OBD-II Datalogger recommendations

jsarker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been reading the forums a bunch, but haven't seen too much mention of OBD-II dataloggers and what people are currently using. I want to log the usual parameters (RPM, speed, air intake temperature) and, ideally, would like to log knock counts and load (if that is even available). I also want to be able to wire in a wideband O2 sensor.

I've looked at a couple logging applications, and ScanXL seems to stand out. They don't have additional diagnostics support for Chrysler/Dodge, but they do have the generic OBD-II fields. And the Pro version supports wideband O2s, including the AEM UEGO I'm installing. More information here: http://www.scantool.net/software/scanxl-pro.html

So what are other people using? And what do you recommend? It doesn't necessarily have to OBD-II based, but I'd rather not spend a future on datalogging.

Just for reference, I have a 2005 Viper with basic mods (intake, exhaust) and a great Roe Racing tune. I'm adding the AEM UEGO and planning to tinker a bit with SCT Pro racer software; that's why I'm looking into datalogging now.

Thanks.

-Jon
'05 Dodge Viper

OP
OP
J

jsarker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I ended up getting the Scantool ScanXL software along with the OBDLink cable. I will report back once I have a chance to get some logs of the car. Right now I'm in the midst of getting the wideband wired up.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use my Droid device with the Torque application and a bluetooth adapter plugged into the OBDII port. It provides real-time graphing and display of a lot of parameters (whatever your PCM will provide), and you can save the data to a file and then upload to your PC for graphing/analysis. It also clears codes, has a GPS feature that correlates your position to the engine parameters (and acts as a great lap timer), and does all the other stuff that a GTech Pro would do (acceleration, HP, etc. calculations). I'm really happy with it.

What I like most about it is the wireless nature - I can be anywhere around the car and it doesn't lose its link. This was really helpful when trying to troubleshoot some wiring issues to my O2 sensors. I could watch the O2 sensor voltage graph as I was messing with things, and it was really easy to find where the problem was.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the Torque app interface with the Dodge-specific parameters, or just the basic OBD-II items?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper