Viper owners did you put your front license plates on your car..if still required?

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure how many states require front plates on cars, but in NY and NJ it is a state requirement. Most of the Vipers in my area are sans front plates..

I am thinking of removing my front plate as well. It defeats the clean Viper frontal area look in my opinion.

Arthur

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper owners did you put your front license plates on your car..if still required

Required in TX also, don't have one on my Vipers, have been given warnings before by the police.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper owners did you put your front license plates on your car..if still required

Show the state how much money they can save by issuing half as many plates for the same fees and get the law changed. Throw in a few "for the children" comments to win the woman's vote. If the plate manufacturer isn't buddies with the politician it could change.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't run one on my car. But I will throw it up on the dash if I'm in an area where I think it could be an issue.

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I don't use one. I've noticed most Vettes don't have one either. Just to be safe, I keep the license plate attached to the front license plate holder, and store it in the trunk.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's a $135.00 ticket now in New York, trust me I know....:D

Husker

Viper Owner
Reaction score

In reference to Chuck 98...I don't believe it cost the state any money in the long run for the plates.

When you pick up your new tags, you will be charged for the new plates. So with that said, I bet the state is making money on the production of new plates when you pay your car registration taxes. Why would the state voluntarily loose money on something like this...pass the expense on to the consumers.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Got one ticket since 2008. Not bad. I refuse to put a front plate on the Viper.

1buddyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have one of these on order now, some Dealer bought out the whole stock as per JonB. For now I have the Front Plate under the Passenger floor mat, just in case of an "Emergency"....

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quickly scrolled through 15 pages of Google Image results for "Dodge Viper" and saw only one photo with front license plates.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score

one of the local Corvette clubs has introduced legislation to PAY not to have a front plate on a sports car. That way the govt gets extra money and you get screwed out of one plate. I hope it passes well worth it to me.

Bruce

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Pretty much it is required in my state, but I haven't put it on yet. I have the front mount and plate sitting in my trunk. Only had 1 person ask so far, a gate guard to get on base. I asked him if it was his car what he would do, and he let me through the gate.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the quick release license plate bracket from Partsrack.com. Front plates look like a$$ but the car draws enough attention from the local gendarme. Not taking a chance. I take it off at shows or if I'm cruising with a large group. Strength in numbers. :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

no chance id ever put a plate on mine. never had a ticket (yet)

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just put this in the trunk and play ignorant about not putting it on when stopped.

http://www.viperpartsrack.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=54&product_id=171

+1 ^^^ This :2tu: I believe the PartsRack clip-on plate holder reduced a ticket to a written warning a few weeks ago.

Two weeks ago a DPS officer pulled a 20-30 mph u-turn across a five lane divided highway to chase me down. Fortunately, I was doing under the speed limit (that time) as that is my normal spot to let her breath a bit before pulling back into the neighborhood.

Here's the script:
Officer: Sir do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: No Sir
Officer: It seems you are missing your front license plate.
Me: I'm sorry Sir, I just washed my car earlier today and must have left the plate off.
Officer: Do you realize a front license plate is required in the State of TX?
Me: Yes Sir, I have it in the trunk and it just snaps on without needing tools ... Would you like for me to put it on, only takes a few seconds.
Officer: I'd appreciate that Sir but please try to remember to put it back on after washing the car. I'll write this up as a warning.
Me: Thank you, Sir

Less than 5 minutes later, I was back home in the garage removing the front plate :D

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wouldn't run a front plate if I had to; but, Arkansas doesn't require it. If I understood correctly the Missouri legislature recently passed a law doing away with front plates.

F

FrgMstr

Just put this in the trunk and play ignorant about not putting it on when stopped.

http://www.viperpartsrack.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=54&product_id=171

I refuse to run a front plate, but I do keep it in the trunk on the mounting bracket linked above. Works well. Kinda like a big rubber clothepin that locks onto the front grill. On and off in seconds.

You must be registered for see images attach

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't run one, and have been busted 7 times on all my vehicles...it's the price to pay to look good!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Pin heads I call them aka Texas highway patrol love to stop you for ANYTHING inc. no front plate and the fine is around 98.00. I bought the rubber plate mount from PartsRack and its well worth the money and does no damage to front facia. Most of the time I run without it though as it looks goofy IMO.

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I refuse to run a front plate, but I do keep it in the trunk on the mounting bracket linked above. Works well. Kinda like a big rubber clothepin that locks onto the front grill. On and off in seconds.

+1 for this mount.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

in MA its required but I do not run one and have not been stopped for it.......if I do I will say "sorry office I was detailing my car and forgot to put it on, its in my trunk and clips on" have it in my truck with the rubber clips mounted on just in case

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No plate....never will.

Husker

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I built my own bracket. See the with and without the plate. It only takes a second to install and a few seconds to remove.

Never slips at higher speeds.

Last edited:

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was issued a summons to appear by a local p!8 for no front plate. Had to go to court 3 times just for that. What a waste of resources… And a judge nailed me with a fine also… I consider it as a cruel and unusual punishment.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In reference to Chuck 98...I don't believe it cost the state any money in the long run for the plates.

When you pick up your new tags, you will be charged for the new plates. So with that said, I bet the state is making money on the production of new plates when you pay your car registration taxes. Why would the state voluntarily loose money on something like this...pass the expense on to the consumers.

Serious?
Let's say the state charges the taxpayer $100 for tags and two plates.
And let's say the state pays their buddies at the plate manufacturing company $5 per plate.
Which means out of the original $100 the state is profiting $90.
So you convince the state to only issue one plate. Now their profit is $95. A gain of $5 per licensed auto.

There are 20 million people in New York. Let's say 10 million own cars and of those, 5 million are actually legal. 5,000,000 * $5 = $25,000,000.
$24,000,000 goes to the politicians and their buddies.
$1,000,000 goes to some youth thing.

Everybody wins.

Until the next year when the plate manufacturing company raises the price of a single plate to $10 to make up for the $5 loss.
The state now sees a loss of $25,000,000. So to make up for that loss they raise the price of tags to $150.

Now the plate manufacturer wins.
The politicians win.
The politicians' buddies win.

Taxpayer loses.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

no chance id ever put a plate on mine. never had a ticket (yet)

C'mon down to Captree some Sunday morning Plum, we can hook you up with one...:D
I'm on number 5.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

+1 ^^^ This :2tu: I believe the PartsRack clip-on plate holder reduced a ticket to a written warning a few weeks ago.

Two weeks ago a DPS officer pulled a 20-30 mph u-turn across a five lane divided highway to chase me down. Fortunately, I was doing under the speed limit (that time) as that is my normal spot to let her breath a bit before pulling back into the neighborhood.

Here's the script:
Officer: Sir do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: No Sir
Officer: It seems you are missing your front license plate.
Me: I'm sorry Sir, I just washed my car earlier today and must have left the plate off.
Officer: Do you realize a front license plate is required in the State of TX?
Me: Yes Sir, I have it in the trunk and it just snaps on without needing tools ... Would you like for me to put it on, only takes a few seconds.
Officer: I'd appreciate that Sir but please try to remember to put it back on after washing the car. I'll write this up as a warning.
Me: Thank you, Sir

Less than 5 minutes later, I was back home in the garage removing the front plate :D

I can absolutely promise you that the script above will not work with a New York State Trooper.
They ignore PBA cards. You have no chance.
They are on a mission from God.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Never ran one on any of my sports cars for the last 20 yrs.... never been stopped either. I don't plan on adding front plates ever.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave