Help me before I do something stupid!

V1per

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the Indianapolis area and in the market for a Gen3 Viper. I have looked at a number of them and am looking for an all orginal non-modified car. I have found an 2004 Srt10 Red with 8700 miles on it. It has the original window sticker, delivery invoice, manuals/books, 2 keys and the convertible boot. I have inspected the car and it appears clean, it has minor curb rash on 2 wheels, a couple of scratches here and there in the normal spots. The one concern that I have is that on the passenger side front fender, it has a crack approx. 1 inch where the fender meets the front bumper. I didn't know if that would spread or it it could be an easy cosmetic fix without replacing the entire fender. It's a 2 owner car, I have spoken to the orignal owner and all was clear. The current owner provided me with a clean carfax and I pulled an Autocheck on it. All in all the car checks out and looks clean but I just want to make sure that I wasn't missing anything. We have an agreed price of $42000. Am I about to do make a purchase that I will regret or after 3 months of searching for the right car, am I an idiot for not jumping all over this. Your thoughts and feedback is appreciated and I look forward to joining the owners section soon!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That crack sounds like parking-lot damage..... private seller? Better to SEE the actual crack than buy a non-disclosed repair. To answer your question, extended high speeds CAN make a air-grabbing crack enlarge a tiny bit, but not likley. And an E-z fix, really. Are you confident on the HOW of the crack? Any further pressure could enlarge it. (RIM Plastic)

Are you comfortable that $42 K is a good number? You say 'agreed price' .... I have seen (red, common) as low as 36k, but ROUGH... You are very close to a GOOD number in my mind, $40k

Did you ask the local Dodge dealer to run the VIN # for work history? ANY DEALER CAN!

NOTE: NO INFO on a CarFax means NOTHING. It does NOT mean there is no info.... it means there is no info discovered/reported. We have seen several, ugly stories of 'clean" faxes on everything up to TOTALS.

GOOD LUCK getting your 3-month-quest fulfilled... ... many have quested far longer!

I am in the Indianapolis area and in the market for a Gen3 Viper. I have looked at a number of them and am looking for an all orginal non-modified car. I have found an 2004 Srt10 Red with 8700 miles on it. It has the original window sticker, delivery invoice, manuals/books, 2 keys and the convertible boot. I have inspected the car and it appears clean, it has minor curb rash on 2 wheels, a couple of scratches here and there in the normal spots. The one concern that I have is that on the passenger side front fender, it has a crack approx. 1 inch where the fender meets the front bumper. I didn't know if that would spread or it it could be an easy cosmetic fix without replacing the entire fender. It's a 2 owner car, I have spoken to the orignal owner and all was clear. The current owner provided me with a clean carfax and I pulled an Autocheck on it. All in all the car checks out and looks clean but I just want to make sure that I wasn't missing anything. We have an agreed price of $42000. Am I about to do make a purchase that I will regret or after 3 months of searching for the right car, am I an idiot for not jumping all over this. Your thoughts and feedback is appreciated and I look forward to joining the owners section soon!

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, JonB...V1per ( he's an Indy guy) and I were on the phone covering many of the same points when your post appeared. We are lining up a Viper Tech thru our "Motown connections". ASAP.

OP
OP
V

V1per

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for you help. You all have been very gracious in offering support and information.

I talked to Joe Prokes, Service Manager at Dick Scott Dodge in Michigan and I have an appointment Monday with their Viper Tech Ron to go through the car. I think he said $130 for a fully certified report and it includes a CarFax. Thanks again

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good deal V1per, you got two of the best guys in the viper game on your side now. Congrats on the future new toy!

Daren

OP
OP
V

V1per

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It did not. So I have been on the hunt for another one. I am hapy to say I just parked an 05 SRT with 5000 miles in the garage 5 minutes ago from a 8 hour round trip to bring her home. I am so excited. Thank you to all of you that provided excellent advice and guidance while I searched the country for the right one. Special thanks to Steve-Indy for all the guidance and the VCA of Indiana.
Steve - tell me where to send my check for my VCA dues, you've got me as a member!

I had this car inspected at Roanoke Dodge. I must say John Gastman, couldn't have been nicer. Viper Tech, Dave looked her over and gave the nod! Even though I bought the car from a private seller, the guys at Roanoke were extremely helpful. If you are in the market for a car and you live close, you should check them out!

Thanks again

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awsome search! You got lucky and found Steve-Indy to help you out too!

I am sure once you talked to him you found out he knows his Vipers!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
CONGRATS on your new Viper!! The IN/KY VCA "Bunch' are grateful for the "behind-the-scenes" help given to "V1per" by several of our Members, the Motor City VCA Members, Mike at Champion Dodge in Indy, and especially to the ILL VCA's Member (and friend-of-many-years)...Mr. John Gastman who help in MANY, MANY ways!!! We ALL would rather scout things on the front end BEFORE the deal goes through...as opposed to chasing after mis-understandings, mis-representations, and/or repairs AFTER the deal is done!!
WELCOME ABOARD !!!

V

Venomiss

Congratulations on your Viper and we look forward to seeing the Viper in your avatar when you join the VCA!

OP
OP
V

V1per

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics -
You must be registered for see images attach

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Steve in Indy is a great guy and you will have a blast with the IN/KY Club ------- enjoy your new baby and the VCA Club members are known for going out of their way to assist new Viper owners!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Steve Fess is an old fuddy-duddy! [And I remember when he was a newbee...........] CONGRATS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave