How many miles should a brand new Viper have?

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
LOL you are a class act, you got me there for sure partner... I am SOOOOO arrogant and worthless thanks for pointing that out. :rolleyes:

Oh and BTW who said anything about our good friends at Ringgold or Tomball? I'm sure if you asked them about me they would just bash the hell out of me or this company?

But after reading some of your other classy posts I bet you will have another trite little comment for all of us to ponder huh Shooter? :2tu: Now I will take my arrogant comments and go to the corner and pout.

Hmm, I didn't call you worthless..you did. I'm sorry you feel that way about yourself. Trite enough for ya?

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shoorter,
Not sure why you are giving Mark a hard time? When I bought my ACR from Woodhouse last year, it arrived with a complementary full tank of gas. As Mark said, the dealer has to drive it to the gas station to do this and while at it, will make sure all is well with the vehicle so that the customer gets what they are expecting and paying for.
Woodhouse is a very reputable Viper dealership and both Mark and Bill P. are frequent contributors to this site. Why give them a hard time?
PAVenomRT/10

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Shoorter,
Not sure why you are giving Mark a hard time? When I bought my ACR from Woodhouse last year, it arrived with a complementary full tank of gas. As Mark said, the dealer has to drive it to the gas station to do this and while at it, will make sure all is well with the vehicle so that the customer gets what they are expecting and paying for.
Woodhouse is a very reputable Viper dealership and both Mark and Bill P. are frequent contributors to this site. Why give them a hard time?
PAVenomRT/10

Most people would prefer the dealer not add miles to the cars before sale. Some, like yourself are ok with it. It is important to me, and also to my buddy who is going to buy a new Viper ACR, that a new $100k+ car have minimum mileage. So far my favorite quote was by Jon."Thanks, but I don't need some quasi-Viper tech taking a joy ride in my 100K car to "check" things out for 5-10 miles." Pretty well sums things up as far as I'm concerned.

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a point and no one wants miles on their car that they did not put when buying it new. When you look and in the PDI was done and parts were changed it is hard to get upset about the millage. That should not be the determining factor in buying a car. I will also say that all of the folks at woodhouse do a great JOB. Mark even called the dealer working on my 08 to help out with the problem and they did not sell me a car.

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Absolutely not, considering what it takes just to get one released from the "Vault".........

Exactly. Looks like all the new Vipers at his dealership have 4-6 miles on them unless tested by SRT.:2tu:

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will never understand why the simplest thread here can end up in *** shots.

We can agree or disagree whether a dealer should do a final once over on a Viper (although I guess they do need to fuel it) but I seriously doubt Mark or my Viper tech, having ridden in hundreds of Vipers and other high performance cars seriously considers the event a "joy ride" at this point.

cobrapilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL you are a class act, you got me there for sure partner... I am SOOOOO arrogant and worthless thanks for pointing that out. :rolleyes:

Oh and BTW who said anything about our good friends at Ringgold or Tomball? I'm sure if you asked them about me they would just bash the hell out of me or this company?

But after reading some of your other classy posts I bet you will have another trite little comment for all of us to ponder huh Shooter? :2tu: Now I will take my arrogant comments and go to the corner and pout.

Mark, you are a bad dog! lol :)

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most new ones have 4 miles on them from the plant and the chassis machine they test the cars on. All 3 of my new ones had 4 miles on them and I would not buy one with more than 10. You never know who or if they ran the piss out of it while not broken in obviously.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would seem logical that any "new" car with more than 10-15 miles or so has been taken out for some demo rides.
It would also be logical to assume that those demo rides included some spirited driving to get a "feel" for the acceleration etc.
Not exactly what I would want on my new engine, especially since the manufacturer has explicit break in instructions.
A new car with 50+ miles on it is a used car.

But that's me.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It would seem logical that any "new" car with more than 10-15 miles or so has been taken out for some demo rides.
It would also be logical to assume that those demo rides included some spirited driving to get a "feel" for the acceleration etc.
Not exactly what I would want on my new engine, especially since the manufacturer has explicit break in instructions.
A new car with 50+ miles on it is a used car.

But that's me.

Whether it has 4 miles or 20 miles, once you buy it, it's a used car....

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GT2 had 25 miles on it when I picked it up at CAAP. That didn't bother me as much as the dirt splashed on the passenger side fender from, perhaps, a puddle.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both of my Vipers were "driven" before they left Mack or CAAP and they have slips in the owner's manuals. My '96 had 25 miles at the conclusion of testing, while my 2000 has 6.

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Both of my Vipers were "driven" before they left Mack or CAAP and they have slips in the owner's manuals. My '96 had 25 miles at the conclusion of testing, while my 2000 has 6.

