Ever notice that Viper owners also own a Vette as well..

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, I know you're a GM guy, but the Dodge isn't the true enemy...but do you see yourself owning a FGT?

Yes, I'd like a Ford GT. Always have wanted one, but I tend to prefer owning numerous vehicles instead of one big fat $150K toy. Maybe when I get a spare $150K to play with ;)

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
lets face it, the 1992+ Vipers are almost like the 1965-1974 corvette big block era. Colors, options, shapes, massive HP, side pipes, bare minimums etc...... all the same exciting stuff.

The Viper took over where the corvette of the 60's left off.....

i own a 63' Sting Ray, and a 05 Viper. I love vintage vettes and modern Vipers. They have so much in common.

The new vettes only have the V8 engine and round tail lights to remotely show their heritage..... gone are the days of exciting body lines and too much horse power.

Viper could easily be mistaken as the vette of the future.

Viper is just a more exciting car then modern day vette.

The modern vettes are good, dont get me wrong... but they get lost in a parking lot of vipers!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The modern vettes are good, dont get me wrong... but they get lost in a parking lot of vipers!

Actually, it only takes one nicely customized Viper in a parking lot full of Corvettes to make the Corvettes disappear. Especially coupes with stripes, of any year. The non-stripe convertibles don't turn as many heads at a car show though, they are a bit too sedate by comparison to the coupe/GTS.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Corvette and also enjoy driving it. Truly not a viper but still a nice car and a nice ride. I also have a camry and a diesel dodge truck all have been good. I actually took out the Corvette last night to Infineon raceway Wed night drags to see what it would do. Not impressed but consistant. 13.80 @ 101 not far behing that was my Camry and then my 16 sec 3/4 ton Dodge diesel top speed 68 MPH (funny) but even more consistant. As for the Viper 11.55 @123MPH an animal in it's own right.

gofastr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be hard for Viper owners to believe, but my Corvette gets as much attention as the Viper.

You must be registered for see images attach

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, we have owned Corvettes (paddle-shifting coupe and Z06) and Vipers at the same time. We love all cars, and yeah, we also would go for a FGT!~! :)
~juli

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i believe it!

67 big block with sidepipes, bolt ons, black stinger...... stunning. Same for the Viper coupe with stripes.

Two massive horse power american classics decades apart but still look as good as they day the were designed!

Like i said before, the Viper took over where the corvette left off in 1972...

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Had 4 vettes in the past--still have an '84 with 9K on her, but when I bought my '05 Comm. Ed. Viper I really felt I had a special car. Bought a 2010 coupe to match the '05 and couldn't be happier. So tired of seeing so many vettes on the road especially here in Sarasota. The excessive number of vettes on the road has made the vette just another car--not a special one like the Viper. It's funny how the Vipers almost draw as much attention as my Cobra. The real deal is not the attention but the excellent performance of the car and the reliability IMO. My buddies with Ferrari's have so many maintainence issues that they look with envy at the Viper.--Dave

Hurley1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
owned 6 vette's in the past 3 years, and just bought my first viper a few months ago, I would love to own both at the same time.

Threesixes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guilty. I need something to drive to keep the miles off my precious viper and driving the daily commuter all the time (93 geo prism) is unacceptable so a 99 C5 is perfect.

Last edited:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I'd like a Ford GT. Always have wanted one, but I tend to prefer owning numerous vehicles instead of one big fat $150K toy. Maybe when I get a spare $150K to play with ;)

I know this post is a lil' old but thought I'd show a pic of my other baby. I had a Vette several years back, thought it was time to move on. Tony, I feel the same way about investing that much in just 1 super nice ride, when you can drive 2 very nice rides. Probably why I don't see myself plunking that much down on a New Viper!

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't owned a vette and never will after owning my Viper. I have driven my buddy's vette, that is plenty fast and modded, but it just feels lighter and less masculine. That's the best way I can put it. Looks wise, there is no comparison.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't owned a vette and never will after owning my Viper. I have driven my buddy's vette, that is plenty fast and modded, but it just feels lighter and less masculine. That's the best way I can put it. Looks wise, there is no comparison.

I came away with the same impression after test driving a C6 NA Zo6 with 650hp.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is because the Z06 is lighter. 3150 lbs vs 3400 lbs. Not sure what the problem is, I'd rather the Viper be lighter than the Z06.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Before I bought my 2000 RT in 2000 I restored a 1969 Vette, it was an L71 427/435 tri-power monster, she was an NCRS Top Flight point car and was my baby. I bought the Viper and tracked it constantly, I'd walk out to my garage and it was like "which one do I drive today"? More and more the Viper won out but the Vette is a classic Roadster and would be difficult to replace, I've been offered $60K for the "69.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is because the Z06 is lighter. 3150 lbs vs 3400 lbs. Not sure what the problem is, I'd rather the Viper be lighter than the Z06.

It wasn't curb weight it was the feel of the car. Steering, braking, clutching and a narrower power band. Don't get me wrong the Z was scarey fast too but it ain't no Viper. Kinda like comparing a GTS to a Daytona coupe I would imagine.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Before I bought my 2000 RT in 2000 I restored a 1969 Vette, it was an L71 427/435 tri-power monster, she was an NCRS Top Flight point car and was my baby. I bought the Viper and tracked it constantly, I'd walk out to my garage and it was like "which one do I drive today"? More and more the Viper won out but the Vette is a classic Roadster and would be difficult to replace, I've been offered $60K for the "69.

An early big block C3 would be my choice if I ever get one but even that car feels more like a road car and less like a race car.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An early big block C3 would be my choice if I ever get one but even that car feels more like a road car and less like a race car.

At 42 years old my C3 is definately not a race car but a road car, I got the biggest motor I could find, hell it has 460 lb. ft. of torque. The only other Vette I would consider is a '69 L-88 but there were only 116 built and who knows how many are left now. The cheapest coupe I can find now is $205,000, I'll keep looking, maybe I'll find a "barn" car, I know a guy that found a '68 L-88 vert that way.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This summer I bought a mint condition 84' Vette with only 32k miles for $5000. I gave it to my dad the next day.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My vette was a good car. Bought it new in 04 for 51k
Went to the track and ran 13.5 at 104 mph in the auto vette
Spent 1k on intake and cat delete and ran 13.3 at 106 mph
Spent $2600 on ls6 "z06" heads and cam and went 13.1 at 108
Spent $1500 on a more agressive 224/224 cam and went 12.8 at 111

At this point I was 56k deep into the car and only running high 12s. I decided i could continue down this road and spend another 5k on gears and torque converter r get a used viper.

Picked up a stock 1999 rt10 back in 06 and ran a 12.5 at 116 easily dusting the head and cammed vette and never looked back. Couple bolt ons and a tune and that same viper went 12.1 at 122 mph.

The z06 and zr1 are just vettes to me if that makes any sense

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This summer I bought a mint condition 84' Vette with only 32k miles for $5000. I gave it to my dad the next day.

I have to say that while the C4 Vettes were probably the low point of the brand in terms of appeal I see plenty of guys out on the weekend's enjoying open air motoring in these cars at a price that nowadays won't even get you a dependable first car for a new driver. They were a big improvement performance wise from the car they were putting out in 82.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave