Gen1 Speedometer is Broken

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gents,
The speedometer on my 1995 RT/10 (22K miles) suddenly stopped working last Saturday (Oddly enough just after I was pulled over/recieved a slow down speech from officer friendly!).

The speedometer unit still lights up /odometer is not working/all other electonics are working correctly (turn signals etc.)

Car does not have the radio /speed compensating control volume control (original cassette stereo).

I have consulted the Dodge shop manual (will check speed sensor and wiring harness)

Any other ideas or words of wisdom as I work through the issue are much appreciated.

Thanks

OP
OP
R

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update - I deep charged /conditioned the battery and took my viper on a test run. Still no speedometer/odometer readings.

What now?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order for it to re-set, you must drive the car so that the needle reaches top speed and returns to zero!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator at 914-763-3136. It may just be the speed sensor in the transmission that has failed. If it is the sensor, it will be an easy fix.

OP
OP
R

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

Will do - I love to run my car up to speed!!!.

My viper has apgraded headers/exhaust/ upgraded intakes / throttle bodies = fun!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta admit, I like Steve's method..... !! lol

But probably a bad sensor.

OP
OP
R

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update-

I ordered a new speed sensor (consulted the shop manual - ran the Part # down etc.). Removed the current speed sensor from the drivers side of the transmission and compared to the new sensor. They do not match - old one is smaller in diameter and is flat on the end that gets inserted into the transmission / replacement is larger diameter and has a small spindle shaft coming out of the end that gets inserted into the transmission.

The part # I recieved matched the Part # I got from Dodge parts website.

What am I missing here? was 1995 a wierd year for transimmisons / sensors?

Any ideas on how/where I could get the correct sensor?

Thanks

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you use the vehicle Vin # when ordering the part? Maybe they changed sensors mid year? Might want to call Chuck and see what he thinks.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you get this before you order a new sensor. I have an extra one in my garage. I only had a few miles on my 95 and the speedometer started bouncing to zero and dying at times. I thought the speed sensor so bought one and replaced it. Did not fix it. Ended up being a bad PCM which cost me $400 or so if I recall.

OP
OP
R

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your 'sage' advice and comments.
My speedometer is now working perfectly. It came back to life as I was driving back from a car show this past Sat morning. The following is a recap of my repair efforts and insights (ISO of anyone who runs into the same speedometer problem):

- I consulted my 95 viper shop manual
- pulled the speed sensor (was a small diameter - round - flat ended unit (no spindle) - had the words 'micro switch' imprinted on it. (also checked transmission fluid level = good thing to do as the plug is near the speed sensor)
- As I am not the original owner of the viper - I also checked for aftermarket diff gear (contrary to my previous posting - the car has 3:55 rear gearing). The speedo is accurate (per my GPS) and I now assume that the car has the compensation kit installed.
- I traced all associated speed sensor and speedometer wires and splices (shop manual does a great job laying ou the electrical wiring harness) - no issues
- I checked all fuses - no issues (I did notice a thin wire running across the fuse box / fuses - connected to a screw that appears to hold the fuse box to the chassis - wire is spliced into the wiring harness closest to the fusebox) - ANY IDEA ON WHAT THIS WIRE IS OR MAY SUPPORT?)
- performed battery deep charge and condition cycle (using my PULSETECH brand battery charger - great compact charger that I highly reccomend - We (USMC) use them to support our vehicle in long term storage aboard ship and storage sites around the world).
-

OP
OP
R

RAWV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AAAGGHH ! Speedometer is now working intermittently (perfectly) - every other time I start/drive the car. Maddening. I am begining to think that iti is the PCM. Any more help and advice is much appreciated.

Also - on another note - I am more than willing to trade gen1 interior finishing advice (as I redid my interior in the original factory quartz color and maintained the original matte black gauge surrounds) for speedometer advice.

cheers,

Pete

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4