Gen1 Speedometer is Broken

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gents,
The speedometer on my 1995 RT/10 (22K miles) suddenly stopped working last Saturday (Oddly enough just after I was pulled over/recieved a slow down speech from officer friendly!).

The speedometer unit still lights up /odometer is not working/all other electonics are working correctly (turn signals etc.)

Car does not have the radio /speed compensating control volume control (original cassette stereo).

I have consulted the Dodge shop manual (will check speed sensor and wiring harness)

Any other ideas or words of wisdom as I work through the issue are much appreciated.

Thanks

OP
OP
R

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update - I deep charged /conditioned the battery and took my viper on a test run. Still no speedometer/odometer readings.

What now?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order for it to re-set, you must drive the car so that the needle reaches top speed and returns to zero!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator at 914-763-3136. It may just be the speed sensor in the transmission that has failed. If it is the sensor, it will be an easy fix.

OP
OP
R

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

Will do - I love to run my car up to speed!!!.

My viper has apgraded headers/exhaust/ upgraded intakes / throttle bodies = fun!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta admit, I like Steve's method..... !! lol

But probably a bad sensor.

OP
OP
R

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update-

I ordered a new speed sensor (consulted the shop manual - ran the Part # down etc.). Removed the current speed sensor from the drivers side of the transmission and compared to the new sensor. They do not match - old one is smaller in diameter and is flat on the end that gets inserted into the transmission / replacement is larger diameter and has a small spindle shaft coming out of the end that gets inserted into the transmission.

The part # I recieved matched the Part # I got from Dodge parts website.

What am I missing here? was 1995 a wierd year for transimmisons / sensors?

Any ideas on how/where I could get the correct sensor?

Thanks

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you use the vehicle Vin # when ordering the part? Maybe they changed sensors mid year? Might want to call Chuck and see what he thinks.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you get this before you order a new sensor. I have an extra one in my garage. I only had a few miles on my 95 and the speedometer started bouncing to zero and dying at times. I thought the speed sensor so bought one and replaced it. Did not fix it. Ended up being a bad PCM which cost me $400 or so if I recall.

OP
OP
R

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your 'sage' advice and comments.
My speedometer is now working perfectly. It came back to life as I was driving back from a car show this past Sat morning. The following is a recap of my repair efforts and insights (ISO of anyone who runs into the same speedometer problem):

- I consulted my 95 viper shop manual
- pulled the speed sensor (was a small diameter - round - flat ended unit (no spindle) - had the words 'micro switch' imprinted on it. (also checked transmission fluid level = good thing to do as the plug is near the speed sensor)
- As I am not the original owner of the viper - I also checked for aftermarket diff gear (contrary to my previous posting - the car has 3:55 rear gearing). The speedo is accurate (per my GPS) and I now assume that the car has the compensation kit installed.
- I traced all associated speed sensor and speedometer wires and splices (shop manual does a great job laying ou the electrical wiring harness) - no issues
- I checked all fuses - no issues (I did notice a thin wire running across the fuse box / fuses - connected to a screw that appears to hold the fuse box to the chassis - wire is spliced into the wiring harness closest to the fusebox) - ANY IDEA ON WHAT THIS WIRE IS OR MAY SUPPORT?)
- performed battery deep charge and condition cycle (using my PULSETECH brand battery charger - great compact charger that I highly reccomend - We (USMC) use them to support our vehicle in long term storage aboard ship and storage sites around the world).
-

OP
OP
R

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AAAGGHH ! Speedometer is now working intermittently (perfectly) - every other time I start/drive the car. Maddening. I am begining to think that iti is the PCM. Any more help and advice is much appreciated.

Also - on another note - I am more than willing to trade gen1 interior finishing advice (as I redid my interior in the original factory quartz color and maintained the original matte black gauge surrounds) for speedometer advice.

cheers,

Pete