New Owner question about low mile cars

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a questions about Vipers with super low miles. Why do people buy this incredibly fun car and let it sit in the garage. I just got mine a month ago and am having a blast driving it. Does it get boring over time? Does it look better sitting in the garage not running? Im just curious from the people that have had one or many for years. Will the car loose value quickly with a few more miles on it? I love the beast and will drive it. I do have another car and a motorcycle.

-B

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Various reasons. From people I've talked to, it varies person to person. Some say it was too much power for them, so they only took it out on perfect weatther days for short rides. Others were afraid of it losing value with the mileage raising. Some didn't want to put any wear and tear or have to put a lot into properly maintaining a daily driver Viper. I have 25k on mine and while I don't want high miles, I also can't see myself looking at it in the garage and not being tempted to drive it.

TP_ GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some of the reasons I've encountered over the years with buying used low mile sports cars:

You have those that buy them because they like to have the hottest performance cars out at the time and only drive it on sundays, to car shows and or meetings.

Those as mentioned already, realize the car is just too much for them to drive and desire a more "Refined" sports car.

Those who buy them with all the intention of driving them however, depending on their lifestyle and where they live .. time is just not on their side. IE: Live Up North with only 4 months MAX of good weather, Family obligations, business obligations, other hobbies.

Then you have those who have so many other cars, that they all get a few miles here and there.

OR....> Some people still live at home with their parents and are not allowed to drive it! :lmao: I could not resist! :D

Either way, makes for a good situation for those who buy used :2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I lived at home my dad would take away the keys and drive it himself. Its nice to have a low mileage car. Im guessing if I drive it and put some miles on it then Ill have to keep it, since resale will be difficult. Im not rich and can only afford one sports car at a time, so Im going to drive it and enjoy the rock star status.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has low miles, I do drive it but not very far most times. It's very competent in the rain. We have other cars for long trips that aren't nearly as fun but they are bigger and more comfortable. Nothing against the Viper at all. Also we don't drive as much as we used to. I might consider it as a DD if I had a decent place to park. 06 coupe.

--FQB

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think people who buy a Viper can do whatever the hell they want with the car THEY paid for.
If the enjoy staring at in the garage so be it.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The '08 I just bought had 1,300 miles on it. You would think that is a rarity, but there were at least 3 others out there for sale at the time with <300 and plenty <3000. Anything for sale over 10k miles was high and rarer than <1000 market.

The previous owner of my '08 had multiple Vipers. I bet a fair number of low mileage Vipers are part of collections and fight for drive time. I have 6 vehicles, though most are not collectable, and choose the tool that works best for the task at hand. That does allow me to be choosy for when the Viper comes out to soak up some sun. I'm not comfortable getting caught in a storm with it, so a check of the forecast is in order. If I'm heading in a direction where traffic is a concern I probably don't want the hassles of stop and go with a Viper.

So I can understand lower mileage such as 1-2k a year.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the "drive the heck out of it camp". My ACR which I got in January has 7000 miles on it. My 06 has 25000. My 08 has 7000. The 03 I traded in had 25000. I love looking at them in the garage but I like driving them too.

Acr girl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive:Got my 01 end of April with 6300 miles and she now has over 9000 miles , what more can I say , she is no garage gueen any more and she and I are in heaven !!!:drive::drive:

challenger&viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bought My 09 viper mid April 2011 with 2200 miles, Drove from VA to CT 350 miles, sence then it was my daly use for 2 monthes.
Drove it once to NH for dyno day 320 miles trip.
Drove it to once E-Town drag way 250 miles trip.

now i Drive it Twice a week.

now it has 5200 miles.

Drive to enjoy !! do not just drive it like you drive any daily use car

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most folks who buy a Viper don't buy them to be their DD. The Viper is an over the top toy. They get driven when the owner feels like driving it unlike the DD which has to be driven. That equals lower (Viper) miles. There have been threads exploring this question before as well as surveys such as how many vehicles do Viper owners have. My remembrance is that the average Viper owner owns several cars in addition to their Viper (I'm thinking 5 or 6 but it's an old memory).

