Viper Rides, Exotics too, for Dornboechers Children's Hospital

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This weekend Aug 12-14 is the 25th Annual DornBoecher Dash at PIR-Portland, hosed by Cascade Sports Car Club.
CSCC is the club that BUILT PIR-Portland.

Since 1993, we have joined the "Dornboecher Dash", providing a race-experiece to terminally ill kids and their families. So often, the healthy siblings get less attention, while the sick child is a natural focus. At the DASH, the ill sibling is a FAMILY PIT PASS for entire families to ride and/or photo-op in race cars, pace cars, exotic cars, fire trucks, wreckers, and more. {Not surprisingly, the Ambulances, while available, are the least-requested vehicles by these families .} Every kid gets a hot-wheels VIPER, in a back-pack of goodies.

We stage a 3-lap heat-race for the cameras, and a lot of fun is had by all.

Thank God For your own healthy family.

Track admission is FREE to everyone. The public is invited to come out Fri-Sat-Sun to ride hot-laps in Vipers, FordGT, ZR-1 Vette, a Ferrari and Lambo, an historic gull-wing Lola, a 1970 Superbird, and many more. A Delorean is also available for kids photos and parking-lot-kids rides Sat-Sun.

OREGON-SW WASHINGTON OWNERS: If you have a relative or friend who has 'always wanted a Viper Ride at speed' this weekend is the time. Weather forecast is PERFECT. Exotic car Rides are by donation, and $25-$50 will get them in a VIPER or other exotic for 3 laps. This is the only weekend where we purchase the insurance needed to take KIDS in race cars and exotic cars.

Crossley's BBQ is Saturday..... a dont-miss event.
But even Dick and Nicky will be Vipering at PIR on SUNDAY, along with Jon and Doris FRI-SAT-SUN. Best time to come out is 10a-1p, but rides happen all day long between real qualifying and racing events.

On average, we raise about $15k per year for the Kids Hospital. The event T-shirt has our Viper ACR on the front, the 3rd time since 1993 we have had this honor. This is the most heartwarming type of event a Viper Owner can do, similiar to Make-A-Wish rides. If you cant make it to PIR, deductible donations made to DORNBOECHERS HOSPITAL DASH can be sent to Oregon VCA or PartsRack.

Thank You

Last edited:

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, I'm still in Germany but I should be home in a day or two, how do you accept donations for this event sent to PartsRack? Credit card, money order, or personal check? I'll either do it by email or get a check to you as soon as I get home. Take care. Jeff

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We've just added a F-40 Ferrari !! I may have to buy a ride meeself, and they might let me drive. I did buy a Lola ride a while back.

Jeff, I dont want ANY funds made out to PartsRack....thanks. Checks to DORNBOECHERS HOSPITAL DASH sent here or OR VCA is preferred... We give the hospital the money at our Christmas Party in early December. THANK YOU

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to help out on Sunday. Ill be at the track with myh 03 comvertable. Always open for kids to hang out in. Ill be there.

-Brant

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I showed up on Sunday to see what was going on. There were quite a few race cars and maybe 10 supercars waiting for riders. The list of cars was something like this. ZR1, NSX, 2 vipers, Superbird, Audi R8, GT3 and such. Sound like Im talking in code. My first ride was with John from Parts Rack. Ok John, You took it easy on me, but you have one incredible car! I had a great time riding in your Viper. I gotta get rid of my Run Craps any day now. But the hilight of the day was a ride in the Ford GT(race ready). Holy COW!!! what a fast and crazy ride. It was a balls to the wall ride. 160+ on the straights. I was having the time of my life!

So this event was not all for the fun of showing off the cars. It was for the kids. Kids that have not had the grand life that we have had. Some will not see the next year. Im glad that eveyone could donate their time, tires and some gasoline to put a smile on these little faces. I wished my car was out there putting the smiles on also.

I want to also thank PIR for staging this event for free. The rides were a couple dollars, but admission was free. Thanks to Dick for showing up after one hell of a BBQ. We ate like wild animals and Im sure he stayed up late cleaning up after us.

I have a few photos and the crazy Ford GT ride on video. Yes, somewhere I do say Good GOD!! I immediatly went home and cleaned out my shorts. Here is the link

http://wehrphotography.smugmug.com/Cars/Dornbeckers-Ride-along/18540875_hXDc5t#1431409362

-Brant 2003 Black/yellow roadster.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great to meet you Brant, and THANKS for the donation to the kids hospital. Great Photos too, (But my ACR is missing?!?) Your laps w/ me in ACR was as a Pace Car..... lazy vs the F-GT, also due to the fact that we had 120mph speed limit when "towing" the Cobras, Audi, Superbird, etc.

Happy to afterwards stick you solo-ride in the 760HP F-GT, with Gary B. a PIR multi-record holder at the wheel. (He also holds a Guiness Book record!) Also note when you watch the vid, the F-GT was NOT ON SLICKS either!

Dick's BBQ is always a feast, and sorry to have to miss it this year for the Kids Dash.

Minor Correction for your notes: PIR does NOT waive their track fee.....they charge full bore. Our sports car club (CSCC) pays the weekend rental and all other bills, and sanctions the event. {PartsRack is a sponsor too.} The INSURANCE is a bugger, since we take kids......and SICK kids at that. And hence, the 120mph speed limit in paced-rides. So Brant, your donation is much appreciated. Sorry I missed seeing YOUR Viper! OCT 14 you can track it.

Thanks to DICK, TONY, DORIS for donating their wear-tear-time for the Kids.

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing a few details up John. Im sorry I didnt get a phto of your car, but I did get the video of the hot lap. Follow the link in my last post and your ACR is now there. Thanks for the ride. Incredible car. You put some great personal touches to it.

-Brant

kyleblix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great pics and video! Thanks for posting those Brant! That GT ride looked insane. If this happens again next year I'll have to make it a point to get out there.

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Dornboecher Dash has been going on, Rain or Shine, for 26 years. Dodge Viper is the Official Pace car since 1993. This year we donated over $16,000 cash to the Kids Cardiac wing, and in December a huge truckload of donated toys also goes to all the kids.

See You Next Year!

Dick C
Tony C
Doris R
Jon B

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper