Thread: Best Bang for the Buck in a Used Luxury Sports Car Under $30k

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Viper Owner

Default Re: Best Bang for the Buck in a Used Luxury Sports Car Under $30k

Quote Originally Posted by v10enomous View Post
    Thanks for all of the input but after looking around I'm going to save my pennies for a Gen4 coupe...
    That being said Why are people still offering opinions, Bad opinions at that.
    The original post and Title of this thread say "Luxury Sports Car". A sportscar implies 2-doors. How could any viper owner consider something like a Benze / Lincoln / AcuraTL a sportscar. These are Boring 4-door Family Cars. Period.

There is Nothing Lux about a challenger.

Caddy XLR &&& Jag XK8/XKR are the two best options i see in this thread.
    -The XLR is overpriced IMO
    -XK8 is the best bang for the buck @ around 15-20grand

Find a great deal on a used XK8 and you can flip it in a year or two for the same price or minimal loss to fund your Gen4 ....OR Gen5 Viper

Viper Owner

Spot on Dom... I just had the itch for a car and was considering a stylish 2 seater or maybe 2+2 that I could actually do weekend trips in and not stand out too much like the GTS does. The itch has subsided for now. The only cars that I would really consider for that purpose in that price range would be the Cayman or maybe a stripe-less 07-08 GT500. As it stands right now I'm not in any real rush to buy anything with so many good cars on the horizon. No harm no foul with the suggestions as I enjoy everyone's perspective on all these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom426h View Post
    The original post and Title of this thread say "Luxury Sports Car". A sportscar implies 2-doors. How could any viper owner consider something like a Benze / Lincoln / AcuraTL a sportscar. These are Boring 4-door Family Cars. Period.

There is Nothing Lux about a challenger.

Caddy XLR &&& Jag XK8/XKR are the two best options i see in this thread.
    -The XLR is overpriced IMO
    -XK8 is the best bang for the buck @ around 15-20grand

Find a great deal on a used XK8 and you can flip it in a year or two for the same price or minimal loss to fund your Gen4 ....OR Gen5 Viper

Viper Owner

If you want to stay with a 2 door I would say the audi S5 or BMW M3
    Last edited by snakem04; 11-16-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by MoreBeer View Post
    This thread his close to home... My dad has a '93 Mark VIII sitting in his garage in excellent condition. It hasn't moved in ~10 years, but that car was way ahead of its time.

-mb
    I just got my dad's old 93 Mark back after being away for 3 years. I bought it off my mom when he passed. My brother talked me out of it and then "trashed" the car. I found it sitting in the grass 2 weeks ago. Guess it had been there since spring. I was pissed and took it back.

Viper Owner

Smile Re: Best Bang for the Buck in a Used Luxury Sports Car Under $30k

Quote Originally Posted by Dom426h View Post
    The original post and Title of this thread say "Luxury Sports Car".
    Can't see where your beef is ? The original poster asked about 'Luxury Sports Cars'
    To the best of my knowledge , the Lincoln LS meant to be a BMW 'luxury sports car' fighter.
    LS = luxury sport ! Tought you knew that .

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by vancouver-gts View Post
    Can't see where your beef is ? The original poster asked about 'Luxury Sports Cars'
    To the best of my knowledge , the Lincoln LS meant to be a BMW 'luxury sports car' fighter.
    LS = luxury sport ! Tought you knew that .
    Luxury Sport means different things to different people. Just like what a "chick's" car is , or nanny controls, or not-a-cupholders.

Viper Owner

I was originally thinking along the lines of the examples in my original post like a 2 seater or a 2+2.

"It looks like the Mercedes SL cars really depreciate as well as the Jag XK's. Even Porsche Caymans seem to be great deals used."

That was 3 months ago and I'm happy to say that I fought off the impulse even though there are some killer deals out there on some decent cars.

It's easy to see how the lines can be blurred over a term like "Luxury Sports Car" in a time when car makers want to market their cars as all things to all people. No harm no foul.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
    Luxury Sport means different things to different people. Just like what a "chick's" car is , or nanny controls, or not-a-cupholders.
    I know the diff between a luxury sport Lincoln LS and a luxury sport Aston Jaguar or Mercedes. None of those would you find under 30K like the OP asked !
    He could find a Boxter or Z3 chick car for under 30K but those're border line luxury , might as well drive his Viper daily.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by vancouver-gts View Post
    I know the diff between a luxury sport Lincoln LS and a luxury sport Aston Jaguar or Mercedes. None of those would you find under 30K like the OP asked !
    He could find a Boxter or Z3 chick car for under 30K but those're border line luxury , might as well drive his Viper daily.
    I like that idea!

Enthusiast

Guess you never owned a Jag, BMW or Mercedes.

Poor quality? To each his own but I have to disagree. Many Lincoln owners are getting 200k miles plus.

Even when minor things go wrong with a Jag, the car is junked. It does not take long to spend over the value of the car in parts. Want to buy a battery for the Jag? Got to buy the Jag battery. Why? Standard batteries will not fit. 12 bucks a spark plug. Better put the Jag coolant in. Make sure you get the right year, either "Pink" or "Yellow". You add the wrong stuff in, you solidify stuff in your system.

BWM and their Reset tool is infamous. How about Mercedes and its top of the line cars. Ever seen the top of the line specialty tools on those? Can actually scare you.

And Ford actually owned Jag, Aston and Land Rover. If you look correctly, you can see sharing of the technology between the lines. I sure did.

Viper Owner

I had a Jag and 2 BMWs. Repair and service costs will probably keep me away from both in the future.

Viper Owner

I know V10enomous has stopped looking but this is a cool thread topic. I like the Caddical XLR-V in the 30's if you can get one that is clean and they were really expensive new and pretty exclusive. I agree that if you buy used with an expired warranty then stick domestic. Lots of expensive add ons on luxury parts can fail and be expensive to fix which is another reason why I hate tech nannies but I don't want to change the topic.

Viper Owner

I had a Jag and 2 BMWs. Repair and service costs will probably keep me away from both in the future.
    Yeah, I have an M3 now and I will tell you this. People in the BMW community will tell you that the car is not right for you unless you're welling to do repairs yourself or have no regard for money.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by SlayerLS1 View Post
    Yeah, I have an M3 now and I will tell you this. People in the BMW community will tell you that the car is not right for you unless you're welling to do repairs yourself or have no regard for money.
    It's pretty shameless when you go to the BMW Dealer. It's almost as if they're laughing at you. I hate to be humiliated like that. The Jaguar dealers are few and far between and I've never seen such clueless people in my life. I'm on board with the Lincolns though. I always check out the odometer on my way to the airport and 250k or even over 300k is not unusual. Of course they stopped making town cars and Marq's.

VCA Member
    Virginia / Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by SlayerLS1 View Post
    Yeah, I have an M3 now and I will tell you this. People in the BMW community will tell
    you that the car is not right for you unless you're welling to do repairs yourself or have
    no regard for money.
    I've said it before - out of the 36 cars I've owned, the only one I have taken a complete
    bath on (finacially and spiritually) was my BMW 540i. It was an incredibly fun car to drive...
    ... ... if you could keep it going. Of all the cars listed above I guess the question becomes
    what's your definition of "bang for the buck" - if you mean best performance for the
    purcahsing dollar then I could see how the eurotrash contenders would be appealing. If
    the question is for TOTAL cost of ownership/operation you simply cannot go wrong with a
    Miata with heated seats (heated seats are luxurious right?)
    I drive WAY too fast to be worried about cholesterol.

Viper Owner

Funny thing with the BMWs is that I can't tell them apart from a Honda or a Toyota any more. At least the Jaguars have unique and artful styling. I will say that BMW has the whole riding on rails thing going for it.

Viper Owner

Funny thing with the BMWs is that I can't tell them apart from a Honda or a Toyota any more. At least the Jaguars have unique and artful styling. I will say that BMW has the whole riding on rails thing going for it.
    It was stupid of me [ or bad advice according to Dom426 ] to recommend the Lincoln . Should have recommended the BMW Z8 . Only problem is ,I haven't seen one under six figures, yet . Worst scenario with the M series models is ,the Vanos system ,$$$$$$$ if anything goes wrong. So what did you decided on ,anything ?

Friend has the identical car [ his is a 99] to this. This one has a bit high milage for a Ferrari but these 12 cyl's lasts a long time. Belt maintenance is around $7K and has to be done quite frequently. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nv...725702738.html
    Last edited by vancouver-gts; 12-04-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2