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have put more mile on my Viper in the last 3 months than the previous owner did in the first 12 years.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought mine, it had 25,000 on it, and I was planning on driving the hell out of it, so I didn't care (yes I have other cars). I've put almost 8,000 on it in a little over a year. I tend to find cars I like that are somewhat iconic and then just add another one when I feel like it and can afford it. I'm not the leat bit worried about resale, since mine won't be sold. If I add another Viper in the future, it will be a coupe to mainly use at track days, so my vert will always have a place in the garage. :)

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think that all the responses are valid for they reflect the differences in us all. The really neat thing is that a Viper is so cool-- its fun to drive,look at,and just own. What else can be such fun--also it's reasonably rare so it's always a car that gets it's share of attention. I might also say that this VCA club is the best national car club I've ever belonged to which just makes ownership that much better.--Dave

OP
OP
B

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Im going to drive the **** outta my car when the need fits. Screw the deperciation. This is real American muscle car. It just way too much fun. Like someone said its like having a hot girlfriend that you dont bang when she is sitting in the garage. Yep she is going to get a little wet in the winter, but it will dry off. Thanks for all the input guys. Im a lucky guy to own one in the first place. I dont have a stable, just one crazy car at a time and I appreciate it.

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my second viper (one at a time). Bought this 06 with 4048 miles, 7 months ago. Now has ~7000. I drive it 2-3 days a week a short distance to work on a quiet country road. I don't take it out when there is a 40-50% chance of rain/storms. I would rather deal with inclement weather in my 130,000+ mile mini-SUV. Getting my aging sagging frame (gravity can be so unkind) in and out can be a challenge, particularly after lunch... some days I just rather an easier ride.

Last edited:

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine had 3,400 on it when I purchased it a year ago, Oh its only a 2000. 11 years young. It now has about 9000 miles on it.
Drive it!!! It becomes to be driven.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a hobby or novelty car for most folks not unlike many other exotics. Nothing unusual as you'll find that insurance companies and motor vehicle agencies all have special programs for low mileage specialty cars.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never planned on daily driving my viper, but it's hard not too. I picked it up with 8000 miles and it now has over 12000 miles in just over a month.

I drove it 1800 miles from texas to calif. I have done a track day with it and it was 150 miles each way to thunderhill. If it wasn't for the terrible calif roads I would drive it even more. Car is awesome.

OP
OP
B

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to be driving my car quite a bit also. Im just having such a good time with it. I enjoy driving it and being seen in it. Classy car.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2003 Red Vert / Garage Queen :dunno:

Before: 7/17/10 2,074 miles. :usa:

You must be registered for see images attach

After: 7/17/11 8,000 miles :headbang:

First Hot Rod.... Damn I love this beast :drive: :usa: :drive:

:cool:

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very wet! The airport runway we were using to autocross was a lot of fun. Sometimes couldn't even see the cars running due to all the water displacement!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Very wet! The airport runway we were using to autocross was a lot of fun. Sometimes couldn't even see the cars running due to all the water displacement!

I betcha those were the PS2-equipped Vipers. They throw the most amazing roostertails......hate to follow one on track.....

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend that has 12 miles on a 92 snake. Another has 80,000 on a Ford GT which is unheard of. Which one do you think has had the most fun?

BTW, Jon, I have the original factory 19 year old tires on my 92. Periodic rotation is the key......

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend that has 12 miles on a 92 snake. Another has 80,000 on a Ford GT which is unheard of. Which one do you think has had the most fun?

BTW, Jon, I have the original factory 19 year old tires on my 92. Periodic rotation is the key......

Man, that Ford GT is probably only worth no more than 35k with those kind of miles ! (uh, if so, have your "friend" PM me)