2" seat lowering help needed

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a 2" seat lowering kit for the RT-10, it came without any instructions, Can any body provide me with some instructions or photos of how the are installed.
it looks like to me the bolts were shipped installed on the wrong side of the brackets or the brackets will have to be bent to lower the seat.
Any help would be appreciated and I have an auto cross this weekend and I need the helmet clearance.

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I guess you need to know if the longer shaft goes to the front of the seat and the shorter shaft to the rear of the seat?

Longer goes in the front, shorter in the back. They will bend as that aluminum bar is rather thin. Call JonB, surely he'll have instructions or get them for you.

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Longer goes in the front, shorter in the back. They will bend as that aluminum bar is rather thin. Call JonB, surely he'll have instructions or get them for you.

So you just mount he brackets to the seat and the floor and the seat is just suspended between the mounts? I would guess it would flex a little when weight is put on it.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mount the brackets to the floor first but leave enough play so they can move. Set the sean on top so you can get the brackets to line up in the right spot then tighten down the bolts on the floor, then just screw down the seat. You do have to remove the sliders on the seat and the brackets should use the same mounting holes.

Note that this is from a Gen 1, but I can't imagine it is much different for a gen 2. If you want pictures let me know what you would like to see but it is pretty quick and easy.

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mount the brackets to the floor first but leave enough play so they can move. Set the sean on top so you can get the brackets to line up in the right spot then tighten down the bolts on the floor, then just screw down the seat. You do have to remove the sliders on the seat and the brackets should use the same mounting holes.

Note that this is from a Gen 1, but I can't imagine it is much different for a gen 2. If you want pictures let me know what you would like to see but it is pretty quick and easy.

My concern was especially on front the bracket will be suspended in mid air without an support underneath it. First I think it would bend down and put a lot of stress on weld between the flat metal and the threaded riser., and second it would put stress on the seat frame, but once I removed the slider it look pretty solid.

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and don't forget to adjust your pedals

My problem is head room with the helmet not the peddles.

Here are so shots showing my head position with the seat set for max headroom forward a couple inches, back reclined. (the exact place the fixed st will be)
and also shots showing my concerns of the front brackets mounted on seat and floor.
The rear brackets won't reach the studs as the seat hits the carpet, I guess I'll have to leave them loose and try to tighten them in place but my arm is too fat to get under the seat with the front attached.

Attachments

• DSCN1444.jpg
    DSCN1444.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN1455.jpg
    DSCN1455.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN1457.jpg
    DSCN1457.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN1468.jpg
    DSCN1468.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN1446.jpg
    DSCN1446.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 110

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Jay...now you know why SammyV ALWAYS called me when working on his racing seat...my "Weasel Arm" goes everywhere...and rear left fastener is a BEAR to reach. It is easier with two folks...little weasel kneels in passenger seat, uses left hand to install rear bolts and to to guide socket (and maintain alignment of socket) while other dude supplies torque from outside, left of car through multiple extensions and universals.

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, thanks for the Call,
JonB said he would contact the suppler and get me instruction, but I am last minute needing it installed by the weekend.
I have a double bubble top and my helmet is touching the roof so the 2 inch drop should give me close to 2 inches.
I had the roof off to make it easier to take the seat in and out.
I have only worked on the seat a total of about 10 minutes after breakfast before going to work and another 5 minutes at lunch in dress clothes, so I'll get it tonight when I have time, I was just looking for a easier way. I'll just loosen up the back bolts hold the front up till I get the nuts started and slowly 1/4 turn at a time tighten all four for bolts on the back, then push the front down and the front will be easy.

The track made the old seat and track a breeze to remove.

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the seat in what a pain in the but, my hands and arms are too big front bolts were easy but the back was a bear.
Got it all together loose the tightened it up 1/8 of a turn at a time.

I like the driving position., I should be able to see stop lights.

Attachments

• DSCN1469.jpg
    DSCN1469.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN1471.jpg
    DSCN1471.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN1476.jpg
    DSCN1476.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN1477.jpg
    DSCN1477.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN1478.jpg
    DSCN1478.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 81

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The easiest way to install the 2" kit on the GenI/II is to cut the collar? rings that hold the lower seat cushion to the bottom of the seat frame. Lift up the bottom seat cushion and you have full access to all four mounting points. When finished, zip ties the seat (where the collar rings were) to the seat and done. I took pictures of the procedure when I did mine years ago but never got around to a write up. Someday. Enjoy the newfound headroom.

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The easiest way to install the 2" kit on the GenI/II is to cut the collar? rings that hold the lower seat cushion to the bottom of the seat frame. Lift up the bottom seat cushion and you have full access to all four mounting points. When finished, zip ties the seat (where the collar rings were) to the seat and done. I took pictures of the procedure when I did mine years ago but never got around to a write up. Someday. Enjoy the newfound headroom.

Do you have pictures of how, I may have to take the seat out some time, I dread doing it the way I did.
You can email them to me if you want. But I would like to see what you cut.

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best thing I ever did. The lower seat is great.
More comfortable.
Easier to get in the car I can even get in with helmet on with out breaking my neck.
Much better side vision when I turn my head left I can see out the window.
I can even see most traffic lights.
Even the shifter is in a more comfortable position.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have pictures of how, I may have to take the seat out some time, I dread doing it the way I did.
You can email them to me if you want. But I would like to see what you cut.

Trying to find the pics today but will post as soon as they're located. I bet it feels great to see traffic lights without having to look over the windshield. Enjoy!

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if you've ever taken your seats out or not, or what year you have. I have a '95. But it's really easy, and quick to remove the seats. Both driver and passenger side. Taking them out, and installing them. good luck!

OP
OP
J

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if you've ever taken your seats out or not, or what year you have. I have a '95. But it's really easy, and quick to remove the seats. Both driver and passenger side. Taking them out, and installing them. good luck!
Taking them out and re installing stock is no problem but lowered there is not enough space to fit my hand or arm in to reach the rear bolts.

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I would like to see what you mean as well...If you have any pics please post them.

93rt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a metal bracket that pivots down from the seat cushion that is connected to the seatframe. Once you clip the retainers (collar rings or whatever) that hold the cushion to the frame, the seat cushion pops right out. I will try to get some pics posted as I'm installing a 2" seat lowering kit right now. I just did that (removed the seat cushion) and it certainly made removing the seat (accessing the 4 floor bolts) easy. We'll see about re-installing once the lowering kit is installed, but I don't think I should have to get my popeye arms under the seat at all with the cushion removed?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a metal bracket that pivots down from the seat cushion that is connected to the seatframe. Once you clip the retainers (collar rings or whatever) that hold the cushion to the frame, the seat cushion pops right out. I will try to get some pics posted as I'm installing a 2" seat lowering kit right now. I just did that (removed the seat cushion) and it certainly made removing the seat (accessing the 4 floor bolts) easy. We'll see about re-installing once the lowering kit is installed, but I don't think I should have to get my popeye arms under the seat at all with the cushion removed?

Wow, did I forget to post pics here or what? I didn't remove my seat cushion but "peeled" it back and up out of the way so I could work easily with the bolts under the seat. I'm not certain how the Gen1 seats are but I would think you should be OK getting to the bolts once the seat is in place. If you can post pics, that would be a great reference for folks.