is the usual culprit, and could be clogging-overheating one cat.

IF only the driver side-sill is Super-Hot, you likely have an unburned fuel issue in that cylinder bank...maybe a bad wire or plug or fuel injector or coil. Lots of Miles? Normally that would throw a CEL code too.

If in fact BOTH sides are equally hot, you can cool off a LOT with HF cats and HF Exhaust, like a Corsa or Belanger

Last edited:

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to go off topic too much, but do high flow cats pass california smog? I just bought a new magnaflow catback and want to upgrade to squeeze more hp out. California smog requires a carb stamp.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not to go off topic too much, but do high flow cats pass california smog? I just bought a new magnaflow catback and want to upgrade to squeeze more hp out. California smog requires a carb stamp.

The Year Matters

IF your inspection includes a visual inspection, you might not pass without some other documentation if vehicle isunder 5 years old. ie documentation of failed OE cats.

If you only get a plug-in, or sniff test, I can state that Random Tech cats will pass for stock and most modified motors.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your cats are fubared, if its stock= under federal law your cats r warranteed till 80 or 87k. somethin like that

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my 08 coupe (new to me!) for an hour last week and did not notice any heat issues. Door sills were warm, but far from burning hot. I was actually annoyed at how cool the AC was ;)

So how quickly did it heat up for you? Is the passenger side only warm?

If you had large amounts of unburnt fuel I'd expect a CEL. Is the inside of the side pipe sooty? both sides the same is sootiness? ( I'd expect a finger run around the inside of the cool side pipe to come out reasonable clean)

MVP auto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have your local viper repair shop inspect your car. They may use a laser therometer to check the difference from side to side. Thus determining
if their is a problem on one side. At least it's a staring point.

Mike

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
mine has 9k on it.

9k miles and 3 years is NOT normally plugs or wires.....that can show up at 12k-15k earliest.

But stranger things have happened..... an over-zealous engine-bay cleaning? Did it ever overheat or over-rev?

08s are N-O-T-O-R-I-O-U-S for being the most trigger-happy at throwing a CEL for almost no reason at all. Are you QUITE certain (as a newbee) that what you are experiencing is NOT normal Viper catalyst heat? Can you take infra-red sill temps after a run than has you thinking the drivers side is "way hotter."

Automobile Mag once fried bacon and eggs on a Viper side sill! ......Come to think, it WAS the drivers side!

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Notorious? I have an 08 with almost 10K on it and I never have seen a code. This whole thread does not pass the goofy test to me. I agree that a problem affectiing a whole bank of the engine should clearly set a code but in this case no code is reported. It is hard to believe. I drove from New Hampshire to Detroit a couple of times and I did not experience excessive side exhaust heat after driving for hours between stops.