Sounds like the testing Mopar Boy was talking about, and the miles were documented by SRT. Much better then some lot jockey wheeling your car around.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I bought most of my Vipers sight unseen from Woodhouse, I would much rather have Mark or one of his qualified techs thoroughly check it out before it arrives than to have it arrive on my doorstep only to find out there is a problem that now I have to figure out which local dealer that has far less qualified techs try and figure it out. Not all of us live next door to our favorite dealer. When I have an issue that requires a Viper tech, I drive to Maryland to the nearest "qualified tech".....Mark drive on my friend

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest that you have whomever you buy one from to take a pic of the dash with the miles shown, and ask why there are more than 10 miles or so. To make a long story short, I bought a new '06 a few years back from a dealer that said it had 12 miles. But when it arrived at my house it had 93 miles, which would not have been too big of a deal if it did not have paint chips in the wheel well edges. Needless to say I refused it and the driver took it back.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest that you have whomever you buy one from to take a pic of the dash with the miles shown, and ask why there are more than 10 miles or so. To make a long story short, I bought a new '06 a few years back from a dealer that said it had 12 miles. But when it arrived at my house it had 93 miles, which would not have been too big of a deal if it did not have paint chips in the wheel well edges. Needless to say I refused it and the driver took it back.

I can understand a comment like this where a car has been damaged by some driving not necessary to deliver the car. But the cars are meant to be driven. Vipers will probably not get an increase in value from not being driven and if I am going to spend $100,000, I want it to be right. My local dealer has probably never seen a Viper besides mine and I sure don't think they have a Viper tech so they aren't going to see mine for service. If I can't do it myself, I'll take it to someone who can. But the whole debate about having more than 4 miles on a car is just stupid. If it takes 10 miles to get a car right to deliver it, then it takes 10 miles. Unless the car is damaged during this time, why does it matter?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand a comment like this where a car has been damaged by some driving not necessary to deliver the car. But the cars are meant to be driven. Vipers will probably not get an increase in value from not being driven and if I am going to spend $100,000, I want it to be right. My local dealer has probably never seen a Viper besides mine and I sure don't think they have a Viper tech so they aren't going to see mine for service. If I can't do it myself, I'll take it to someone who can. But the whole debate about having more than 4 miles on a car is just stupid. If it takes 10 miles to get a car right to deliver it, then it takes 10 miles. Unless the car is damaged during this time, why does it matter?

Ten miles? Wouldn't matter.
But how about 50 miles? 75 miles? 75 miles of up to red line spurts on a "new" engine you paid 100K for.
Breakin' it in for you.

Sorry, it matters.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ten miles? Wouldn't matter.
But how about 50 miles? 75 miles? 75 miles of up to red line spurts on a "new" engine you paid 100K for.
Breakin' it in for you.

Sorry, it matters.

If you are that worried about buying a car from someone you don't trust to put enough miles on it to be sure it is OK, then you should buy a car from someone else. That's what matters not how many miles a reputable dealer puts on it. I can see everyone's point about miles of abuse but the dealers mentioned didn't sell more Vipers than anyone else because they abused cars or customers. Plenty of us have bought used Vipers that probably were used like we use our cars. Mine had 11.000 miles when I bought it and new rear tires. What does that tell you? I don't think many little old ladies drive Vipers but apparently plenty of little old "ladies" (and I don't mean this in a sexist manner) worry about the dealers they buy cars from.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anything over 50 miles, u no its had at some point a ******* behind the wheel

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are that worried about buying a car from someone you don't trust to put enough miles on it to be sure it is OK, then you should buy a car from someone else. That's what matters not how many miles a reputable dealer puts on it. I can see everyone's point about miles of abuse but the dealers mentioned didn't sell more Vipers than anyone else because they abused cars or customers. Plenty of us have bought used Vipers that probably were used like we use our cars. Mine had 11.000 miles when I bought it and new rear tires. What does that tell you? I don't think many little old ladies drive Vipers but apparently plenty of little old "ladies" (and I don't mean this in a sexist manner) worry about the dealers they buy cars from.

Noob-
Who is talking about your used car with 11K on it?
Are you serious?
No one is talking about used cars here, you buy used you take your chances.
Plunk down 100K on a NEW car and see if you feel the same way.
Try and keep up with the thread.

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Plunk down 100K on a NEW car and see if you feel the same way.

To me it's more a matter of respect for your potential or return customer's. I ordered a GCSRT8 back in 06. When it showed up, it had 7 miles on it. That is the max any new vehicle should have unless it is pulled from the line and tested IMO. Sure, the Jeep was only $43k new, but it was my $43k. And, like our Vipers, it required a special break in regime. I prefer to be the one that does that, not some lot jockey.

PS: I saw your twin yesterday ViperJon. You made a good choice.:2tu:

Attachments

• 2010 VJ.jpg
    2010 VJ.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 35

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks shooter really looking forward to it, regrettably getting ****** around a bit with transport.
Pretty aggressive looking..:D

It's a keeper:)

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks shooter really looking forward to it, regrettably getting ****** around a bit with transport.
Pretty aggressive looking..:D

It's a keeper:)

Sorry to hear that Passport is jerking you around. When I bought my 09 from Ringgold, they arranged the shipping, and the driver called me with updates. He was actually 5 min earlier then his ETA.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anything over 50 miles, u no its had at some point a ******* behind the wheel

^Yep.

You buy a new car, you should receive a new car with less than 10 miles on it. If it shows up with 93 miles its a used car and you should be paying a used car price.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about later GEN's, but one out of every X (don't remember ratio) GENII's engines were run on an engine dyno for a significant duration before installation. Many felt that was an advantage and wanted those engines in their cars. Probably the equivalent of 50+ miles. Doubt they followed a by the book break in profile.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the new ACR on Sunday night.
By the way, it had 6 miles on it....:D