Never heard of a

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Four wheel alignment for a Viper. Is that really neccesary for a car like this.

???? A 4-wheel alignment is critically important for a Viper or for any sports car that has 4 wheel independent suspension. I think that the only car type that would not need it is a one with a solid rear axle, like a Mustang.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
???? A 4-wheel alignment is critically important for a Viper or for any sports car that has 4 wheel independent suspension. I think that the only car type that would not need it is a one with a solid rear axle, like a Mustang.

Even with a solid axle car you would check all 4 so that the thrust angle is not off.

OP
OP
C

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess you learn something new everyday

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess you learn something new everyday

That's what's fun about investigating different cars and why I tell car guys to not get stuck on a particular car forever. Always a new experience available, and no divorce involved if you go back to an older favorite !

You will find some threads here about alignment specs. Small changes in rear wheel toe settings can significantly affect how this car handles in regular every day highway driving, in addition to on the track driving.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Note: a Viper MOTORCYCLE only needs a 2-wheel alignment. All others need 4.

And a PERFORMANCE ALIGNMENT will excite you with no rut tracking, and crisp handling / cornering.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note: a Viper MOTORCYCLE only needs a 2-wheel alignment. All others need 4.

And a PERFORMANCE ALIGNMENT will excite you with no rut tracking, and crisp handling / cornering.
Hey Jon, how does a performance or track alignment affect a street car when used on the street after a track event? Need to go back to oem spec alignment or leave as is? Tire wear? Thanks

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge offers a special device specific to the Viper to allow for 4 wheel alignments.

Not all Viper service places have these. Certified ViperTech will know all about them. Some others are not aware of the specialized tools.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Jon, how does a performance or track alignment afect a street car when used on the street after a track event? Need to go back to oem spec alignment or leave as is? Tire wear? Thanks

Mark

Vipers are FLAT-FOOTED on factory alignment specs. This for max tire wear. The car has FLAT contact patches in the straights, but the inner shoulders lift off the pavement in hard corners. Most owners get even tire wear, but eat TWO sets of rears for ONE set of fronts. Maybe even 2.5 to one. Burnouts Matter!

A "performance" alignment rides the inner shoulders a bit more when driving straight. This makes the Viper flat-footed in CORNERS when you need the best handling possible. This is done by a conservative amount of "negative camber" where the tires tip inward at the top, and corresponding caster and tow adjustments to allow this. A performance alignment is the BEST value-investment for improved road-course or auto-cross handling you can buy. Faster lap times GUARANTEED. As a bonus, this also emliminates 90% of "rut tracking" in pavement seams and studded tire ruts. Note: any performance or normal Viper alignment is "four wheels."

Negative Camber DOES wear the inner shoulders 'prematurely' likely making you need 4 tires all at once. As a tech-inspector I have "felt" the inside shoulders of suspect rear tires, and had my fingers pierced by exposed steel belt cords! Inner shoulders are generally out-of-sight and must be checked periodically.

I think its a small price to pay to be stuck-like-glue with flat-footed tires in a hard corner. I have run all my Vipers since 1993 with a performance alignment, since I do a LOT of track events, and am not as concerned about tire wear. Every time I can cross paths with RUSS at Archer Racing I have him re-do my or Doris' Viper. We emerge with a car you can drive with 3 fingers. Russ is set-up genius..... so is Eric Messley at EMI.

A TRACK alignment is more aggressive still. Usually done only with 'competition rubber' componds on a track car that can benefit from it, the front camber can be 2.5-3.0 degrees negative, whereas a Performance alignement is based only 1-1.5 degrees negative. You would NOT want this track setup on a street car, but it would not be inherently dangerous. Would EAT soft rubber in a hurry.

FIRST, MAKE IT TURN BETTER.
THEN, MAKE IT STOP BETTER.
THEN, ADD POWER.

Last edited: