"Calling Gen 4 ACR Owners" for a prevention precaution tip. SRT Engineers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you own a Gen 4 ACR, especially one of the 09-10 and maybe even later 08s, this post is for you.

And IF some overworked volunteer moderator can please move this to the ENGINEERING CHAT that would be excellent too, thanks.

I dont mean to shout 'fire' but I think we need to be much more careful with our rear hatch / struts. LIFT AND CLOSE HATCH S-L-O-W-L-Y.

I know of 5 ACRs that have had their decklid Struts BLOW a hole in the rear C-pillar where that strut anchors. Mine is one of the 5. It aint pretty. One of the other cars is an ACR-X. ANYONE ELSE?? We have to take off the bodywork/roof to expose that riveted anchor, repair it (with stronger rivets too?) and repaint that inner area of the repair. Then, let it cure, and reattach the strut.

In the meantime, the entire hatch is shifted off-center held by only ONE strut...which it has been suggested that I remove due to the uneven pressure of having just one strut. And this can "twist" the rear glass..not good. So I have a hickory prop rod. Embarassing.

All because some of us are perhaps yanking the hatch open more quickly than the strut works...or closing the hatch more quickly than it works. Im ALWAYS in a rush at the track, and I have been forcing faster ups and downs. It has also been said that after 2008, or late 08, STRONGER STRUTS were used on Wing-equipped cars. Due to the weight of the aero, and 'falling-closing decks" if deck was open during in any breeze at all, it would fall shut. Engineers?

I have been told that the "weaker" 2008 struts may not casue this problem, and maybe I should even replace mine to the weaker 06-08 struts. Engineers?

I have also been told that the fast UP-cycle is probably the one pulling and weakening the anchor...and the down cycle may not be the worst strain. Engineers?

In any case, my only hint or symptom was a "pop" sound as I closed the hatch last week. Startled, I cycled the hatch again, but slowly....a slightly LOUDER pop on the down cycle. I drove home 40 miles, and went to unload. When I raised the hatch quickly (I had forgotten the issue) It went POW on the UP cycle...and the LEFT strut was now hanging flacid and lifeless, broken body anchor piece attached.....but in great danger of damaging other painted areas and parts. I lowered the hatch onto a towel, got a small screwdriver, and rasied and propped it up again (no pop!) and removed the strut.

So, I only had 3 'warning signs' before it blew a hole in the painted anchored bodywork.

I am now 'interviewing' possible dealers to do my warantee repair...... my 50+ year Dodge dealer was closed by cerberpus.

My Advice: EXAMINE THE SEAMS BETWEEN DECK AND QUARTER. EVEN? EXAMINE THE GLASS-TO-ROOF SEAMS. EVEN?

And for the rest of your life, be patient as you raise and lower your HEAVY AERO-EQUIPPED ACR Decklids...

PS I know a LOT of us have also broken our outside hatch-release mechanism as well....eggshell fragile!

JonB~~~~:<~

Last edited:

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB,
I am very sorry to hear about this problem generally and yours in particular. As an ACR owner, I will check immediately to see if I have any sort of problem with the hatch and will certainly heed your advice in the future. The hatch is rather heavy due to the wing and i usually lift mine slowly but tend to close it quickly to make sure it latches.
I hope your repair goes smoothly and is done relatively quickly as I am sure your limited with a temporary strut.
Thanks for your input Jon.
PAVenomRT10
09 ACR
2000 RT10

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 coupe that I have to slam the hatch shut to get it to latch. Car is fairly new with 200 miles on it--sure don't want to blow a hole in the body work. Do you have a picture of the body damage?? I'm going to look at the latch mechanism to see if I can adjust the latch to prevent having to slam the the hatch to get it to lock. Any ideas on any adjustment. Pass door also has to be slammed hard to get it to latch closed. I e-mailed John Gastman at Roanoke where I got the car for help in the latch adjustments but no answer at this point. Thanks so much for the info---Dave

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah I want to let some dealer take a wack at fixing that....NOT.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 2010 coupe that I have to slam the hatch shut to get it to latch. Car is fairly new with 200 miles on it--sure don't want to blow a hole in the body work. Do you have a picture of the body damage?? I'm going to look at the latch mechanism to see if I can adjust the latch to prevent having to slam the the hatch to get it to lock. Any ideas on any adjustment. Pass door also has to be slammed hard to get it to latch closed. I e-mailed John Gastman at Roanoke where I got the car for help in the latch adjustments but no answer at this point. Thanks so much for the info---Dave

The outside of the body was not damaged....just a hole in the INNER rear of the C-pillar. But a flapping strut COULD have been "pinched" between glass and body had I not immediately noticed it. COuld result in much worse mayhem....

I dont know how to post pix......Ill see if Chad can post for me....Thanks Chad

67PLY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks just like the damage done to my car as well. Thankfully, it is hard to see with the strut in place, and after some touch-up paint.

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks Jon B for the tips ..if you find a weaker set of struts that can help this problem ,let me know please. good luck fixing it !

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So an '09 Coupe with an aero wing won't have this problem because it has weaker struts?

FACTORY Aero packages ACR and ARY, received stronger struts in mid 08 onward. STRONGER STRUTS HAVE PINK LETTERING.
IF my ASSumption is correct, these stronger "Heavy Duty" struts may be overpowering the standard rivets in my opinion. I also belive the lower-pressure struts had BLUE lettering.

I hope SRt Engineers reply on this issue 6/21

WALKER: I KNOW YOUR CAR. It was a DEVON COUPE. UNIQUE. The Aero was added AFTER it was built as a Non-Aero, so you "probably" have OE Coupe struts.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone--The pics were most helpful as well as the suggestion to have a window or door open when closing the hatch. The related thread on the fix was very important to know. The VCA is the best. Thanks again to Jon B for the heads up on the problem. It was nice to meet you Jon at Sebring last May--Dave

RedFang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All: Thanks JonB for your post. I read the previous post (orange photo) when my driver's side rivit blew. Before I knew I had a problem, the entire hardware started moving up creating an entire new hole! As previously mentioned, when fixed, this hole is not visible. I followed the instructions and so far, have been lucky. I too now only open the rear hatch when necessary. My car is a 2008 ACR delivered in September, an evening I will never forget.

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this very important information Jon B!! I will be much more careful in the future when opening/closing my hatch.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what I've heard back from engineering. The struts on the ACR are firmer due to the added weight of the wing. The adhesive is actually what bears the load not the rivets. The suggestion that I got was to disconnect the strut, drill out the rivets and check the integrity of the adhesive. Not real sure how you do this other than after drilling out the rivets pull on the bracket and see if it comes loose. If the adhesive appears to have integrity, reinstall rivets and don't worry. Otherwise the bracket needs to be resecured with adhesive. If the adhesive has failed to hold the rivets are insufficient to keep the bracket in place.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guess I'll just have to duck and hope my hatch doesn't come down on my poor head.

Walker: Your '09 Coupe has BLUE letters on the struts, the standard pressure struts for non-aero. Heavy-Duty-Aero Struts have pink letters.

The only "Issues" with these struts that I have seen are on ACRs........and those on the LEFT SIDE Strut....Coincidence? Why would THAT adhesive fail, and not right side? There must be something about the mounting geometry that forces more load on the left strut?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walker: Your '09 Coupe has BLUE letters on the struts, the standard pressure struts for non-aero. Heavy-Duty-Aero Struts have pink letters.

The only "Issues" with these struts that I have seen are on ACRs........and those on the LEFT SIDE Strut....Coincidence? Why would THAT adhesive fail, and not right side? There must be something about the mounting geometry that forces more load on the left strut?

Maybe there was a different worker installing the left side.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here is what 67PLY posted on the other thread. ADHESIVE related. I sent links to both these threads to SRT back on 6/15. JonB~~~~:<~
------------

OK, got an update. Had the car about 1 1/2 year....... rivets broke on driver side mount for lift support on the body. I went to the body shop for advise on repair. The guys looked at the bracket and noticed that all of the adhesive came off on the metal bracket, and none had stuck to the body of the car, meaning that there was little or no prep work to the body ( sanding or scuffing ) plus the type of adhesive they saw on the bracket was not a very strong one to begin with.So they proceded to grind off the old adhesive on the bracket, and use 80 grit sandpaper to rough up the mating surface on the body. With new rivets ready, they used a product made for gluing body panels together on high end autos, made by 3M , forgot the name, and we glued and riveted the bracket back on. I was told to let it set for at least 24 hours, then re install the supports. Well this worked great for 1 more week, then the one on the passenger side did the same thing. Seems as though the adhesive turns loose, then the rivets fail. I'm going today to get the other one re installed. I'm not sure why this is happening after only a little over a year, unless temperature, or the number of times the hatch is opened or what. I wash my car pretty often, and I open the hatch every time to wipe down everything, plus I've got my bag of detail products in the back as well. I took some pics of the bracket this time , and you can see that the adhesive is stuck to the metal bracket fine, but the surface that was stuck to the body is smooth, so it did not adhere very well. I hope this prepares the rest of you guys for what seems to be a common occurance.
Later,
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21