How many miles should a brand new Viper have?

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is looking at buying a new (09 or 10) Viper ACR. He asked me how many miles should be on a new Viper when you get it from the dealer. I don't know the answer. I know my car had 4 miles on it when unloaded outside my house. I also have seen a certificate from SRT with total miles added if they tested your car before it left CAAP. Looks like Bernie/Tomball new Vipers have about 4 miles also. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Robert

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I think for new cars in general, under 20 is suppose to be the goal.

Maybe for regular cars, but I'm thinking Vipers are different as prospective buyer test drives at the dealer are rare.

T JUNKIE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine had 6 miles on it. The dealer told me it was pushed out of the showroom and cranked several times, but never driven.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine had 13 miles on the odometer but the local dealer put on a "bunch" when they used it in the 130th Anniversary Ogallala, Nebraska town parade lap. Ha! Ha! True story! I am totally okay with those extra miles. :) Gives it some character.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I care if it is 4 or 40 or 400. The car is still new until first registered and the small number of miles on it when new is irrelevant. Ok maybe 400 is too many but you get my drift.

SSGSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine had 7 miles and I drove it from the Reliable Carrier into the dealers shown room, Storage for the weekend then back into the trailer that I took it home in.

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers. Sounds like 4 to 7 is normal. What about extra miles put on by the dealer.? Apparently my buddy talked with a dealer and was told that it was normal for the dealer to put 6-10 miles on the Viper's to "check them out" prior to selling?. That sounds suspect to me.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MIne had 4 miles on it. I had an 07 Charger SRT8 that had 1 mile on it when i took ownership of it.

Bruce

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think Tomball is letting anybody who walks in the door take a new Viper for a spin.
Or any dealer for that matter.

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My ACR had 4 miles on it, also. Still had the plastic wrap on the wheel and the gear shift. They want the owner to remove it.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4-5 is about right. At CAAP they go on the hot chassis dyno so they can run it up through the gears to highway speed and check for vibrations and sounds....

If they had something that was not right, they pull it, fix it, back on. Now at 8-10.

Now add in 1-2 miles for on off transport.

Also add up to 20 miles for cars that went through audit. There are random cars puleld and driven around the block by one lucky bugger, er I mean Craftsperson :D, at CAAP and this serves as a real life quality test to ensire there is no rattles, drive issues, etc.

Reaction score
We do a proper PDI that includes a full warm up and a short less then 5 mile drive, we only have our Viper Techs do the driving NEVER lot people or sales people. If your car has 4 or less miles I would be willing to bet this was not done and the dealer still gets paid for the work. Also dealers do not have (that I know of) a gas station to fill your new Viper with fuel do they? so that is done during the PDI.

We have helped many many "non customers" remedy things on brand new cars that have issues that were never caught at the dealer level because of this very reason. If your buying from a reputable Viper dealer this is the way things should work and you should not be worried about the car being "test drove" by anyone, but a few extra miles to make sure your new Viper is delivered trouble free is worth it IMHO.

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers. Sounds like 4 to 7 is normal. What about extra miles put on by the dealer.? Apparently my buddy talked with a dealer and was told that it was normal for the dealer to put 6-10 miles on the Viper's to "check them out" prior to selling?. That sounds suspect to me.

Most reputable Viper dealers do not allow demo drives and they definitely don't drive them 6-10 miles to check them out. If a dealer has a new Viper in stock that has over 8-10 miles on it, I'm pretty sure somebody has been taking the car on a demo drive.

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
We do a proper PDI that includes a full warm up and a short less then 5 mile drive, we only have our Viper Techs do the driving NEVER lot people or sales people. If your car has 4 or less miles I would be willing to bet this was not done and the dealer still gets paid for the work. Also dealers do not have (that I know of) a gas station to fill your new Viper with fuel do they? so that is done during the PDI.

We have helped many many "non customers" remedy things on brand new cars that have issues that were never caught at the dealer level because of this very reason. If your buying from a reputable Viper dealer this is the way things should work and you should not be worried about the car being "test drove" by anyone, but a few extra miles to make sure your new Viper is delivered trouble free is worth it IMHO.

I guess that must mean that Ringgold Dodge where I bought my 09 from, or BJ Motors/Tomball Dodge, where I bought my 06 from, are not reputable Viper dealers then.? I mean what does Tomball know right. Bernie's probably sold more Viper's in the US then anyone. Oh and thanks for telling me what I should or should not be worried about when buying a $100,000+ Viper. Typical arrogance I've come to expect from your company.

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Most reputable Viper dealers do not allow demo drives and they definitely don't drive them 6-10 miles to check them out. If a dealer has a new Viper in stock that has over 8-10 miles on it, I'm pretty sure somebody has been taking the car on a demo drive.

I agree 100%

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 06 had 34miles my 08 had 26miles and 2010 had 30miles. When asked dealers about the miles all were linked to the pdi and resolving an issue or moving around the dealers lots.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, but I don't need some quasi-Viper tech taking a joy ride in my 100K car to "check" things out for 5-10 miles.
What's he going to do, quash the sale because he hears a funny noise?

Reaction score
I guess that must mean that Ringgold Dodge where I bought my 09 from, or BJ Motors/Tomball Dodge, where I bought my 06 from, are not reputable Viper dealers then.? I mean what does Tomball know right. Bernie's probably sold more Viper's in the US then anyone. Oh and thanks for telling me what I should or should not be worried about when buying a $100,000+ Viper. Typical arrogance I've come to expect from your company.

LOL you are a class act, you got me there for sure partner... I am SOOOOO arrogant and worthless thanks for pointing that out. :rolleyes:

Oh and BTW who said anything about our good friends at Ringgold or Tomball? I'm sure if you asked them about me they would just bash the hell out of me or this company?

But after reading some of your other classy posts I bet you will have another trite little comment for all of us to ponder huh Shooter? :2tu: Now I will take my arrogant comments and go to the corner and pout.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper